iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cost of plywood jumped up

Started by Brad_bb, August 06, 2020, 09:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

I've already told the supplier on our project that any inferior lumber will be returned on their trucks. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Don P

Everyone that owns a hammer is a carpenter, everyone that has picked up a stick is a lumber grader :D

The difference is appearance rather than structural in those two markets. Harry Homeowner, well, and most contractors don't really understand the structural requirements of say a stud. If you stand in a big box and watch people sifting through the piles and watch what they take and what they reject it is very often hilarious to watch. The suits in those stores realized this because they were left with piles of "reject" lumber to unload. So they came up with another grade called "Prime". It isn't really a grade, it is a set of appearance criteria within a grade, and they charge for it. On the grading line the number 2's will be further sorted and the pretty stuff will get a #2 Prime stamp and go to Lowes and the straight #2 which is now uglier because of that sort will go to 84 lumber etc. If you sit there and roll through both stacks they are both #2, one is prettier. If you really want better lumber buy #1 or Select Structural, a true #2 is not a pretty piece of lumber. A stud, well, that's a #3 with #1 edge restrictions... gotta be able to stick drywall on the edges but strengthwise its just a column.

Brad_bb

When I run low on bunks, I'll often go buy 2x3's at the box store and screw two 4'ers together.  Last winter I was buying them for $1.77 ea at Menards.  Went to Lowes yesterday to get some and they were $2.93.  That's a 65% increase!!!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

RussMaGuss

I was thinking of adding a 2nd floor to my garage and shed, but with all this going on I think I'll wait.. Price of a 2x4x8 is almost $5 by me now!! Maybe I'll add the loft to my shed for now and do the garage in the new year when the dust settles

Larry

I just looked online at my Home Depot.  A 8' 2 X 6 is now selling for $2.32/bf including taxes. 

A few years ago departed member Kansas (RIP) ran a mill with several full time employees.  One of their big sellers was cottonwood construction lumber.  At the time DF lumber from the big yards was .60 cents/bf, yet they made money.

Cottonwood logs still cheap....I think money can be made....sounds way too much like work for me.  Cottonwood is heavy.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ed_K

1k bf of spf on the market yesterday was $841.60 it still going up.
Ed K

alan gage

Quote from: Larry on August 23, 2020, 09:25:09 PMOne of their big sellers was cottonwood construction lumber.  At the time DF lumber from the big yards was .60 cents/bf, yet they made money.

Cottonwood logs still cheap....I think money can be made....sounds way too much like work for me.  Cottonwood is heavy.
That's what I use it for here. Unfortunately it's not easy to come by good logs that haven't already been pushed in a pile and burned. I am very happy to have about 1 MBF of Cottonwood 2x lumber on sticks and as well as a couple thousand feet of select structural 2x8 and 2x10 I got super cheap at an auction a couple years ago. Of course by the time I get to the projects that wood is intended for prices will probably be back to normal....
Our local lumber yard is out of OSB and doesn't know when they'll get more. Their supplier of OSB just signed a contract to supply exclusively to Menards (midwest based big box store) so they're suddenly left without a supplier. One of their sister stores bought a few loads from Menards and then marked them up and sold them but Menards won't sell to them anymore. They're understandably a bit worried.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

snowstorm

i was told yesterday by a mill owner so he knows. one of the larger stud mills was getting as much as 1300 m for spruce lumber. 

SwampDonkey

Well, they aren't paying any premium at the mill gate for logs. This is today's prices at all their mills. We also have a competition law here that keeps an eye on wild west style price fixing.

https://irvingwoodlands.com/jdi-woodlands-wood-producers-wood-prices.aspx

Back in the day when Juniper lumber was still around (before the market collapse) , they paid $460/th delivered for logs. Stumpage was as high as $2000/acre. No prices anywhere near that yet. Ivings mill was 10 miles away in Deersdale, they never got much private wood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Old Greenhorn

Related to all this, two more articles form the working forest news regarding the duty dispute on softwoods:
First the article on the WTO finding for Canada.
And second, The US response to the ruling.

