iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacing a brace in a mortise and tenon building.

Started by leeroyjd, February 03, 2020, 04:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leeroyjd

Is it possible to replace a broken or missing brace?
We have an old barn that had one missing for years. It now has a brace but it's just a 45 that's been nailed.
Seems like if I make the tenons shorter than the mortise depth, I may be able to do this.

Don P

The only way I can envision that working is if one end is normal and the other has a loose tenon in a long bridle notch in the brace, then peg at least twice through the bridle and long loose tenon.

Ljohnsaw

Or maybe a two piece brace that has a center lap joint that is more of an angle.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

D L Bahler

I have seen it done, where in order to replace a lost or broken brace one of the mortises is elongated so that a replacement brace with tenons like those on the original can be "swung" in place, and then a piece of dense wood is inserted into the hole below the new brace and pegged in place. 

Heartwood

Like D L Bahler says; from Historic American Timber Joinery, by Jack Sobon:

Tom King

I've done it in old house frames by putting wedges in the mortises where the long points of the tenons would go.  The tenons can't be perpendicular to the timber that the mortises are in, or you can't get it in there.

I make a full sized drawing (can just be on sheets of plywood) to size the wedges, and the brace.  The outside ends of the tenons have to be parallel if you want it to be tight when you get it in place, and want to stay in place.

It will still serve it's function fine, since it's in compression.

You can fit the lower tenon, and shape the top one so it will go in under the filler.   The full sized drawing can show you what will work.

VictorH

I would prefer one or two of the options already mentioned.  Another option would be to open up the mortise on the post and make a brace that is tenoned on one side and "let in" on the post.  The Tenon would need to be tapered a little so it will allow the brace to swing into place.

Thank You Sponsors!