iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarantine supper challenge!

Started by Jeff, May 17, 2020, 06:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Quarantine supper. Deep dive into the freezer and pantry and make a great low cal meal out of the most obscure items! No meat tonight.

3 items. One bag of Birdseye quinoa and spinach found in the freezer, 2 red potatoes sliced thin and air fried, and a bottle of bbq sauce,  received as a gift and then forgotten to a pantry  shelf (not no more!).

Most excellent. Two presentations. One for me,
 one for Tammy. 364 calories per meal.

A challenge to you my foodie friends to try and make your own quarantine supper too!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

My late wife was into quinoa, I hated it! I found some forgotten pork chops, grilled 'em with potatoes and made a quick salad.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gspren

Since you mentioned a deep dive in the freezer we have cooked two things from the lost/forgotten section of our freezer, a turkey of about 5 year vintage and for our record the wife found a box of Tilapia filets from 2009, 11 years old, vacuum bagged and still good. A computer search on long frozen foods said taste may change but no safety danger so we added a little extra Old Bay seasoning. Anybody cook anything older?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

tule peak timber

Jeff's pics look awesome.......My wife and kid have been gone for a couple of weeks so I am definitely freezer eating , that and the garden. Tonight -smoked albacore wraps.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

sprucebunny

I've been making bread with 12 year old flour. 5 pound bag was a little stale tasting but the 10 pound bag is fine. 12 year old yeast thats been in the fridge still works. The carbs are starting to show....

Gave away all the 12 year old canned goods last summer.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

K-Guy

Friday my wife sent my son to get some chicken from the freezer, when he found what he was sent to get, he left two 10lb bags of frozen(then) chicken thighs out. I found then after they were almost completely defrosted, so they had to be cooked.

So yesterday I cooked a Prime rib roast on the grill for supper, ground 17lbs of sirloin(it was on sale cheaper than burger), packaged it with the foodsaver, and roasted 20lbs of thighs.

Just a quiet day.

ps. for me there is very little I will call a meal without meat. I'm too much of a carnivore!  ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Jeff

I used to be that way, and not so long ago, but spending a week thinking you might drop dead at any moment, or maybe becoming paralized or a vegetable will change one's views.

My victory will come from changing long term views on food.

thecfarm

I hope I never have to learn how bad vegetables taste. I am not so pig hated to keep eating meat, even if it kills me.
 I have to be around to get rid of the rocks on my land.  :D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

my daughter eats lots of cheese Pizza.  this was her first attempt at a homemade version.  She has the Swans app on her phone.  My wife found the cheese isle picked over and got the Velveeta Mozzarella flavored shredded cheese.  not so good,  not shure we could even get it off the pizza cutter.  good first effort.  we will try again.  now have a crust and sauce recipe and real shredded cheese!

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

I wish I had a chance to warn you about that velveeta mozzarella.  Tammy got it by mistake one time. I used it on my always fabulously awesome chicken pizza.  The only time my pizza didnt taste like great chicken pizza but instead tasted like chicken poop!

doc henderson

Yes, it was not on purpose.  she grabbed at a WM after work, and brought it home.  my daughter has always been a picky eater.  she took several bites and just sat there.  She likes consistency and it was nothing like what she normally eats.  we will try again.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

Well make sure to tell her I agree with her concensus! :D

Sedgehammer

Last night's supper with a view.
These were from a cow we butchered almost 4 years ago. Wife found them a while back. 

Necessity is the engine of drive

Sedgehammer

Necessity is the engine of drive

sawguy21

Quote from: Jeff on May 27, 2020, 07:35:56 AM
Well make sure to tell her I agree with her concensus! :D
It certainly leaves a lot to be desired. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

I made a great black bean soup the other night with a few vegetables, a can of black beans and some spicer-uppers including sherry. Great with some leftover chicken or peppers; I'll bet just about anything would be good stirred into that soup  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

I made simething similar for lunch today out of yesterday's   experimental  supper, then we had anither unique creation tonight!

If course I took pictures!

Walnut Beast

I would say it looks good! You got the presentation down on your plate nice. You would think your on the cooking channel 😂😂

Jeff

I make the bowks out of flour tortillas and the air fryer.

I made some tonight with a sprinkle of brown  sugar cooked in for a cup to put strawberries and blueberries and a little whipped topping.

Magicman

Looks good but who is the Johnny Cash impersonator??  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

doc henderson

we have some shells to use up.  Georgia still wants to try the smoothie with berries and yogurt.  looks good (you guys) and the desert cups looks good too!  8)

JRHill

I love the topic. We are cleaning out the deep freezer. You know, those cuts that you don't go for and get old and older? Some are just fine for a pot. Some just get cooked up for the pups. The Catahoulas LOVE our cooking for them and it so much better than the 6!@#%^&* food from the store.

BTW, we feed Dynovite every day. We don't do high end food and the supplement is economically cheaper than the high end food - which is still suspect. In addition, we feed Brewers yeast with garlic. It's gotten to the point that the dogs won't eat the food without the garlic. We sometimes have a tick, rarely - and in tick haven where we are. Almost none, nada. (we pulled one this morning but was was unusual and it really hadn't set in).

Ya don't have to spend a bunch on Frontline, ect. Garlic. Onions and more garlic. And YOU should be eating those as well.

Jeff

You absolutely should not give dogs onions or garlic. I am a nut when it comes to what the dogs can't eat. Why?? Because I accidentally killed one of our dogs several years ago by feeding it golden raisins which at the time was my go to snack. I had no idea. Juno died of Kidney failure due to the raisins.

Ya know why the biting insects are not a problem? It's screwing with the blood of the dog.

From the AKC
Can Dogs Eat Onions? ? American Kennel Club

Onions contain a toxic principle known as N-propyl disulfide. This compound causes a breakdown of red blood cells, leading to anemia in dogs.
The toxin causes oxidative damage to your dog's red blood cells by attaching to the oxygen molecules in your dog's red blood cells. This reduces the ability of the red blood cells to carry oxygen, and also tricks your dog's body into thinking that the blood cell is an invader. The red blood cell is destroyed in a process known as hemolysis, resulting in hemolytic anemia.

Thank You Sponsors!