iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peeling bark.........How?

Started by CHARLIE, February 04, 2008, 01:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

I pulled a small Aspen tree out of the woods that broke in a windstorm. I want to use it to make a hiking stick. I want to peel the bark off but don't know the best way to go about it. I don't want to cut it off because I want the stick to be smooth and natural.  How do I loosen the bark so it will peel?  Any tricks or advice will be appreciated. :P 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

It would have been easier in the sap season. But dry it good and the bark should come off easier. I'm also wonder if you went to the other extreme and submerged it in a tub of water for a week, maybe the inner bark will slip easier? Maybe try the water submersion first.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Are you in a winter season there?Kinda cold,things stop growing?I wonder if you bought it inside the house could you trick it into thinking it was summer and start it's sap season.Probaly would be a small window here.Than the bark would peel right off.I doubt it would be long,a day or two.Take a screw driver and try to pry,peel the bark off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1938farmall

I just did the same thing with a small hickory that I wanted for a cant hook handle. Since it was frozen I left the bark on and brought it into the shop but it cracked several places more than halfway thru.  I peeled it with a drawshave and it was smooth looking but the cracks are bad   :(
aka oldnorskie

isawlogs

I would do like Swamp says , put it in water . If it dont fit the tub ... ya could just stick it into a PVC pipe add the water and go fishing for a day or two .
  Ya could always stick under the ice and wait for a beaver to come around and peel it for you .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

I've done White Cedar in water in the summer and it just made a mess and loss the fresh peeled color to the wood.
Cfarm, I don't belive you can get a sap flow without the rootball, but I could be wrong.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Furby on February 04, 2008, 12:40:31 PM
I've done White Cedar in water in the summer and it just made a mess and loss the fresh peeled color to the wood.
Cfarm, I don't belive you can get a sap flow without the rootball, but I could be wrong.

Actually leaves, but it helps to have something to soak up water and nutrients so the leaves can manufacture food to send down the sapwood under the bark.  ;) Balm of gilead will grow with just a stick in the mud as long as the buds flush. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

low_48

When the cambium is soft and growing, striking the bark with a wood mallet will break up that layer and the bark will almost fall off. The basket makers do the same thing to get growth rings to seperate. If I were you I would try various amounts of hitting power and see if the bark loosens. It will take a little practice to see how hard to hit before you bruise the wood. I went so far as to buy an air jack hammer,(little one about a foot long, from Harbor Freight) to knock the bark off some Siberian Elm Burl. I cut off the end of the chisel so it is flat like a hammer head. After removing that bark I power washed off the "goo". I looked like I had been in the Ghost Buster movie after washing off the dozen or so burls. Man I hate that Elm in the spring!

You might try using a paint or cabinet scraper as well. It will not cut into the wood, but it will not shine like a peeled branch.

Woodcarver

I used a power washer to remove the outer bark on some sumac that I cut for root canes.  Finished the clean-up with a sloyd knife.  A draw knife probably would have worked better, but I didn't have one.

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

CHARLIE

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll tap the bark and try to peel it first. If that doesn't work I'll try the soaking.  If I discover anything dynamic....I'll let y'all know.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sleepy

I've never worked with Aspen so I'm not for sure this will work for Aspen. Native Americans made Arrow quivers from bark tubes from hickory and the like. They would heat the wood over an open fire constantly moving and turning as not to burn the bark. The heat would cause the cambium layer to release from the wood. Then with a little pulling and tugging the bark tube would come off in one peace.
Also like low_48 said sometime they would pond on it to make the cambium release.
Me, I would use a drawknife and be careful not to get into the wood. The cambium can be washed away with a pressure washer.
"I would rather try and fail than to never have tried at all"

Thank You Sponsors!