iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circular Sawmill

Started by HPPDRoss, August 19, 2012, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to The Forum it looks like you have the makings of a good mill Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) With frame stock both Frick and Meadows used Southern Yellow Pine for their frame stock as soft woods are Lighter more stable in section size and easier and quicker to dry than hardwoods  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Solomon

I've got an old circle blade.  It's not carbide, 40 inch, inch and a half arbor hole.  Looks in good condition to me but I know nothing about them.  Anyone got a use for it?
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

beenthere

Inserted teeth?

Puzzled what a "half arbor hole" is??

Can you post a pic for us?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

Quote from: beenthere on August 28, 2012, 06:02:33 PM
Inserted teeth?

Puzzled what a "half arbor hole" is??

Can you post a pic for us?

"inch-and-a-half" arbor hole.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Corley5

8) 8)  Someone else with G 403 Minnie Mo  8) 8)  Mine is on my Corley #5.  I've got the side shields for it.  Is yours gasoline or propane?  I've got a second one that's setup for propane that I want to put in my MM GTB tractor and run it on gasoline  ;) :).  If it's gas is your exhaust manifold still good  ???  I searched for a couple years before I found a good gas one.  Propane ones are easy to come by but will frost up if used with gasoline.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Okrafarmer

I love those MM tractors! I got to drive a G950 at one job I had. It reminded me a lot of the Chamberlain Countryman I drove in Victoria.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Solomon

"inch and a half arbor hole."     I dont know much about a circle blade but if anyone can use it to mill with, I'd be happy to give it to them.
  My email address is mastermason167@yahoo.com   I'll  can send pictures .  This site doesn't seem to like my phone for uploading pictures.    I will go take some photos right now, send me your email and I will send you some pics.

Ron Wenrich

Sounds like it might be off a Belsaw or similar type of mill.  The heavier mills use a bigger saw, and have a bigger arbor hole.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Solomon

Have pictures in my phone ,  Also it is 3/16 thick.  I would guess the kerf to be 1/4 give or take a 1/32

bandmiller2

Solomon,the teeth will give it away,are they hooked for ripping or is the face in line with the arbor for crosscut.?Standard for circular mills is 2" Belsaw used there own system 1 3/4". Usally cordwood saws are 1 3/8".Could possibly be for a large edger or some type of swing saw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Solomon

Send me your email address bandmiller,  I'll send you the pics.   mastermason167@yahoo.com      or      bandmill51@gmail.com
  now that you mention it, its toothed like a cross cut blade.  and the teeth are not all the same.   They are like a skip tooth     pattern on a band blade.

bandmiller2

Solomon,looked at your saw pictures,the blade is set up as a combination saw, teeth for boath cross and rip.My best guess is it was used on a swing saw ether manual or power swing to cut lumber on the tail end of a mill.I had a big tablesaw that would swing a 24" blade but yours is 40" much too large for a table saw.If you could post the pictures here mayby some of the guys would recognize it. Frank C.

Solomon

I've tried to post pictures,  the site keep saying the file is to large.  I'm not a computer wiz and got tired of baning my hesd against the wall.  I cant even post a profile pic.

Ron Wenrich

You need to compress your files.  I suggest you follow this link, it tells you how to do it:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56957.0.html
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

HPPDRoss

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on a power plant.  A 2 stroke detroit is out of the question, just dont have the money to fork out on one.  I was thinking of using an old ford 7.3 diesel or even a chevy 6.2 hooked to a 4 or 5 speed transmission.  Maybe even an old inline 6 gasser just to get started.  I found two school bus engines that run great (8.2 Detroit, 6.6 Ford) but both have automatic transmissions behind them.  These two motors are also in my price range.  I know the automatic is a problem, any thoughts on how to work around this.  A Rockwell PTO to put on either of these engines is also out of my price range.

bandmiller2

HPPD,the  problem with the engines you describe is the lack of the propper governor.Highway diesels usally have only a limiting speed gov. gasoline engines no gov.I know guys that had milled most of their lives with old 6 cyl chevy engines or slant six chryslers,but speed control is a problem.Old farm tractors with poor tires make good mill power if their large enough,lots of torque and a variable speed gov.Pump,generator,and old shovel power units are also a good choise.Some of the guys here use automotive type engines hope they chime in.Myself I've always used diesel power units with propper gov.'s and really can't tell you how well the vehicle engines will work. Frank C.

HPPDRoss

Bandmiller, I have one other option, which may be the best, my M Farmall.  I just re-ringed the engine and rebuilt the head.  I was told this mill I have was powered by a Super M and flat belt years ago.  The reason I was trying to avoid this was fuel consumption but I may have to bite the bullet and using it anyway.

dblair

the super m is 47 hp on  the belt  at 5.47 gal per hr.  A little low on power but will power the mill.
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: dblair on September 02, 2012, 10:52:53 PM
the super m is 47 hp on  the belt  at 5.47 gal per hr.  A little low on power but will power the mill.

Much better torque than a car engine of 47 hp, though. I reckon it will do all right.

paul case

I ran a 40'' circ blade with an m trying to cut hardwoods and it will do it but yoiu dont want to let it loose any speed or oops will occur. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

HPPD,probibly the best thing to do is belt up the farmall until you run across a governed diesel power unit.Alot of your sucess will depend on your saw and the number of bits,smaller saw or one with fewer bits,requires much less HP.A big saw with alot of teeth requires serious HP.Red will have a serious thurst for petrol.Frank C.

Dakota

My Dad (he's 90) has been sawing with a Super M for many years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTEnFu0FmG8

Dakota
Dave Rinker

Okrafarmer

Use the Super M for now and watch for another engine. Maybe a generator engine you can pick up cheap where the generator itself has blown up? Just thinking out loud. Or maybe somebody will scrap out some old equipment like they did near us recently.

Steamenginesmitty

Quote from: HPPDRoss on September 02, 2012, 07:21:18 PM
Do any of you guys have any suggestions on a power plant.

STEAM!  That is a beautiful old mill and it needs a nice matching steam engine!

smiley_grin

HPPDRoss

yeah steam would be nice, but here in SC I could probobly go by a brand new f350 Lariat for what I could get a steam engine/tractor for.

Thank You Sponsors!