iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do I want a sawmill?

Started by Alligator, November 07, 2014, 09:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Owens

I really like the different views that everyone has on this forum and I am able to learn from all of you. I enjoy the aspect of sawing lumber and cutting the material I need for whatever project I am currently working on. I guess that comes from my 20 years as a shop teacher. Now as an administrator at a middle school I need to saw lumber for therapy after a long day of dealing with all the issues related to middle school students. The ideas shared on here are entertaining, educational, and inspirational. Thanks to everyone for their views, it's what keeps me coming back day after day to see what's new.

mad murdock

Great post and very good thread Alligator!! I think you should go fer it.  I don't have much else to contribute at the moment so I will stay tuned!! smiley_deadheaders_buddy
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Alligator

Quote from: mad murdock on November 10, 2014, 05:33:48 PM
Great post and very good thread Alligator!! I think you should go fer it.  I don't have much else to contribute at the moment so I will stay tuned!!
If all goes right I probably will. It will have to be stationary. There is a little sash gang, made in the Ukraine I got my eye on (my wife is Ukrainian). Only problem with it is it cuts in "micky meters" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92_3G7v8CqE They call it a Pellaroma (I guess that's Ukrainian for gang saw) I'm 3 to 4 years away from the sawmill part. I have to get my shop / barn where I can work on something. If I made I portable I would have to put it on a 53' lowboy. I have got to wind up my IT courier before I jump into another retirement one. I am lucky and unlucky that working remotely has become so easy. "lucky" I use to have to stay at the job site and work until 8 or 10. "unlucky" now I can /sometimes have to work from my recliner until 8 to 10.  :-\

Thanks for watching
Alligator
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Jisgren

What about a hybrid?  Buy a manual mill like the  LT15 wide now.  This will get you sawing, but it still has a lot of opportunity to tinker - add a debarker, make your own hydraulics, etc.  you could even build it such that once you want to make your own mill, you unbolt and sell the LT15.

Alligator

Well, I retired in November. Sold the lathe. Built the fish scaler, sold it. I finished the barn. My psoriatic arthritis has voted against a sawmill. But, my young neighbor bought the LT35. So, if I get an itch to get some turpentine on my hands I can go down there.

firefighter ontheside

Well, that's a bummer that you will not be getting the sawmill, but you have a nice barn to cover other toys, which I assume you have.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Alligator

samandothers

With a barn like that why have a house! ;D

Alligator

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 04, 2021, 07:14:58 PM
Well, that's a bummer that you will not be getting the sawmill, but you have a nice barn to cover other toys, which I assume you have.
Yeah, but  I've had a sawmill. Time to conquer new challenges. I never learned to wield as good as I wanted. Got my eye on a plasma cutting table. I have just acquired the major components for a remote controlled dust collection system. I have the loader off the tractor, waiting for a water pump. I smoked the MB on my 3D printer, have the parts to rebuild it. My wife's above ground pool blew out in the fall. I just got finished demoing it in preparation for a new one. I'm proud I retired. 
The 12' wing on the right is my computer repair shop. The wing on the left is my mechanical repair shop. (build stuff shop) I'm going to dedicate the back left corner of the main barn to plasma cutting wielding and fabrication.  

Alligator

Quote from: samandothers on April 04, 2021, 07:39:48 PM
With a barn like that why have a house! ;D
It's my hide out (dog house)

thecfarm

Can I come hide with you?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ohioian

Alligator
  Wish you lived closer  to me here in northeastern Ohio. Youngens do not understand that with age comes wisdom  and as we get older we want to do what makes us warm and fuzzy but for some of us what brings us a  sense of pride is that we made something that makes everyone's life better. 
  I got a sawmill to cut wood that would otherwise go to waste and make something that would have a lasting effect.
 We do what we do because it makes sense to us.
 After doing what  we need to do for our family we need to do what satisfies our soul

Brob1969

Thanks for the follow-up. 
I do like the way your barn turned out! 
1990 Woodmizer LT40, 18 HP Briggs Twin II
1980 Ford 555 backhoe
1996 John Deere 4475 Skid-Steer

Alligator

Quote from: thecfarm on April 04, 2021, 08:25:40 PM
Can I come hide with you?  ;D
Any time! It only accommodates 2.😂 That futon lets out to a 12" memory foam  queen. Sleeps pretty good. I take my naps out there. It's quite.

Alligator

A couple of construction pictures of the computer shop sub floor. and stuff. I wanted a wood floor in the part I was going to spend the most time in. Better on the joints.

longtime lurker

If "retirement" is ideally about being able to do the things you want to do - looks like you got it figured. 
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

slider

Alligator nice shop. I have enjoyed reading this old post.
al glenn

Alligator

Quote from: slider on April 07, 2021, 03:49:24 PM
Alligator nice shop. I have enjoyed reading this old post.
Thanks. It's the product of about 7 years of on and off work and planning and figuring out. It was my father's horse barn. He retired and started raising and breeding Tennessee Walking horses in 1990. So it served him in his retirement and now it is serving me  in mine. I left a few of the original  6x6 post visible in the main part of the barn just to remind me of him and who built it.

Alligator

I haven't posted much of the main barn interior or mechanical shop. I just started moving ang organizing stuff from my little 12'x24' barn. I still have stuff scattered. But here are some current pictures.

My 2000 F150. I bought in 2007 when gas was $4 a gal. for 4K with 86K miles. It now has 120K. Don't see a need to buy a new one.

The area I'm standing in to take that pic is going to be the wielding/cutting area. I'm going to line the walls 12' from the corner both ways with corrugated metal to cut down on the fire risk. Also there is an exterior door for my big floor fan to blow cool (as it gets) air from outside.

Tool room and build stuff side.

I've almost had to fight a couple of people who borrowed that 60' cable hanging there. They borrow it and don't want to give it back. 

The toolbox on the left is a dedicated drilling stuff box. About 10 years I bought 40 lbs. of drill bits on Ebay  from tooth picks to 1.5" for $40, from 12" down.

That's the progress. Still 100 things that need to go in their place. Another 100 that I haven't figured out where their place is. and another 100 in the little barn

Walnut Beast

Nice shop. Even if you wanted a new sawmill you couldn't get one. I noticed TK mills are not available for delivery till 2022 and prices keep going up

WV Sawmiller

That is an embarrassingly clean shop! Looks good.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Alligator

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 08, 2021, 10:33:58 AM
 That is an embarrassingly clean shop! Looks good.
I just had the cleaning crew run over it last week. I am trying hard to not let it turn into the disaster area my little barn turned into. It's *DanG near a toxic waste dump. I out grew it and kept throwing stuff in it. Now I'm having to pull stuff out covered in spider webs and clean it piece by piece. 

Thank You Sponsors!