iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tusk Soffit joist tenon

Started by addicted, February 09, 2021, 01:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

Hey gang
  Ive searched the forum for quite a while and I'm still in the same place from where I started.
Soffit/tusk tenon for joist design. After going through the TF library here at home I've found articles in Timber Framing Fundamentals, A Timber Framers Workshop and the Timber Frame Joinery Design Workbook vol 1. My confusion is with the article in the workbook where the section, Engineering Formulae, states " the depth of notch on the upper side of the beam should not exceed 40% of the beam depth." This is the same article that appears in A TimberFramers Workshop. 
Can someone explain what this means? Unless I'm missing something, a 6x8 joist with a soffit tenon needs at least a tenon 4.8 inches thick. 
Does this sound right?
Thanks
Rusty

Jim_Rogers

What that is saying is that the depth of the block of wood your taking away from the timber with the tenon on the end can't exceed 40% of the depth of the timber.
Not the size of the tenon.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

addicted

Thanks Jim
 That seems to contradict the soffit tenons in all the other articles I've seen. The very next article in the workbook by Ed Levin describes a soffit tenon on a 6" deep joist with a 1 1/2" thick tenon. the 4 1/2" deep block of wood removed from the top far exceeds the previous articles limit, however it passes the shear test better than the next example that moves the tenon up 1 1/2" and closer to the previous articles limit.
Maybe the 40% rule doesn't apply to this since the supported depth includes the haunch.
Rusty

addicted

Speaking of haunch on a soffit/ tusk tenon. What slope is usually used here? I've found one article that shows a slope of 1 in 3 1/2 and then shows a slope of 1 in 4 1/2. Any thoughts on the what slope works better  or is easier to cut/ assemble?
Rusty

Thank You Sponsors!