iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Auto Tune Question

Started by Fly Fisher, October 09, 2010, 08:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fly Fisher

I bought a 576XPAT recently, haven't had it running yet but called the Dealer and asked about breaking in this saw. They said after running 10 tanks of fuel through it, it will lean out and the RPM's will sound higher than normal. I will need to take it into a Husqvarna Servce Tech to have it re- tached? I found the adjustment screw and the Dealer told me it took a special screw driver to reset it.
They could not sell me a screw driver or they would be fined $1400 plus jail time (EPA).  I have had a 262XP since they first came out and have adjusted the carb on it about 4 times before learning to clean the airfilter first(probably didn't have to adjust at all). My question are these Auto-Tunes going to be a Mechanics money maker or is this tach resetting going to be a once a year maintenance thing.
I was also told that unless you are certified to work on these types of saws you can be fined also? What a load of Governmental CRAP! Any insight or should I take this saw back to the Dealer and get a 372XP w the X-torque engine?

John Mc

The EPA can't fine them for telling you what screwdriver to use. They might be able to fine them for selling the screwdriver to an uncertified person??
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Cut4fun

Show me a pic of the screw head that makes the adjustment. Plenty of redneck ways around it or the a epa screwdriver like it may already be out. Pacman, double D, D, splines etc.

Skiddah

I think this is a mechanic's money maker.  This seems to me like it's inline with stuff that auto makers pull, sealed engines, special tools, etc. to keep you going back to the dealership.  I was talking with the guy at my saw shop a few weeks back and he was not interested at all in what Husqvarna was doing with these saws.  He sells mostly Jonsereds now, and he was worried that perhaps this trend might cross into the Jonsered market.  That would be tragic in my opinion.
I'm also on board with your "load of governmental crap."  These things seem to take us by suprise and when is it going to end?  Also I'd be interested to see what input the EPA had when coming up with these regulations.

Rocky_J

Dealers use these regulations as excuses to deny customers the ability to work on their own saws. Of course they won't sell you the special screwdriver because then you won't need to pay them a half hour shop time to adjust your saw.

I would be searching on Google and/or ebay until I found one of those screwdrivers.

HolmenTree

I got three 576AutoTunes and I never heard anything about this special screwdriver .
When I picked up these saws new last Feb 2010 from my Husqvarna dealer he showed me the factory tech sheet on the 576AT. It said the saws are set lean in Sweden to meet EPA regs. I was told with the very first 5 minutes of operation the saw had to be run at wide open throttle in the biggest logs possible to reset the computer. I did that in 24-36" spruce for 5 minutes with a 32" b/c. I was amazed the power these saws had right from scratch brand new. The saws have run flawles ever since.
The Auto tune is amazing technology , I couldn't set the carb as good manualy if it had screws. 30 F below - 100F above its sets itself perfectly. Even tunes itself when it runs out of gas, no leaning out etc. In 37 yrs running saws professionally I'm sold on it.
The 372XTorque doesn't offer Auto Tune. The new top handle T540xp  coming out in a year or so will have AutoTune also.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

snowshoveler

there is no fancy screwdriver used for autotune 576 huskys...autotune  autotunes by itsself.
anyone telling you otherwise is a crook looking to take your hard earned cash.
there are no adjustments at all on the carb.
it can be reset back to original settings but use the thing it has learning abiity.
compensates for filter changes and fuel changes.
no screws.
we were told to run the biggest bar we had on them and put them in the wood they will set themselves.

chris...husky service tech
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Fly Fisher

HolmenTree, there is a black plastic screw that is threaded running into the carb, I think this is the screw the Dealer was talking about? It is located in the same spot as the needle valves used to be but there is only one now. I bought the Auto Tune for the reasons you mentioned. The Dealer said you will notice a higher RPM rev after 10 tanks of gas? did you notice anything like that on your saw?
It was explained to me that the saw will lean out and have to be reset by their certified tech? I sure hope it is all Hog Wash. All Husqvarna XP models are supposed to be going to Auto Tune in the near future.

snowshoveler

ive sold and serviced a few of these saws and even replaced 1 of the carbs...never saw a screw for any adjustment.screws for dissassembly  thats it.
IPL dosent show any either.
how about a pic of this
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Fly Fisher

Snowshoveler, no need for a picture, the screw I was looking at was a plastic screw I thought went to the carb but it just dead ends into I believe the choke linkage? So what is this Dealer feeding me about a tach adjustment after the 10 tank break-In Period?

Cut4fun

Sounds like your dealer is talking about old school carbs and resetting them after break in.

Maybe time for a new dealer that knows what he is selling.

HolmenTree

Fly Fisher, yes after about 10 tanks the 576s rings and bearings are setting in and there definately is a raise in rpm and hp. Completely normal.
I never had to take mine back in for resetting, unless the newest models do need it I can't say for sure.
There shouldn't be a charge from your dealer if what he is saying is true. Seeing your 576 should still be on warranty. From what I understand the computer mounted on top of the carb has its own memory and does everything itself. You just have to run the saw hard for its first 5 minutes to reset the computer from its factory setting.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Fly Fisher

Thanks for all your posts and setting me straight, I'll just run this saw in like my other saws.

John R

OK, I have to ask, what make of saw is this Auto-Tune?
I'm in the market for a bigger saw and might give on of these a try if I knew what it was.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

John Mc

The autotune referred to by the OP is a Husky. I believe they have a couple of them out. Supposedly, they will soon be coming out with a stratocharged Autotune to replace the 357 XP as well. Model numbers will be the 560 XP, and the 562 XP (560 takes the small mount bar, 562 is the large mount. I believe they are otherwise identical.)

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!