iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rain vs. Sun

Started by alecs, April 10, 2013, 04:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alecs

Hi,
Here's a general wood drying question, applicable to both green lumber and firewood.

Is it better, when air drying wood, that it get exposed to the sun (but occasionally rained on) or kept dry in a shed, but not exposed to direct sunlight?  For firewood, maximum drying effect is desired, without worrying about checking, warping, etc.  But maybe the rules are different for lumber?  Hardwood vs. softwood?  This is in Massachusetts, if climate is a big impact.

Right now I have a stack of oak firewood that is sitting outdoors with some cedar planks (by no means watertight) as sort of a roof.  The whole thing is sitting on pallets to get some air circulation underneath.  Will the wood dry faster like this, or should I put it in the wood bin under my barn where it gets no rain, but also no sun and less air circulation?

For green lumber (mostly pine) that I am planning to air dry, should the stacks be outdoors in the sun or in my three sided shed?

Thanks for your opinions
Alec

beenthere

Lumber
As long as the stickered piles are covered on top, then outside in the sun should be ok. But inside with plenty of room for air movement would be my choice over the "outside in the sun". 

Firewood
Covered on top, but outside in the sun.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Best results are generally if can keep the sun AND rain off the drying stack, but allow the best possible air flow.

The sun / rain will weather the top boards, and rain re-wets the wood and may cause issues with staining and mould. But a 3 sided shed may not allow good airflow to carry the moisture away, so you get slow drying with fungus and mould again.

Ideal is an open structure like a carport so you get airflow. but protection from the weather.

If you are stacking outdoors, you can make a temporary roof. Old plywood, roofing iron, a cheap tarp etc. Put it on top of the stack, and weight it down so it doesn't blow away, and also doesn't block the air flow through the sides of the stack.

Once the wood is mostly dry, down to ~20 it will be safe in a more enclosed shed for longer term storage

Species of wood and climate do have an effect, but green pine is prone to mould, so you want that dried as fast as you can. Other species are more forgiving, and others more demanding to get right. The oak firewood is fine drying like you have yours, but you aren't worried if stains for gets surface checks, you just want it dry.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!