iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wooden bridge

Started by Patrick NC, October 16, 2021, 06:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

I want to build a wooden bridge across a small creek on my property. It will be built from rough cut white oak. The span from bent to bent is 16 feet.  Ideally I would like to drive my truck across it. (Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4) I've tried to find a calculator for timber size and spacing but no luck so far.  Has anyone ever done this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

moodnacreek

What they used to do was stretch cables under the beams with turn buckles . There would be a fulcrum at the half way point and the cable is trying to crown the beam up. The other way is an A frame truss top side with a pull up rod in the middle doing the same thing and easier to make. This is for people like me wo can't engineer things sometimes called the dumb way.

Larry

Back when I actually had to work for a living, I was a manager in the telephone company outside plant engineering office.  I designed some pretty weird tunnels and supporting structures.  I found I could get off the shelf designs from the state highway department engineering office...free.  I remember seeing bridge designs made from wood in their library.

With that in mind I did a google search using the term "timber bridge design manual".

Very first hit looked promising with many others.

Timber Bridge Manual

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Mooseherder

You might want to consider 20 ft steel Beams and deck over with wood.
10 inch I-beams are about 500 each.  3 for 1500 bucks is money well spent.

Resonator

X2 on adding steel beams, especially for something to support vehicle traffic and to get years of use. Some have used old semi flatbed trailers with the wheels removed for crossings.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

woodroe

Log loading calculator, insert species, length, total load in lbs... top 3 items upper left column
click on show result.
Use the minimum dia. log required for L/360 deflection to determine size of log needed.

Log Beam Calculator
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Thank You Sponsors!