iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Day in the Swamp

Started by Fla._Deadheader, May 20, 2004, 01:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

We were back on the river on this past Wednesday. The day was clear and hot. The coolness of the swamp is very welcome on these hot days.

We cruised up the Oklawaha and decided to try a tributary that we had gone a short ways up, on an earlier excursion. As we cruised up the tributary, we were joined by a Horned Owl. He posed for us, so, I got his picture.

We headed deeper into the bowels of the swamp, dodging limbs and spiders and always on the lookout for Wasp nests. They LOVE to nest in the leaves of the swamp maples that hang out over the water. Them are NASTY Red wasps.

Before long, we spotted the first log of the day.

We checked it out and left it for another day. We headed upstream and found another log.

This log was stuck in the bank, so we left it. A little further on was another log.

This log we sawed the end off, looking for Pecky holes. It's solid and the 20" bar barely reached through the log. It's gonna be tough getting it back to camp. We left it and moved deeper into the swamp. We almost missed this one. They are DanG hard to spot, sometimes. ::)

We eased up to it and Ed went to work cutting it into a short enough length to drag out and tie to the boat.

This turned out to be a nice log, completely slick looking, meaning no raggedness. When Ed cut it, we could tell it was Pecky, a $$$ log. ;D He got it cut and worked a rope under it and lassoed it. I tied the other end of the rope to the rear cleat, and the Rodeo began.
  You have to remember that there are other trees in the water and dead limbs and mud and lily pads and all kinds of debris scattered all around in the creek. I back up to the log, as close as I can get, and "put 'er to the floor" so to speak. When the rope comes tight, you never know if the log will move, the rope will break, striking you in the back of the head, or if you will just lurch sideways from all the pressure.

This log was stuck pretty tight in the mud. I threw Ed the cant hook and he tried to roll the log as I pulled on it. When the log finally shifted, Ed took one step forward and went chest deep into the mud. The cant hook is all that kept him above the surface. I couldn't reach him to help him get loose, so, he had to tough it out. If that had been a "LogRite" cant hook, Ed might have gone down. ::) ::) ;D

We finally got the log into the water and it started to sink. NOT a good sign. When we got back to camp, we halved the log into 2---8 footers, and, as we suspected, it was only half pecky, half the $$$ worth. ::) ;D ;D

Oh well, we had pulled another cull Pecky into the water on the way up the Oklawaha, so, we headed out and gathered it up an went on to camp.

On the way out, we had another visitor, so I got his pic also.

We see a LOT of these Ospreys, and usually a bunch of Bald Eagles. So far this year, the Eagles are scarce.

We also spotted this log? sticking out of the mud. IF it's a log, not a stump, and IF we can raise it, it will make some very pretty Tabletops. It is OVER 4 feet wide. Them Lily pads are around 8-9" wide, for comparison. :o

Hope Y'all enjoy our journeys into the Swamp. ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Pete J

The fine print on our LogRite Cant Hooks specifically state that they are not to be used as a flotation device. Here is the exact text:

[size=-3]LogRite Cant Hooks are not to be used as a flotation device. Not kidding, so don't even try. Now, get back to work.[/size]

SwampDonkey

I like seein them owls in the bush. I often see goshawks hunting grouse, swoopin down closed in woodlot trails. I seen 2 ravens take to tormenting an owl a few years ago. The ravens could outfly and dodge the poor owl. If'm he latched onto one them ravens there'd been some squakin and fuss'n. Seems to me he had a hare in his talons. :D :D

The undisputed adventures of the swamp loggers. May no log go without turning. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

LogRite, I wanna see an actual picture of that warning label.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  Sooo, when ya comin down ??? ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

This was life-flighted in from Maine about 15 minutes ago.

Pete J

I knew I could count on you. I didn't even have time to reach for the batphone and call Commisioner Gordon.

p.s. I wonder if there is $$$$$$ to be made in warning labels?

etat

Logrite, I wouldn't worry too much about the label.  Ain't nobody would even try that ceptin Captian Skipper or someone on his crew!!!!! ;D  I'll have to say for sure, I sure enjoy his episodes!!!!

QuoteLife shouldn't be a journey to the grave intending on arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out. Yelling WOW! What A Ride!

That is so TRUE!!!!   I really got to say I LIKE yer style!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

DanG

Harold, Linda was just tellin' me this morning, that we need to do something besides feedin' dogs and sawin' lumber this summer. We just might grease up the ol' Minnie Winnie and head over your way for a weekend(could be Wednesday and Thursday...we're retired ;D) and give her a real adventure.  I'm pretty handy with a camcorder and do a half-fast narrative. Maybe we could make a pilot for the Swamp Logger documentary.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

;D :D :D :D :D :D ;D

Where do I send the money for copy # 1 ?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Don't slip on the pontoons camera man. The way Fla_Deadheader drives that barge, he's liable to stop short and you and camera get to swim with the gators to film an episode of crockadile hunter. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

DanG ole pal ole buddy, If'n Y'all was here RAT NOW, you'd be late.  ;D ;D Just let us know when you and the Bride can make it. They's always room for ya here. The longer ya wait, the hotter it will get. ;D ;D ;D  Bring LOTS of tapes and make DanG sure ya charge that Batterary. ;) ;D :D :D :D :D

WeekDAYS are much better than weekENDS.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Decided to make a link to this thread, and e-mail it to a friend in Costa Rica.

Then, I sat and re-read the whole thing.  ::) ::)

Ya know, it's amazing the things you can find to read around here.  ::) ::) :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Corley5

Hey!!! those pics look familar to me  ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  Thanks for the good time Harold :) :) :) :) :) :)  I'll have more to add when I get home.  30 mins of comp time in a library doesn't go far.  Everyone needs to meet the Gov. of Palatka ;) ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!