iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawed a nice ash log yesterday

Started by cutterboy, July 28, 2013, 08:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

I squared up three sides and started sawing boards.

First board nearly all sapwood

Then half sapwood and half heartwood.

Then almost all heartwood. It all looks good.

I did run into a problem when I was almost finished with the cant. When I revved up the engine to start the cut the blade came off the wheels. I'm not sure why, but I replaced the blade and all went well.

That log gave me a nice little wack of lumber and most of it was clear.

Happy sawing, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Cutts,thats some fine looking ash.If I cut ash it seems I have to use it myself,  if my customers want hardwood they want white or red oak.May not be long before our ash goes the way of the chestnut. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cutterboy

Frank, I don't sell a lot of ash, but I do sell a bit from time to time. Right now I'm out till this lumber dries. I really like the ash trees and would hate to see them die off but I'm afraid you may be right.    Cutter

drobertson

Nice work, looks so much like white oak, in my opinion, maybe some differences in the cellular structure but all the same as far as appearance, nice looking lumber for sure, not sure about slinging the blade, never was a fan of no lower blade guide, but this is no guarantee on holding the blade anyway,  good work,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

cutterboy

Quote from: drobertson on July 28, 2013, 09:26:14 PM
Nice work, looks so much like white oak

That's true. The grain patterns in ash is very close to oak.

Magicman

It is also easy to work with and takes various stains and finishes very well. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

cutterboy

Steve, did you get up really early or stay up really late?

ladylake

Early to rise, early to bed.  It's getting light, out to the mill in 10 minutes or so.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dgdrls

I finished one today that I started a while back.  More a practice log so I can
Learn how to saw effectively with the Lucas
I placed it sawn face down and cut some 4x and 6x material.
Did I mention I really like my circle mill :D

DGD

beenthere

We could get real confused if you call your swing mill a circle mill  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Looks like you're having fun with that mill, Dan!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!