iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lubrication or dry cut

Started by Arkyrick, July 20, 2018, 08:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyrick

This may be an old discussed topic but I cant seem to find it, I always run water on my WM LT 15 blade when I cut it just makes sense to me to lubricate and cool the blade. I never cut dry but many times I see videos of sawyers cutting dry. Opinions would be appreciated.
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

Arkyrick

well heck ! as soon as I posted this 4 previous posts on the subject came up sorry about that.
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

firefighter ontheside

I cut hardwoods dry and conifers with lube.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Lawg Dawg

I usually run a good drip on most wood, sometimes I even squirt a little diesel on it. I like a good SLICK blade
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

bandmiller2

I worked as sawyer for a guy with a LT-70 Mizer and we never used lube of any type and had no problems, w. pine and oak. Try cutting without lube. On my own band mill I use a wick and whatever oil I have around, never a drip just a thin sheen on the band. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DPatton

I find myself running a dry blade more and more of the time. I have been using diesel in my drip which allows me to saw for days and days without going through a tank of lube. If I am sawing something with much pitch in the log then I will turn it on to a single drip once every three to five seconds. Otherwise I only turn it on to occasionally clean the blade. It works for me and saves me from having to fill the lube tank daily or more often like I did when using water and additives.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

DR_Buck

I have a lubmizer system on my LT40.  I use it all the time.   Whenever I see any gunk sticking to the blade I increase how often the spray comes on.    I use only  water and Pinesol.    I add extra Pinesol when I mill sappy pine.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Peter Drouin

I cut dry all the time. Maybe for one or two cuts to clean the blade.
Only water.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PA_Walnut

Have used all kinds of concoctions :

• Pinesol+Dawn+water (works for most wood, needs significant drip)
  • Orange Cleaner+dishsoap+water (works on some wood ok, builds up on some)
  • Windshield Washer fluid (in winter, so doesn't freeze. Works great)
  • Water with methanol. (like cooling effect on blade for BIG cuts).
  • CottonPicker Spindle Grease + water+soap (current favorite--nice shiny blades).
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

bandmiller2

My band mill is located in a building on a smooth concrete floor. Water and sawdust makes a mess, diesel and sawdust is a fire hazard and stinks. Most of the time lube is not needed. As I said try without, and save some hassle. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!