iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I darken Q-sawn oak rays without using stain?

Started by Brad_bb, April 06, 2018, 12:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

So I have some new interior divided light doors that are high fleck quarter sawn white oak.  I'm looking to darken the rays like this

This is a new piece I came across from a seller at the Round Top Texas antique flea market.  He had a number of White oak pieces he finished like this.  I explained I have a set of doors that I wanted to highlight the rays as he's done.  He said he oxidized the wood with a chemical and did a wax finish.  I asked what he used, but he would not tell me.  He was smug about it, which really put me off.  He would not help me.  From how cagey he was being I don't even know if what he told me was even the truth.  I'm sure he used some chemical or process to get the darkening of the wood.  I know it's NOT vinegar/steel wool/water.  That will turn oak black.  The steel wool does that.  Could it be vinegar?  Lemon Juice?  Was heat used?  I have no idea.  Does anyone?  I want to "oxidize" the wood so that the rays are more contrasted, then I just want to clear it with General Finish High Performance flat.  Help appreciated.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Don P

I don't know what was done there. Old arts and crafts furniture was fumed with ammonia in a fuming cabinet, might be worth a google.

Reddog sawmill

Lime sulfer would turn the surrounding wood a very light color probably leaving the flecks a darker color and give you that contrast

DelawhereJoe

Any idea what chlorine/bleach would do to it, its a rather good oxidizer, according to its warning lables.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

bags

Some of us old rednecks use the K.I.S.S. system. Run a light torch over it--- sand--- then finish.

Brad_bb

Reddog, can you explain the process a bit more?  

It seems maybe the ammonia fuming could have been used followed by a liming wax.

scsmith42

Ammonia fuming typically turns the non-medullary cells brown.  That photo is much too light to be of wood that has been fumed.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

low_48

Whatever he did, it sure soaked into the joinery! Even the glue line at the panel seam stands out. I'm guessing two part wood bleach. Some folks make their own 2 part with lye and swimming pool treatment peroxide. Be careful!

Reddog sawmill

Typically people use lime sulfer to preserve the "dead wood" on bonsai trees. It is most often just brushed on with a small brush and it turns the wood almost white. That picture almost looks like the wood was slightly toasted and sanded or wiped down with steel wool then a chemical was applied. Lime sulfer will even turn burnt wood white. Wood bleach is another good guess though.

Brad_bb

As I said, this piece in the photo has a wax finish.  I could feel the wax on it.  I'm thinking it's probably liming wax (that I just learned about via this post) which has imparted the white grain filling.  

scsmith42, What else would turn the rays brown like that.  From the videos on the web I watched last night on ammonia fuming, it looked like it turned the rays and the rest of the wood brown, although now the same for each.  So the rays seemed to stand out.  

Magicman

I sawed some Post Oak logs a couple of weeks ago that had been bucked and neglected for several years and the rays were almost black.  In past years I have seen these black rays in Post Oak several times.  I can easily see where it could be bleached and would look very similar to Brad's picture above.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 07, 2018, 08:29:39 AM
scsmith42, What else would turn the rays brown like that.  From the videos on the web I watched last night on ammonia fuming, it looked like it turned the rays and the rest of the wood brown, although now the same for each.  So the rays seemed to stand out.  

Brad, typically when white oak is fumed the non-medullary cells turn dark, but the medullary cells don't.  So the accentuated color is where there is greater contrast between the two different types of cells.

Fuming changes the color from the outside in, so if you sand a fumed oak surface down you will sand away the color.  The thing is though, the medullary cells are very thin, and you would have sanded through them long before the darker color was sanded off of the rest of the wood.  That's why I don't think that they color you posted was a results of fuming and sanding.

I'm thinking that some of the comments about using lime or wood bleach may be your solution.   I don't know if wood bleach would remove the fumed oak color from the main wood cells.  If you choose to try ammonia fuming yourself, see if you can buy some 29% ammonia solution.  I have some 50% which changes the color very quickly but it's pretty dicey to handle.  Be sure to wear a respirator at all times around it.

Brad_bb

Oh yeah, I take precautions.  I used to use Muriatic acid for deep rust pit removal in sheetmetal.  I'll have to take the same precautions I used there working with Ammonia.  Gotta figure out where I can get the 29%.

ESFted

I'd experiment on a piece with brown Trans Tint dye, then sand it back.  If the fleck absorbs more than the rest of the wood it will stand out after you sand and then you can lime wax it.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Brad_bb

I'm not planning to use Liming wax at all.  I'm just trying to darken the oak a bit and hoping the rays will be darker than the surrounding wood so they'll stand out.  Once I achieve a satisfactory result, I'll apply a couple coats of General finishes High performance FLAT.  I want the quarter sawn oak to look like raw Qsawn oak that has age like the barnwood I've been using.  For example here's the barnwood Vanity I built for the shop bathroom.  Now that I've learned about the affect of ammonia on oak, it's clear that ammonia and time are what made this barnwood look like it does.  You can see the rays are darker than the surrounding wood on this vanity.  It occured naturally in a barn over probably 100-150 years.

terrifictimbersllc

Maybe shop around but here it is on Amazon:  29% ammonia

I think it is used in the blueprint industry.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brad_bb

Thanks, I did see that one.  I am looking for at least a gallon.  I found one place online in MN.  I have to call and make sure they can ship it.

terrifictimbersllc

If you build a good plastic lined enclosure you can fume a medium size piece with only a cup of the 29% in a shallow saucer.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Don_Papenburg

From the barn? horses and cows and pigs all peeing in the barn with other byproducts of feeding . Soak a small section in urine and see what happens.I think it is the ammonia in the urine that does things like that . Might try some anhydrous ammonia also if you have a friendly farmer by you. that will let you use some . Put a small section in a garbage bag . Vapors is all that you need . Safety equipment ,gloves face shield you know . The vapor will make wood bend like plastic also. Maybe clear ammonia would work just as well and be easier to obtain.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Brad_bb

Don, From what I've read on the web,  household strength takes way too long to be effective.  It will work, but will take long and won't turn as dark as a 26% or 29% solution.  It's called aqua ammonia, or ammonia liquor and a few other names. With the higher strength, It will only take 4-24 hours depending on how dark you want it.

Yes, it was the ammonia from the animal urine that turned the barnwood oak darker.  Reading on the web it said that some english farmers noticed the effect and figured out that it was the ammonia from the animal urine that turned the wood dark.

RPF2509

Blueprint shops - if any still exist- have that strength ammonia.  From what I've seen they darken both the rays and background. Never seen just the rays darken.

scsmith42

Brad, it doesn't take much.  I use only a capful of 50% when I'm fuming, and then recover it when I'm done.

29% may take a bit more, but not much.  The key is surface area - a shallow, wide dish will offgas more quickly than a narrow, deep one.

Magicman

Brad, back in Reply #11, I described recently sawing some partially spalted Post Oak and the rays were naturally dark and the surrounding wood was a much lighter color.

Today I sawed some Black Oak that had the same characteristics.  Rays darker and the surrounding wood was very light.  There is a possibility that the lumber in the furniture piece that you saw was not altered, but instead the builder used spalted QS Oak lumber.

I see this several times each year. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

MM; I think you nailed it.
Stain, fuming etc will darken all of the wood equally in my experience.
Resulting in the ray fleck being only slightly darker than the surrounding wood
I haven't seen the spalted oak that you and Brad have, but to my thinking, that's what it has to be.
Have to wonder though, how is that only the rays go dark with the spalting process ?
@WDH may have an answer?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!