iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rotary Phase Converter for Logosol Planer/moulder

Started by NorthJersey, October 17, 2019, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthJersey

What is "farm phase," and do you think this converter will do the trick for my Logosol PH260?

Don P

The farm phase is just a marketing term. I can't tell from the plate if it is a rotary or static, if it is on a rotary motor and within the specs needed for the logosol there is no reason it wouldn't work. Worth a call to the logosol folks.

YellowHammer

There are several levels of output power accuracy, consistency, and noise levels in 3 phase converters, as well as the balance of the created phase leg to the other legs.  So a farm phase would be a less accurate version for non sensitive 3 phase equipment such as 3 phase air compressors, conveyors, lifts and other "farm" stuff.

More accurate and clean systems run equipment that requires greater consistency and balance, and generates a much higher quality 3 phase leg (called a "manufactured leg") such as anything computer controlled, electronically controlled, or otherwise heavy with electronics, or with motors can't take or won't like poorer quality input power.

Personally, I recommend American Rotary equipment, they have a life time warranty, are very quiet, and they offer several different grades of equipment.  When I bought my 3  phase straight line rip saw, the only way the manufacturer would provide a warranty was if it was driven with an American Rotary ADX Series phase converter.  I have run American Rotary equipment for years and never had any problem on the SLR, our facer, and also our edger.  In addition, sizing a phase converter for your specific application is critical, and is also discussed on their website, or just give them a call.

Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Al_Smith

A rotary phase converter is just a three phase motor with a capacitor start system and balancing capacitors across the manufactured phase .In essence it's an induction generator .Properly designed they are around 92 percent efficient .
I've made about 20 of them myself ,it's not rocket science .You can find any info you need from the internet so I won't go into any theory about them only to say they work well .
My shop has a 5 HP converter using two single phase transformers to boost the 240 volt single phase to 480 volt and use that for 480 three phase .Then going through a three phase transformer to get 240 volt three phase . I have an old Walker-Turner drill press that has a single voltage 240 volt motor so the 240 three phase was necessary .
Generally speaking a rotary will start up to the same size as the converter .Meaning a 5 HP will start another 5 but will run up to around three times that amount .My 5 is running 6.5 HP at this time .Fact I've got a large enough start cap on the converter it will start the whole lot at one time which I found out strictly  by accident . 

Al_Smith

You have to keep in mind they also tout "solid state" converters .All those are is a start circuit with running capacitors across the "dummy " phase to keep from burning the winding out .Those are only about on a 56-58 percent efficiency though meaning about 5-6  HP from a 10 HP motor .They work in some situations,some they don't .But keep in mind you aren't paying for a 10 HP and only getting 6 out of it,doesn't work that way .

Don P

That's what I know as a static phase converter. I made one and it worked ok but with the same parts and a spare 3ph motor I turned it into a rotary pretty quick.

Al_Smith

Yes plus the fact a salvage 3 phase motor is pretty cheap to find .At the risk of sounding like a know it all  many people over complicate rotary converters .Like it's something new which it's not .Nor is it black magic or rocket science .
Companies like Roto Phase have made a bloody fortune selling these things which are very easy to make .
As a side note when I retired about a year ago I had in excess of 50 years doing electrical work .I would come up with some unusual methods which really had the apprentices scratching their heads .I used to say give me enough transformers and capacitors I could make a bolt of lightning .They didn't know if I was serious about that or not  . 8)----Well you have to get a little fun out of life you know . ;D

Thank You Sponsors!