iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood versus steel

Started by WildDog, June 27, 2008, 10:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDog

A while back a mate of mine called wanting some rails milled for new cattle yards, he runs 600 cows and 2000 sheep with the help of his wife so the idea of building timber yards to me was a major labor drain, in the end I thought I talked him into shop bought steel yards...... Anyway he called tonight after costing the job and wants to go with wood, a couple of hundred 6x2's x 17ft hardwood, 8) the last job I did for him was to mill enough hardwood to build a new shearing shed and the logs he supplied were great up to 3 cubic yards per stick, the problem is the biguns are getting harder to find, mine is the 4th lucas mill he's had on the place in the last 10 years. We used his 160hp Deutz to load logs last time, my 90hp JD would die in the butt I I asked it to lift these logs.

The price of steel down under is getting ridiculous, not sure how it is for you guys up on top but down here  it seems each month the steel merchants in town are advertising "Get in quick before the next price rise". I just finnished a twin parrot aviary for my wife out of 1inch RHS cost $1000 for frame alone :(
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Haytrader

They are raising it here monthly.
I am rebuilding my shed and bought 120' of 12" I beam @ $12.73/ft.

:o
Haytrader

Ironwood

I have TONS and TONS of I-beams squirreled away here. I priced some the other day, and it is running 80-90 cent a pound. Like I told my wife recently, "if you have stuff, it is increasing in value if you take care of it" This goes for anything of "capital expenditure" quality.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I talked with a deacon of a church a few weeks ago.
During the time span which the church had taken to plan for a new
educational building, the cost of steel went up enough to make
wood the more financially practical way to go.  That happened
in a matter of 6-8 months.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Woodchuck53

Hey guys have you thought about 12" or 10" junior I-beam that trailer houses are framed on. I usally get them for a dollar a foot some with the axles and some with out. Framed my shop trusses and made several trailers out of them. Just a thought. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Larry

Rebar has been going up daily.  I checked Home Depot and #4 was $6.97 a stick while wholesale it was close to $9.00.  The reason for the big difference was Home Depot had some stock a couple of months old that had not been repriced, while the wholesale place was changing price daily....just like fuel. >:(
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

Wood Chuck,

I keep a couple hundred feet of those around for various things, if you keep in mind there limitations you are fine. They tend to be fairly whippy. We had one old FF member who tried to build  really long trailer for hauling logs on using a mobile home trailer I-beam frame. He proudly displayed his handy work after welding enough supplimental steel to get the darn thing rigid. He could have save TONS of time and STEEL if he would have just used REAL I-beams, so, like I said know there limitations and you're fine.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

smoothED

I just scrapped 25 tons of w-14s. Killed me to do it,but, cost too much to move them all the way to missouri.

Woodchuck53

ironwood, yep your right about whippy. 40' trusses worked out great and the 20' 3 axle open frame trailers sale as fast as I can build them. Built 1 26' dual tandem goose neck with a 5' dove tail that is still hauling around a guys JD tractor and round bailer. Like anything else got to know your limitations. Have a good one Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Ironwood

Woodchuck, sounds like you have a handle on the things.

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!