Looks like it will get argued for a good while longer. On  personal note, my SIL is working on some porch repairs for us and he went and got a sheet of T-111 yesterday (which was not cheap, BTW). He said they had many skids of the stuff, but NO plywood at all. cleaned out. I think much of it could have been re-routed to southern states in response to the hurricane, but I know the market is just nuts right now.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Banjo picker

You think plywood is high now, let a cat 4 storm hit one of the gulf states.   Tim 
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Resonator

QuoteOur local lumber yard is out of OSB and doesn't know when they'll get more. Their supplier of OSB just signed a contract to supply exclusively to Menards (midwest based big box store) so they're suddenly left without a supplier. One of their sister stores bought a few loads from Menards and then marked them up and sold them but Menards won't sell to them anymore.
Selling OSB at retailers other than the original big box store buyer is a no-no. The OSB mill will mark the ends of each bunk (stack) of sheets with a pattern of stripes, these designate that the plywood can only be sold by that particular big box store chain. (HD, Lowes, etc. will each get a different pattern). That way if someone buys it from one big box chain, they can't try to return it to a competitor. Often the loads will not even got through a distribution center, but go direct from the mill to the store. I know from hauling them in the past, and purchasing sheets that so fresh they were still warm to the touch and the paint on the edges was tacky. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

SwampDonkey

16' 2"x4" SPF is $11 a piece at Homedepot.ca It's by CANFOR.

A 16' 2"x6" is $17. So a little over a buck a foot CDN$.

Their 3/4" maple plywood is $75.50.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tule peak timber

Had a partial truck load of Baltic birch and apple ply delivered today. 165$ for 1 inch material, 4X8 sheets.Very expensive.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

SwampDonkey

Even 3/4" Russian birch is expensive, and selling in quarter sized sheets at $38 CDN. DOH!!! The last time I bought some birch was over 10 years ago and when I sawed it I could tell that the middle layers was all aspen, the smell of aspirin. That's was too much back then at $75 a sheet. They use aspen here to make berry boxes, the least expensive wood on the continent and all kinds of it. We have lots of birch, just not a lot of veneer size and nowhere near as abundant as maple wood. Maple grows like weeds up here. Not fast growing by any means, but you don't have to search for it, it's right there in your face. :D

Old Greenhorn

And the saga continues. Now some are shutting down operations.
Spike In Lumber prices halts construction....
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

I see yards full of lumber up here at the mill.

Corley5

96" SPF 2"X6"s were just short of ten bucks each at Home Depot a couple nights ago.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

stavebuyer

Boom-Bust-Boom-Bust  Take a deep breath and enjoy the onset of fall. They will soon be discounting what they are price gouging today. 

mike_belben

I'll say yer right on that stavebuyer. 

The price is always good when you are the buyer of last resort.  I have many more semi loads of stuff to move and never made over $60k a yearin my life.  Stay away from the store and you can really stretch a dollar.
Praise The Lord

woodroe

Just made an offer on a lot or bundle of 2x6 x8 PT (35 pieces) from the bargain bin AKA returns
from the local lumber yard. Stuff is good for decking on a woods bridge thats about it
and what I wanted it for.
A few years back I got em for $4 ea.
They are asking $8.50 ea. this year, offered em $5. No deal but they said nice try,.
I'll wait and see what next spring looks like. I ain't paying top dollar for rejects.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Brad_bb

Well I needed 3/4 CDX plywood for a new barn roof sheathing (mine) and to line the walls in a pole barn so the tin doesn't get damaged leaning wood or anything else up against the wall and to protect one wall from stacked hay if it falls over.

3/4 CDX is $42.50 a sheet now
23/32 BC sanded one side is $40.50 (not sure why it's lower)

On facebook market place I found 36 sheets of used 3/4 from another polebarn being taken down - $22 a sheet.

Then I found 119 sheets of new 23/32 BC sanded one side for $25 a sheet plus $100 delivery.  So in total I saved  a total of $2270 over current new price.  But I'm sure those don't come along every day.
This will help keep going to get through the price spike.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Banjo picker

I would cut me some 12 inch wide boards and tell them all to ......fill in the blank.  ...... Am I going to the wood shed for that?  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: stavebuyer on September 08, 2020, 06:58:53 PM
Boom-Bust-Boom-Bust  Take a deep breath and enjoy the onset of fall. They will soon be discounting what they are price gouging today.
You think it'll be this fall when it gets back to reality?
Necessity is the engine of drive

SwampDonkey

Or until the competition bureau slaps them with fines. :D

At least that is in place up here.

Home - Competition Bureau Canada

Thank You Sponsors!