iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade adjustable outriggers and portable crane

Started by gholbrook, March 24, 2014, 09:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gholbrook

Thanks GA Mtn man for pics you posted of your outriggers. It sure inspired me to make some for my mill. Their going to be real nice when I go saw.  Also been working on mounting crane on the neck of my gooseneck trailer. I just need to get it wired up now and I'll be ready to go get some logs. It's sure going to save some time.

2010 LT 40 with homemade hydraulics and loader. 5205 John Deere with FEL. Wrangler 5000 articulating  rubber tired loader.

YellowHammer

Great job, cool rig. 8)
A trick to using the extendable boom service cranes for fetching logs is to rely less on the winch to dead pull and drag logs (because it is a worm gear and relatively slow) and rely more on the cranes ability to "fish" logs quickly using it as a fishing rod and "pump" the logs to the trailer using the boom hydraulic raise and lower function, using chain hooks to shorten the distance to the logs, and using the single to double cable to change length very quickly.
This technique will retrieve and load logs much faster than simply dragging them with the winch.
Anyway, whatever you do, you've got a great rig to get logs. 8)
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

ArnoldFarms

I thought those mills came with outriggers??  Ours did.  Love the crane idea!
Faith, Family, Job

Magicman

It came with outriggers.  The OP converted the stock outriggers to "fine adjust".   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!