iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging weekend show and old stuff

Started by JustinW_NZ, November 02, 2012, 05:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

Hi all

Im lucky enough to have put my name forward to run my Mill at a local loggers show/sports weekend.
Its held at a old steam museum with a sawmill from the 1920s (operated in the nelson area) and so they say the only working steam skyline winch in the world!
Otherwise lots of other things like a big vintage chainsaw colection and other steam powered things.
some pictures here http://www.higginspark.co.nz/museums/loggers/

If anyones interested i can take some photos/video to post up?

The organisers have a bunch of macrocarpa (montery cypress) for me to turn into things for them and even railway sleepers for there railway there... (some 1m wide black poplar too)
it will feel odd being at a show where theres lots of 'old hands' watching a newbe like me!  :D

I got the LT40 dropped off today so its just setup the tent and get the family settled in for the next too days tommorow.
And yes i know, if theres no photos it didnt happen  ::)

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

dgdrls

JW_NZ,

you know the saying around here "it didn't happen unless there are photos" :D

pics and vids are always appreciated, have a great time at the show

best DGDrls

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: dgdrls on November 02, 2012, 05:51:24 AM
JW_NZ,

you know the saying around here "it didn't happen unless there are photos" :D

pics and vids are always appreciated, have a great time at the show

best DGDrls

:D :D :D :D
Gear I run;

drobertson

Hey Justin, have a great time! How is the weather going to be?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Justin,think if I leave now,I'll make it in time???  :D  Have a good time. I enjoy shows like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

steamsawyer

... STEAM... I love it... I'll take all you got.... I'm freakin out already. 8) 8) 8)
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

JustinW_NZ

Proof!

Where we setup and were feed logs.
a bit confined but its fine as we keep stoping and talking to people so not much millingwas happening!
some real rubbish little logs for us too..

Traction engine winching a log - man thats an old skidder ;)

I also have a video I will try and add on utube.

Steam powered hauler working, i also have video and will try and add..

And couldnt help put this in, My Wife,Daughter and son waving from the little jinker car that went around the park all day (trees in background are will the logs came from - to keep it on topic...)

Im sorry I didnt get down to the circle mill but the operator came over and worked with me for a while! (he was no spring chicken so full of knowledge thats for sure!)
Another guy had a portable mahoe mill there as well and run that a couple of times down a large pine log.
Also, horse loggin? two clydales were towing stuff about all day, was rather cool, there going to through the cut boards on from my mill and tow there around tommorow.

David - was raining in the morning then lunch time that sun broke out which was nice!

More photos/video tommorow hopefully, and steam sawer i will try and get over to the winch house where the steam winch is so you can get a close up.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

JustinW_NZ

PS that log that traction engine was winching was an old pine log i think, 1.5m (near 5 feet) across at a guess? no small feat!
Gear I run;

dgdrls

that's awesome, very nice to "La Familia" at the event too

well done!!

DGDrls

JustinW_NZ

DGDrls - since the wife is half owner I expect her to shift her half of the wood  :D

Heres the video links I hope!

http://youtu.be/W__XQIto2P0
and
http://youtu.be/R3UUTOmBNRg

Enjoy
Justin
Gear I run;

fishpharmer

Justin, thanks for the pics. Neat seeing that old steam equipment in operation. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

customsawyer

Sounds like that was a great show. Thanks for the pics.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Nice pictures.jinker car? New one to me. Kinda looks like it's on wooden rails? Problably used for a certain task years ago?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Just outstanding stuff,, thanks for the report Justin, pretty cool, kinda wierd seeing you folks coming into summer and our trees are almost bare now. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JustinW_NZ

thecfarm - should have said jigger i think, and no, normal rails, doesnt show very well in that photo sorry.

David - you should have seen how i felt when you guys were in heat waves and I was cutting frozen logs in snow! haha

the weekend ended up well, rather tired but made a couple of contacts I think and the crowd seemed to enjoy coming up and asking questions.
I was meant to finish on a 900mm wide black poplar log but didnt quite get there, told them I would come back in a few weeks and finish it off for them as they wanted to use it for trailer decking on one of the vehicles there or something.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Meadows Miller

Gday

Justin looks and sounds like you and the family had an awesome weekend Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Meadows Miller on November 04, 2012, 06:15:20 AM
Gday

Justin looks and sounds like you and the family had an awesome weekend Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris

Cheer bro it twas good  :)

Can you see the fear in my eyes off something going wrong in front of the public?
I swear i checked where the backstops were like 3 times  :D

Gear I run;

Ianab

Looks like a fun day.

Wish we weren't on the wrong Island or we could have come and checked it out.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

drobertson

The more you saw in front of people the easier it gets,  the main thing is to let your normal instincts take over, but looking three times for the back stops is still better than rolling one up and over aye?  been there, not very fun!  take care Justin, proud of you man, that takes a lil gumption,

Thank You Sponsors!