iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Cord of Firewood

Started by Geotech, June 01, 2020, 02:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geotech

OK...so I got an impulse to cut some firewood.  A neighbor down the street had a large pecan tree that was recently felled.  So I spent a day to cut up and bring this stuff home.  Now, I don't have a need, or really a want, for this firewood.  I mostly wanted to put my new saw to work.  But now I have what appears to be 1.5 cords of pecan wood.  I bought an axe, a maul and a hatchet (about $100.00 in total) to chop it up.  Bounce bounce bounce went those tools on most of the big rounds.  So now I need to rent a wood splitter (another $100.00) for a day to process the rounds.  

I'd like to sell this stuff after its cured for a few months.  Firewood is not a particularly valuable commodity around here.  Fireplaces are more for looks than function here in Texas.  But I think there is a better market for BBQ since it's pecan.  I've checked Craigslist and Offerup and there appears to be only a handful of sellers and some random one-off folks (like soon to be me) selling similar wood.  Seems like going price for a cord is about $300.00 and that may or may not include delivery.  Then there are some adds for basically $1.00 per piece of wood.  These are just adds. I don't know if these guys actually have buyers. 

What is the best way to sell this stuff?  I don't want to deliver, requiring me to load, drive and unload.  Plus it could be quite a long drive depending on where in the DFW metroplex area the customer is located.  I think I'd have to charge more than the customer would pay to make it worth my while?  I don't really want to coordinate 100 separate sales of people coming over to buy a single small bundle.  But I don't know what other options I have.  I could contact any of the countless number of BBQ restaurants around town, but I'm a little self conscious that they have people like me bothering them all the time?  I'm just a guy with a desk job that likes messing around in my spare time.  This was some hard labor though, and I'd like to make some money out of it.

Thanks in advance!

<br
>

Hilltop366

Splitting wedge?

You can use your chainsaw to cut a grove in the end of the block if it is difficult to start a wedge.

JJ

If that is all of it, its not a cord.   Maybe 1/2.
Forget the axe and hatchet, keep bouncing that maul - if you can hit same mark couple of times it will split.

Another tip for splitting by hand; don't try to split through center of the big rounds, take off edges and whittle it down.

JJ

EOTE

Advertise it on Craigslist.  Name your price and conditions.  Someone will bite.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Geotech

Thanks Etote.  I'll give it a try.

Not a cord?  A cord is 8x4x4.  That's a 20 ft trailer you see in the pic..  Perhaps it will be less than a cord after it's split.  I'll follow up when it's done.  

JJ

Was looking at 2nd picture of stacked rounds, I'm not there so not a good judge how much is there at all.  Could be a cord more or less.

JJ

barbender

I'm with JJ. I don't think that's a full cord. Loose rounds take more volume to make a cord. A cord is 128 cubic feet of neatly stacked wood. Loose thrown wood is in the area of 170-180 cubic feet for a cord, depending on length. But yes, it is hard to judge by a picture.
Too many irons in the fire

Wudman

A pecan tree made me buy my wood splitter.  A tree came down in a neighbors yard and I volunteered to remove it.  I was in pretty good shape at the time and I beat on it for hours with a splitting hammer without much progress.  The hydraulic splitter did the job.  I've been using the same machine for 20 year now.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

jmur1

sell it as smoking wood - smokers like pecan!
Easy does it

Geotech

Turned out to be a cord...plus a tiny but more.

straincm

I was skeptical too of how much was there. Photos can be deceiving. I really like the "portable shade". I will have to remember this next time I need to set up in one spot for a while.

Geotech

Yeah, there were some pieces hiding behind the trailer on the second pic.  I debated about putting that canopy up, thinking it might not be worth it for the two morning hours of splitting time I estimated.  After a full day of splitting with a ragged out rental splitter, I was glad I put it up.

I have a 24-acre property about 1.5 hours east of my home chocked full post oaks - mostly small 8 to 12 inch diameter.  I am wondering if it would be worth it to buy an Eastonmade 22-28 with a box wedge and process 4 inch cubes of smoker wood.  Probably not, but it would be an excuse to buy a nice wood splitter.  Problem is that I also want to get a sawmill....

btulloh

Problem?  No problem there, just get both.  :)

Buying more equipment is never a problem. Paying for it can be a little snag sometimes.  :D
HM126

Tacotodd

Yeah, paying for them is definitely a problem. But with enough of a mindset, it CAN be done. I just hope that I could do it. Swinging a maul gets old fast, but it keeps you in shape.
Trying harder everyday.

EOTE

Quote from: Tacotodd on June 10, 2020, 09:43:58 AM
Yeah, paying for them is definitely a problem. But with enough of a mindset, it CAN be done. I just hope that I could do it. Swinging a maul gets old fast, but it keeps you in shape.
My wife insisted that I trade in my splitting maul for a splitter even though it is only for personal use heating my barn.  I liked the exercise but honestly with the splitter we bought (Champion 27 Ton) I have done the whole winter's firewood in two afternoons.  Saves me a lot of time.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Thank You Sponsors!