iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old bearings ?

Started by D._Frederick, December 10, 2010, 06:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I got my Powermatic 66 set-up to rip some ash boards; when I started the saw it sounded like a cat had got into the belts. I traced the problem to the arbor ballbearings,bad from old age no-doubt from the grease hardening.

The local dealer wants $150 to fix, I got new bearings for $50. A friend has a 3 ton arbor press that we tried to get the bearings off, but it does not have enough force.

I've got a number of wood working equipment that dates from post WW2 time to present and can fail at any time.

The question I have is that HF has a 12 ton shop press on sale for a $100. Would this be big enough to get the bearings off jointers, band saw and table saw, etc ?  The next level of press are 20 ton and are close to $500.   

dutchman

Posted about using log splitter as bearing press, here's the link.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,46948.0.html
Worked for me.

WH_Conley

How about the local machine shop? A press her here, a push there, might be the cheapest way out.
Bill

Gary_C

The trick I use for removing old bearings if you can get at them is to use a hammer, cold chisel, or a grinder to grind or break the hardened race and then it will come off easily. You don't care if you destroy it as it's no good anyway. Try to not hit the shaft though.

Then take some emery cloth and polish all the rust and burs of the shaft and the new bearing will go on tight but easily.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Brad_bb

Just try to be safe about it.  Car axle bearings have been known to explode on removal.  Many put a tube around the bearing to contain it when pressing off.

Also keep in mind that you have to know what you're doing when pressing into or our of cast iron.  If not supported correctly you can run the risk of cracking the cast iron.  I know, I did it.  That might be one reason to pay the $150.  That way the risk is theirs.

Incidentally since I'm talking about broken cast iron, I found  a good place for repairing/restoring broken cast iron.  Crow Custom Cast Welding in Hudson, WI.  Flame spray welding.  It's amazing what he can do.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SwampDonkey

Sometimes the shaft needs replacing to, not always.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I have some nice pullers here, one is a small one for motor bearings and another a bit beafier. They sure are slick.  8) Graingers sell them. Mine are Posi-Lock.

Dad removed bearings like Gary_C suggested on equipment around the farm. Sometimes very rusted shafts.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I just take stuff to a local shop.  They generally don't charge, so I just tip the mechanic.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

Don't beat on them there chip like glass, Iam blind in my right eye using a hammer and cold chisle on a bearing race.
Bill

jamesamd

Use a bearing puller.2 cresent shaped tapered bars,to get behind the bearings inner race,then the press or just a brass hammer.
A press will probably damage the shaft,used alone.

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

D._Frederick

I ended up buying HF 20 ton press for $160, a much better machine, it is welded together instead of being bolted. Should handle anything that I need to change bearings in.

Hilltop366

A press can be quite handy at times just be careful that the thing you are pressing won't jump out and hit someone.

Brad and Autocar got it right about the dangers of striking with a hammer or chisel, I have done it but only after covering with a cloth first to catch any flying parts.

I did meet a guy once that had a concrete nail jump up when he hit it and is blind in one eye from it, he was telling me this after he had asked about my thumb nail that looked like it had been shot with a 22 short, and I was telling him about how I hit a concrete nail with a hammer and it bounced out and struck my thumb nail, Made me feel lucky.

jimparamedic

Fire and ice works well also heat the race cool the shaft but to much heat will destroy the temper. Also on outer races run a bead with a welder around the inside and then it will fall out

Thank You Sponsors!