iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log/Lumber ID

Started by Pepe_Silvia, October 20, 2020, 06:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepe_Silvia

Came from south central Oklahoma - presumably grew naturally.

The guy that brought it in said it had nuts on it.  He was pretty certain they were walnuts, but this doesn't look like any walnut I've seen.

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

WDH

Most definitely hickory. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Pepe_Silvia

Thanks!  I see a lot of Pecan but this is the first Hickory I've cut.  Guess the nuts look similar enough to walnuts when they're in the husk.
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

WDH

Walnuts have a husk on them that does not split and release the nut.  It has to be rubbed/worn off.  The botanical term for this characteristic is an indehiscent involucre (a covering which does not split).   Hickory (and pecan which is a hickory) have nut husks that split at lines of suture (dehiscent) and open up and release the nut.  Hickory is in the walnut family so they are related.  Hickory gets confused a lot with walnut.  But, the bark is different, the leaves are different, and the fruit is different.  Just because a tree produces a nut does not make it a walnut :).  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

Thats a highly valuable hickory nut.

;D
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!