iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loblolly, Longleaf or Shortleaf

Started by DixieReb31, May 05, 2021, 07:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DixieReb31

I know Loblolly pine is good, but what about Longleaf and shortleaf and maybe Slash pine for dimensional lumber?  I thought before I put forth the effort to cut any down I would tap into this vast resource of knowledge.
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

WV Sawmiller

Aren't they all just listed as SYP with pretty much the same characteristics?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Wudman

Longleaf and Shortleaf tend to grow slower and will have tighter growth rings producing better quality lumber.  Slash grown in it's native range tends to have better form as well.  However it has been planted in areas that it wasn't native and rust issues can be significant.  Loblolly grows faster and puts on more volume across the spectrum, so that is the major reason it is planted so widely.  Given my preference, Shortleaf produces the best lumber in the Piedmont of Virginia.  Your mileage may vary.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Texas Ranger

Wudman is right on.  Around here we are at the far end of shortleaf, what used to be longleaf country,lob pine, and planted slash.  Slash pretty much no productive and slowly disappearing.  Longleaf is being planted again, but still small acreage.  Short leaf has compact rings and is dimensionally more stable than plantation lob.  But fast growth and quick turn around is the new management technique in Texas.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

firefighter ontheside

Shortleaf is the only pine native to MO and it produces nice lumber.  I have used a lot of it.  On my property I have Lobl olly, shortleaf and virginia.  There are originals that were planted here 60 years ago and many volunteers.  I have milled only a few of my trees.  The big lobl olly I milled had very wide growth rings and did not produce very good lumber.  I'm sure the shortleaf would produce better lumber.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

I saw more Shortleaf than the others.  it is very stable and also my favorite to saw. 

Plantation planted Loblolly can deal you misery with fast growing stress related movement. 

I have a 64 log Longleaf job later this month and they generally go well.  Thankfully this has been felled and bucked a couple of months so it should not be so pitch sticky.

I have never knowingly sawn Slash.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stumpjump

I'm hand-clearing 3 to 4 acres right now and will be planting loblolly there in March and April.  Not for the wood, but for screening against an area between our farm and the highway, where a house was recently built.  Loblolly makes a great screen at least until it ages north of 15 years or so.  The lumber gets a bad rap but IMO it's fine for general construction, at least if it hasn't been grown too ridiculously fast.  I was lucky to get longleaf lumber for a barn I built a few years back.  The wood gets so hard when seasoned you can't push a pushpin into it without a hammer!  I put a tin roof on that barn and it'll last 100 years with a little care.  We have some gorgeous shortleaf scattered through our woods.  The wood is similar to longleaf but not quite as hard.  Very tight growth rings.  I've taken some of it for lumber but I will leave most of it.  I bought 100 shortleaf seedlings (the very last ones the VDOF had, at least when I bought them) along with the 1700 loblolly seedlings and will plant them along edges where it can compete better with the loblolly.  I also bought 25 longleaf seeds and will be sprouting them and planting them as an experiment.

Don P

Welcome aboard Stumpjump :).

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 05, 2021, 07:48:00 PM
 Aren't they all just listed as SYP with pretty much the same characteristics?

I think everyone is saying the same thing. When there is a species grouping, the weakest species or particular strength value amongst them controls the strength assigned to all. So yes, they are all similar, lob controls.

TroyC

I recently took down a loblolly that was slightly over 20" at the base, 20 years old. Rings were real easy to count.     :)

Thank You Sponsors!