iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered red paint?

Started by Guydreads, October 21, 2021, 05:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guydreads

Hey guys! I've got a couple 2071's, and one of their crankcases has gotten stripped of the paint, as a lot of either 372's and 2071's tend to after quite a few years. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of paint that is a close match, and what would be the best way to touch it up. I can post pics if necessary. Thanks

Spike60

There's actually a list of part numbers for all coporate paints. Includes the Poulan green, Partner yellow, even the Craftsman mower paint, along with Jonsered red. Haven't seen that list in a while, but I'll have a look later this morning.

The engine paint section in an auto parts store is another good place to find some paint for saws. That's where I get the silver paint for early Jonny top covers like the 621.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

So far, I've never seen a silver top done to be a dead ringer of the original paint. Some folks were having some luck with an International Harvester red for the case.

If you have something with paint intact like a clutch cover. Most auto paint places have a computer to scan the color and make the mix. You can have them make up a rattle can or if you have a hobby airless setup, you can paint that way.

Most likely the factory powder coated the painted parts. What a lot of collectors are doing is using auto engine paint and then followed by clear coat. Too much work for me and I don't have shelf queens.

Magnesium is porous and so with heat cycles it absorbs oil/gas. Somehow you've got to get that oil outa there. 

If Bob can find the paint code, that would be great!

Kevin

Tacotodd

Why not just have it re-powder coated?
Trying harder everyday.

Real1shepherd

Because it's unlikely they can match the color. From my understanding of most small powder coating companies, their color selection is minimal.

A company like Jonsereds would have been setup with a powder coating subcontractor to just make a few different colors to the shade they desired. Or maybe they did it in-house.....dunno. Anyway, point being that a factory has the suck to set up something like that.

If Bob comes up with the Jonsereds paint codes, then someone can go down to a local powder coater and have a discussion.  

Kevin

David B

Ford Engine Red is very close IIRC. 
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

Thank You Sponsors!