iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas slabber washboard

Started by Seaman, January 19, 2013, 08:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

I believe I have finally began to understand my washboard pattern on slabs. The bar was shimmed nose up, which was part of the climbing problem. I was also not able to maintain equal angles on the right and left cutters, also making the saw climb during the cut. We got the shims right, and bought a Oregon electric chain sharpener from a friend for $150, so solving angle. Cutting much better now.Still a little washboard on the far right side of slab. My helper today (wonderful Daughter) , noticed today the right end of bar was a little higher (1/4 in) , so made another adjustment, but did not get to test .

On advice from Oregon, I have the sharpener set on  50deg head setting, 10deg cutter angle, and 10 deg hook,   Sound right to you folks?

Thanks, Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can't help you Frank, but I would LOVE to have a slabber that cut washboard slabs.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

KnotBB

The authority on that would be Lucas/Baileys, call or e-mail either.

I do know raker height is critical.  A little more helps a lot.  Also you need to be sure the bar is flat.  Tends to get a big dip in it from hauling around in the back of a pickup.   
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

logboy

The factory setting for rakers is like .035. I take all my chains to .050.  55 degrees is where I set my grinder's head setting. As for the cutter angle, I have since changed all mine from 10 to 15 degrees. They dont seem to last any longer at 10, but they sure do cut slower. Check out this thread for more.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56379.msg871698.html#msg871698
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Thank You Sponsors!