iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland mills

Started by Cobblestone Construction, April 01, 2016, 11:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobblestone Construction

hello,

I'm a new member and looking for some mill advice. I'm looking a woodland mills.

My use would be primarily re sawing recycled timbers into planks. They are mostly 8"x8" heart pine lots of resin but beautiful wood.

Would the woodland mills do that? This is not in a production mode but a pretty heavily used home shop.

Would anybody have a better suggestion in that price range?

Thanks!

Chuck Fox

thecfarm

Cobblestone Construction, I just want to welcome you to the forum.
Some on here have sawed old timbers. There is a trick to doing it. Besides "trying" to remove ALL the nails.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Cobblestone Construction, and there are plenty of Woodland Mills owners here.  The problem that you will have sawing those timbers will not be sawmill related, but resin.  Your challenge will be to keep the blade wet with Diesel or whatever to prevent a buildup on the blade.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Welcome to the forum. you'll find a lot of good information and help here. 

I have the HM126 and have been happy with it and the company.  It's a good saw for the money.  It's hard to know how it compares to other saws in it's class without using all of them.  The company has provided excellent support, but I've only had a couple small issues which they took care of quickly with no fuss.  All of the bearings, belts, and things that wear out are standard parts and can be sourced from local suppliers. 

You might find that 7 degree blades work better on the old pine.  I had a lot of 100 year old long leaf pine and it was hard stuff.  Like Magicman said, the resin will be a big bother but it is manageable. 

Be aware that once you start sawing you might get hooked.  Sawdust is highly addictive.

HM126

goose63

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Cobblestone i have the Woodland 126 and think it will do a bang up job for you watch out for the  nails and keep the blade clean 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Ianab

I agree with the others. That little mill is going to do the job as well as anything else in that price range, and for your purpose, probably match some more expensive machines as well.

Problems that you will have are going to be common on any mill. Sawing dry wood, pitch build up, foreign objects, material handling etc. That comes down to blade choice, blade lube and maintenance, a good metal detector and things like roller tables for material handling. Not insurmountable problems, but things to consider.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Cobblestone Construction!

Where abouts in Upstate, NY?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

1ruralmailman

welcome to the group.are you by chance located in greene,ny? if so i am just up the road in coventry.

Cobblestone Construction

Chuck White

I'm about 3 hours from Rochester!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cobblestone Construction

Rando

I have a place in Smyrna, outside of Norwich.
My brother in law has a farm in Oxford.

21incher

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Cobblestone Construction. I am just about 1/2 hour from Rochester. I have a Hudson HFE-21, but  with the drive belt setup you have to be careful about what lube you use to cut the pitch so I don't think it would work in your application. Last week I saw a resaw listed on the Rochester Craigslist. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!