iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Food Plots!

Started by TroyC, August 29, 2020, 09:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyC

Getting ready for fall food plot planting 8) and was wondering what others in central Georgia are planting and having luck with.

I have good luck with forage oats, rape, and a little clover mixed in. I'm not super particular and probably don't prep as well as I should but a reasonable weed kill, plowing, seeding, and rolling work satisfactorily as long as it rains some.

I've tried sunflower and soybeans. They get eaten as soon as they sprout.  :'(

I've done 3way and 5way mix but I like to put clover on top.

I do 5-6 plots on 200 acres. Plots are mostly 1/2-1 acre in size.

So, hunters and watchers, whatcha planting this year?

mike_belben

I put in a tiny plot of radish and turnip on a small dirt hill ive dozed up from stripping the top soil so the area doesnt brush in and obstruct the shot.  Its a narrow lane from a blind on another hill in my back yard.  The deer needs to be standing in a real specific spot for alignment thru the trees.

I also put pokeweed seeds in there.  its covered in native weeds theyve been chewing.  When fall comes all that will lean over but the turnip will hopefully stay thru much of winter.
Praise The Lord

TroyC

I put some of those big radishes in a few years ago and the deer didn't seem to bother them much. They will be on the oats a week or two after planting if it rains.

mike_belben

Sorry i shoulda clarified.  I companion planted the radish to keep the flea beetles off the turnips.  Or atleast reduce the damage.
Praise The Lord

A-z farmer

I do not plant food plots but the deer seem to eat everything we try to grow.I see others here plant food plots and they fence it off so it gets a chance to grow.We used to grow 5 acres of beets but the deer would eat them to the ground I even tried mixing them in with turnips but they still mowed just the beets down .There is 100 acres of alfalfa planted around my house and there is 50 deer a day here but they also eat the corn soybeans and apples every day .Good luck in your planting

braucher

I have six acres I split it up with winter rye oats and winter peas .
the other half is ground hog radish and purple top turnips .
I also have two clover plots about two acres lightly seeded with forage radishes for when the clover runs out .The clover plots are seperate from the six acres .

K-Guy

A few years ago, I think I had some cajun deer in my garden, they seemed to really like my green peppers!!  :D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

jb616

Radish and turnips are coming up and this weekend I will plant winter rye. One more time of winter rye in a couple weeks. My plots are new this year from cleared forest so we hit them with 2500lbs of lime this summer. Also tried buckwheat this spring to build the soil but the deer decided that they liked it better. 

Walnut Beast

Talked to my buddy about food plots the other day. And without a doubt Buck Forage Oats are at the top of the list to plant. That be what this boys going to plant. His big buck last year was in it when he arrowed it last year. 

beenthere

Don't plant any food plots. Still lots of nice bucks around. This one walked up a path to a trail cam recently. Two more similar in rack size around too.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Nice, a late-night buck!
~Ron

Walnut Beast

It's Buck Forage Oats! When a Buddy becomes a dealer for Buck Forage Oats and says he's got a pallet coming to my place you say ok 💪. He believes in that stuff more than all the others. He moved to Iowa and no dealers close. So become one. He's only got about 25+ wall hangers. All shot with bow. I think my last count was 28

WDH

What makes Buck Forage Oats different than regular oats?  Also, Buck Forage Oats are $2.40 per pound on Amazon but Plotspike Forage Oats Food Plot Seed is $.60 per pound at Tractor Supply.  I would what the difference is?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Walnut Beast

Buck Forage Oats are the best food plot seed for white-tailed deer on the market, period. Here's why: they're the first choice preference of whitetails, they're extremely freeze tolerant, they're resistant to disease and over grazing and they have industry best germination rates.

That's kinda the claim to fame

https://www.buckforage.com/

brianJ

Quote from: WDH on August 04, 2022, 09:54:49 AM
What makes Buck Forage Oats different than regular oats?  Also, Buck Forage Oats are $2.40 per pound on Amazon but Plotspike Forage Oats Food Plot Seed is $.60 per pound at Tractor Supply.  I would what the difference is?
The higher price makes you feel better.

beenthere

QuoteThat's kinda the claim to fame

That is the claim.. but does it work?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

My buddy has been the top 3D champion in the nation. Takes big bucks year in and year out, hunts Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska and knows a network of hunters that believe Buck Forage Oats are tops. A guy we both know that farms a couple thousand acres and has a side business of selling deer feed and food plot seed will tell you that Buck Forage is the most palatable and freeze resistant for his food plots and many others.  He gets food plot seed and bagged deer feed by the semi load. Pallet after pallet in big machine buildings that he sells to customers and outfitters in Kansas and southern Nebraska. 

Walnut Beast

Pallet of Buck Forage Oats baby 💪. Let's get to planting. For all the fans of the cheap seed Or should I say quality seed. We got it to 😂 

newoodguy78

How many pounds to the acre are you putting down? Drilling them or broadcast?

Walnut Beast

Jeff

So do they come back up first for forage in the spring in harsh winter areas like winter rye does?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

newoodguy78

Unless that's some strange hybrid all the oats I've planted are done once they get hit by frost. Very little if any come back that I've noticed even when they were fully headed out. 
Certainly interested in first hand experience with it :P

Walnut Beast

They are a annual and very freeze resistant

Jeff

So forage oats must be awnless so the deer will eat the seedhead?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

newoodguy78

What temperatures are you seeing freeze resistance down to?

Thank You Sponsors!