iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member, just bought a new mill...

Started by Agman55, October 06, 2021, 02:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agman55

Greetings everyone,
I'm a new member here so please forgive me for any mistakes as I'm just learning the ropes. 

I own a small farm, which has quite a bit of good timber on it ( lots of white Oak, honey locust, and Walnut). I love woodworking, and visited this site many times as a "guest", so I feel honored to be a member now. 

I make log furniture and just purchased a Woodland Mills HM 126 14 hp sawmill which, due to Covid, I wont get until the end of November. :-\  I can't wait till it gets here as I have many plans for it already such as building a new shop and barn which were lost to extreme winds this past spring. I also just bought an almost brand new Stihl MS290 chainsaw so I'm looking forward to putting it to work as well.

I look forward to learning more from all the knowledgeable people here and hope I can contribute myself, in helping others in any way I can.

Best wishes and regards to all,
Jeff (Agman55)

trimguy

Welcome and congratulations on the new saws !

WV Sawmiller

Welcome. We'd love details such as your location and background? Auburn fan? Love grits? All the critical info. The more we know the more info we can provide to any questions or comments you provide. Keep us posted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Glad you joined.
How will you get the logs from the woods to the mill?
Get a Logrite cantdog or peavey.  ;D   logrite_cool Sponsor on the left, nice people!! You will need something to help turn those logs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VB-Milling

Welcome aboard!

Many very happy HM126 owners here, myself included.  Good call getting the 14hp.  I hope you picked up a track extension as well.

Most people have gotten their mills early from Woodland Mills, but that was back when they were estimating 4 months. 
HM126

Patrick NC

Welcome to the forum.  May you soon have sawdust in your shoes and all of your pockets!
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Nebraska

Enjoy the trip down the rabbit hole, sawdust  is very powerful.  :)

Sixacresand

Glad you joined and welcome.  Enjoy your mill and the Forestry Forum!
John H
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

maple flats

Agman55, when did you order your mill? I ordered my HM130MAX on May3rd and was told it would ship by Aug 31, it arrived July 29, I picked it up at the local terminal. Are you also a member of the Woodland Mills owner's group?  You might also want to join it. It helped me a lot just reading about others who had issues and how they were remedied. 
If I were you, I'd get ready, my guess is that your email saying the mill has been sent to the warehouse will come sooner rather than later. Woodland mills tends to estimate lead times on the extremely conservative side.
Welcome to the FF.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Agman55

Hello all,

Ok, here goes my 3rd try at posting a reply here ??? :-\  I type it, I try to post it,...it goes away!!!???

Anyhow, I'm trying to reply to the very kind posts left here, thank you all so much for the warm greetings!

First for some more background, I'm located in north central Missouri, I love to restore cars, trucks, tractors, etc. and woodworking. One of my favorite things to do with wood is making log furniture, for which I have a nice set of bits to do that. Then, as mentioned, I just purchased a Woodland Mills sawmill, however, thanks to the "Covid" situation, my estimated delivery date is Nov. 30th!  :'(
Bummer!

I bought the HM 126 mill with the 14 hp. engine, I also purchased a track extension, a box of blades, and the protective cover. Most of the siding I do is board and batten so I didn't get the lap siding attachment but if need be I can always get it later. I also have 3 trailers (2 gooseneck and 1 bumperpull) so I didn't need to get their trailer package.

Someone asked if I belong to some club of Woodland Mill owners, I currently am not but I'm going to look into it because I think I would like to join it, thanks for the heads up! 

There was also a question regarding how I get my logs out of my woods, well I have 2 Case 800 diesel tractors (1 wide front and 1 narrow front) along with 2 Yamaha quads (a Grizzly 660 and a Kodiak 400) at my disposal to get the job done, it depends on the size of the log(s) and the terrain as to which item I use to retrieve them.

If you all would be so kind to let me know what you might like to see pictures or videos of, I will certainly do my best to get them posted.

Thanks again for all the nice and kind greetings, I love this site and all of you make it one of the best on the internet in my opinion.

Best wishes,
Jeff (Agman55)

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. As to pictures we love them all and don't forget to include the mistakes because that is how most of us learned and often continue to learn. I promise we will will laugh with, not at, you so don't be shy. You can include felling, bucking, loading, transporting, sawing, drying, and actual use into finished projects as we all have questions and interest in it all. 

If you search you will likely find answers to most questions related to wood here somewhere. If you don't see it just ask. Be sure to check out all the threads and not just one or two. You'd be surprised at what you can learn about topics you never even thought about before and more important, things you know about and can help others.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Agman55

Thanks for the info, I guess I better figure out how to post pictures then, once I do I will post as much as possible, or until someone tells me to quit! :-\ 

Just yesterday I scored a practically new Stihl MS290 chainsaw at auction, I would post a picture of it but again, I have to figure out how to!,??!

Agman55

I forgot to add, I visited this site many times as a guest, and all the fantastic information is why I wanted to join myself. So I absolutely will continue to check out as many posts as I can, and hopefully I can contribute myself.

SawyerTed

Let me tell you you will never have enough tractors, loaders, edgers, kilns, cant hooks, a big enough truck, a large enough shed, a big enough chipper, enough ways to get rid of sawdust and slabs, you won't ever have enough stickers, and then there's conveyors, the shed addition, a planer, a bigger truck, sharpener/setter, sharpening shed, a bigger trailer.

Then there are the upgrades.... :D

Welcome to the forum and this crazy hard, fun, challenging and very dusty addiction  business!

There is no cure!  It's generally not painful but can be expensive. :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Agman55

You sure got that right SawyerTed!!! But isn't the journey to "having enough" fun......even though we NEVER do get there!??! 8)

Agman55

Here goes nothing.....going to try and post pics of my "new" barely used Stihl MS 290 I just got at auction.

DesertHobo

How's that 290 run? Looks in very good condition.

Crossroads

Congratulations on the new mill, welcome to the forum and enjoy 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Agman55

This MS 290 has hardly been used, it is in extremely good condition and runs like a new one, I have a video of it starting and running but I'm still trying to figure out how to post videos. I guess I got pics down but videos must be a different animal, and being somewhat "technically challenged", I'm having a bit of a difficulty. ??? ::)

Percy

Quote from: Agman55 on October 09, 2021, 11:50:53 AM
 I'm still trying to figure out how to post videos.  
There may be other ways but what I do for vids is upload to youtube and then put the link on my post....... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

VB-Milling

Quote from: Agman55 on October 09, 2021, 11:50:53 AM
This MS 290 has hardly been used, it is in extremely good condition and runs like a new one, I have a video of it starting and running but I'm still trying to figure out how to post videos. I guess I got pics down but videos must be a different animal, and being somewhat "technically challenged", I'm having a bit of a difficulty. ??? ::)

Pretty sure videos have to be hosted elsewhere, like Youtube, Vimeo or the like and then linked/embedded in the post.
HM126

farmfromkansas

I've also been having trouble with posts, just about get done typing, and it just evaporates.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Nebraska

Nifty chainsaw doesn't look broke in yet. :)

Thank You Sponsors!