iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing 60" wide In GA New sawing pic

Started by GAmillworker, July 07, 2013, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAmillworker

Just modified my home built mill so I can adjust width from 30", 48", and 60".  Different length band for each but well worth it.  I like to use this saw to quarter my logs then on to the baker re-saw to finish cutting them down.

Thank the Lord for second chances

drobertson

Heck yea,  nice work man, looks plenty stout for sure, it will come in handy for the big'uns , david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

I think I will have to look and see how far you are away from me.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Sounds like a great idea. Modified? Does one side slide in and out?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

It is one thing to have the idea, and another to solve all the problems to make it happen.  Nice work!  Looking forward to seeing some photos of it in action! smiley_clapping
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

GAmillworker

Customsawyer I am 50 min west of Atlanta on I-20. Exit 5

thecfarm Yes one side slides in and out.  right now pushing out by hand and pinning in place but have a hyd cylinder I plan on installing.

GAmillworker

Her is a 46" red oak my first to quarter with new blade.

A better pic of saw head

Delawhere Jack

I want one......  :)

And a 46" oak too!

fishpharmer

Impressive!  Next time I am visiting family in Atlanta, I would love to see the mill.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

Now I remember. Or I think I do.  :D  You was the one that ran the head along one side of the building.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nomad

Neat design!  If the sawhead is only supported by that central I beam, how do you keep it stabilized from rocking?  When you slide it open for larger cuts, does only the idler side move out?  Doesn't changing center of gravity affect it?  I would think torque would make it wobble.  Is it supported on the end by that member next to the building?
     I'd love to watch that think take on a big log!!!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Seaman

I love it! You ain't skeered of big logs .
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

thecfarm

Po-Jo

Very nice Ga-millworker, where you at ? My mom, sister live off cashtown road in Bremen, just a stones throw away. Shoot I need to do a round robin, stop and see Jake on the way to visit mom, sister and stop by and watch your BIG saw work, and get my learning hat on  ;D

GAmillworker

The I beam in the middle was needed to support the saw head. It was originally a cantilever design but the saw head just weighed to much.  My address for those wanting to come by is 94 McAdams dr. Tallapoosa Ga 30176. Be glad for anyone to come by and look anytime just cant demo anytime. Please Call first as this saw is just a small part of our operation and is not used every day.  Daniel 678-910-0392

Thank You Sponsors!