iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw gets lose why? Need a advice

Started by alsayyed, December 10, 2005, 05:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Where did I go wrong?. Every time I try to cut end the of log or cut the log inhalf I notice that the chain gets very lose then I have to rotate the screw so the chain get back to where it is belong. Has anybody run into this problem before?. My chainsaw is new the Stihl ms 650 please give me your advice.

Max sawdust

Not a Sthil man but on a husky this is how it is done.
Loosen the cover put upward pressure on the tip of the bar, tension the chain and tighten the nuts on the cover while maintaining upward pressure on the tip of the bar.
Also do not overtighten the chain.
Max
(It seems to me that new chains get lose easier at first too.)
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Kevin

alsayyed, look at your chain saw owners manual.
Max gave you the answer to your problem.

page 29

sawguy21

The chain wil stretch as it gets hot but will shrink when it cools. Adjust the chain when cold.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fishhuntcutwood

It'll also stretch more when it's new.  Some brands of chain stretch more or less than others but you may find the need to "break it in."

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Dan_Shade

they'll also heat up and stretch if you push them too hard when they're dull
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Rocky_J

Dull chains stretch a lot, sharp chains typically do not stretch (except a little bit when brand new). If your chain needs to be tightened, it also needs to be sharpened. If your chain is dull enough to stretch more than a half inch, it will be too hot to sharpen and you will need to let it cool down before adjusting and filing it.

Unfortunately many people just tighten it up and keep running it dull. This will eventually lead to much more damage to your saw, caused by excessive heat.

leweee

Check to make sure you are getting adequate lube to the chain. Not enough oil wears out a chain fast.Plugged oil hole in bar or not enough output from the oil pump for the length of bar. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Captain

You know, new chains don't really stretch much.  What makes them loose is the drive links wearing into a worn drive rim/sprocket.  Typically a new chain and drive rim/sprocket will not change in tension much..other than the normal amount from temperature fluctuation.  Rule of thumb....replace 3 chains and 1 chain drive simultaneously.  Repeat as necessary  :)

Captain

Max sawdust

Captain,
That makes perfect sense  :o
I think I learned sometin.
max
(I have the bad habit of not changing the drive spockets very often, this could be  my excuse to do it.)
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

highpockets

Are you getting sand in the chain? It is deadly.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!