iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good deals

Started by bandmiller2, November 04, 2012, 08:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Don't know how many of you haunt flea markets and yard sales but some super deals can be had.I have found new in the box bit swaging tools for .50,good nail guns for $12.00 ea. Today found a growler for testing starter armatures and commutators.Don't bother looking at the chinese blister pack stuff check out the old tools in the boxes under the bench.Your liable to find alot of stuff to build and repair mills, cheap.Friend of mine bought a stihl 026 18" bar for $5.00 at a church sale and it runs.Their worth a look. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I like going through a "real" flea market too.

I don't like those that seem to have 9,000 chinese made knives and other trinkets to pick through!

I like auctions too!

Sometimes you can really find some deals.

A while back, I got a tool for changing cross-links in tire chains for $5.00, and the kicker is I would'nt take $100.00 for it today.

You just never know what'll show up.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

I quit going to auction long ago.  Don't have all day to stand around and buy stuff I didn't come for and likely never use.   After accumulating a train car load of "stuff", I've got no more room.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Meadows Miller

Gday

Frank I like going to them but have not been to a propper one in years I do have a bad tendancy to drag home big stuff Trucks meaning 18 whellers sawmills and the like  :o :) :) ;) :D :D I would like to start collecting Old Chainsaws Logging Sawmillling signs doo dads all that sort of memrobilia  ;) ;D

I also like Steam Engines and Trction Engines  but they are outa my budget one sold here not that long ago for $150odd k  :o

I did go to afew flea markets inc the big one down in Mobile theres some cool stuff at some but Like Chuck I tend to move pretty quick past the ones with a whole bunch of rubbish in them  ;)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

clww

We go to estate sales occasionally. Have not been to an auction in several years. The biggest kick we're on right now are the Habitat Re-Stores. We've gotten a lot of things to finish the cabin with there. Some things for incredibly low prices. Last weekend, I bought a Porter-Cable jig for routing out stair treads/risers for $35. We got a new GE double oven for $90; all the granite counter tops for the entire kitchen for $125!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

bandmiller2

The Bibbster brings up a valid point as we get older we tend to have too much stuff,I've become much more selective,because I have to. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chris Burchfield

Wife and I went to the First Monday flea market in Ripley, Mississippi this past Saturday.  Bout an hour and 15 minutes Southeast of Memphis.  They had hunting dogs, all kinds of guns, chickens, turkey, pheasant, piglets, goats, cows, old iron tools and iron cooking skillets and pots.  Peanuts, Sorghum and Blue Ribbon Cane syrup, pickled everything including quail eggs and other things you'd put up from the garden.  Clothing, wife bought some flip flops, said they were worth $30 she gotem for $10 and here at the start of winter.  I bought both syrups, five pounds of peanuts, we both got a footlong corn dog and shared a diet coke.  I woke her up at 05:00 a.m she said: " why would I want to get up at 05:00 on a Saturday?"  When she came to she did not remember saying that.   :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

5quarter

Bibby... you'll have to keep an eye out for another used train car... ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

clww

Chris, those are the ones we like to hit. So many I see lately are all selling junk and/or new stuff. I can go to the store and buy that! I want odd and old stuff. Having too much stuff is a problem, especially if you run out of room. I told the wife awhile back pretty soon we're going to be on that TV show, "Hoarders". :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

captain_crunch

Where I work in the well pump repair bussines I get to look at lots of treasures in back yards ect. Every day can be a garage sale. Personal best was a running Honda 650 that lady wanted out  of garage no strings just make it go away 8) 8) 8)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

steamsawyer

Quote from: captain_crunch on November 05, 2012, 12:55:26 PM
Where I work in the well pump repair bussines I get to look at lots of treasures in back yards ect. Every day can be a garage sale. Personal best was a running Honda 650 that lady wanted out  of garage no strings just make it go away 8) 8) 8)

Hey Capin. You want your money back on the Honda??  ;D :D 8)
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: steamsawyer on November 05, 2012, 01:27:44 PM
Quote from: captain_crunch on November 05, 2012, 12:55:26 PM

Hey Capin. You want your money back on the Honda??  ;D :D 8)

I'd be willing to double that offer.  ;D

ddcuning

I have been to a few auctions and stuff always seems to sell for more than I could buy it new. In my line of work I see a lot of good stuff go in the trash. Most of you will not know that I run my truck on vegetable oil. While working on a fuel oil replacement job at a local university, I pulled up to the site as the contractor was throwing two helical gear fuel pumps in the trash. I now use one of those pumps for circulating my vegetable oil through my filter system. The replacement pumps were $12k each and the one I snagged was just rebuilt so no telling what it is worth. I also bought my Cummins for the sawmill for scrap from a contractor that was going to sell it as scrap metal.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

thecfarm

ddcunning,talk about being at the right place at the right time. I get excited when I find a 6 foot piece of ΒΌ steel at the dump.  ::)

Bibbyman,before you retire make sure you saw enough lumber to build a shed for all your stuff that you don't need.  ;D

My FIL is always blatting about having junk kicking around at my place and me bringing home more. But guess where he comes when he needs something.  ::) It's all way out back and to come to the front of the house you would have no idea I have a treasure out back. And for that matter even if you stepped out back you would not see it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!