iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cycle time for Solar Kiln

Started by VA-Sawyer, January 24, 2004, 06:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA-Sawyer

What is a realistic number of loads one can cycle through a solar kiln in a year. I've seen claims ranging from 12 ( average one a month ) to 3 ( 1 over fall/winter , 2 during spring/summer )
I realize there are a lot of variables. Lets figure 4/4 red oak, fresh off the stump, fresh sawed. Dried to 6 or 7% MC.
Total loads per year ?

sawwood

VA_Sawyer Larry dryes about 3 to 4 loads a year. I think
 it depends on where you are. Hope Larry see this and he
 can answer it better.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

chet

This past year I was able to get 4 loads threw mine. But ya have to remember I'm way north of you, U.P. of Michigan. All loads were green off the stump.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Ed_K

Will air drying for a month, make it easier or worse (more checking). Whats the highest temp you can achieve in the UP.
Ed K

Carl_B

I think that the 3 to four loads a year is about right. I am on the first year with my kiln and we just put the 5 load in. The first load was poplar that was green then elm that was air dryed fo 6 months red oak green then air dryed mixed load of cheery and elm the last load is mixed and air dryed should be out when the year is up. Carl B.

Thank You Sponsors!