The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Telehandler. What to look for?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
Re: Telehandler. What to look for?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 08:47:59 PM »
sorry doug but im in camp telehandler for small places. i have owned 4 wheel steer and articulated.  the yard must be designed for a wheel loader.  the yard that isnt designed at all, is for a lull.  we had one in a residential backyard and it was like an elephant in a broom closet but always got in and out with ease.  same at the junkyard.. the zoomboom went where the wheel loader couldnt.  didnt pick the same weight, but in that application getting to the junk someone is standing there wanting to buy thats 6 pallets deep without moving them all was what counted.  
Problem is you have never been here. Those DT 360's w/ twin turbos blow up coming up from the Delaware :D. I have delivered to job sites that unloaded me with one. I have 2 10,000 lbs forklifts and they can get stuck on a banana peel but they are fast and handle more than you should pick up. Anyway I have a poor yard and more machines than i can take care and oh yeah, you got any Rotella? Your ever critical  buddy, Doug

Offline Jkauffman

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 10:42:39 PM »
We have been advised by a reputable mechanic to buy a lift with an inline engine/transmission.We had 2 older JCBs that had the engine over top the transmission and they both had transmission failures.Now u cant go by just 2 machines but according to this mechanic it is much more common to have tranny troubles with these vs an inline arrangement.The stacked configuration allows for shorter machines which is nice on a crowded job sight though.We now have a genie gth 644 which is a good machine but is much longer than the older jcb.For what its worth 

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2021, 05:53:50 AM »
I will admit that I have a few leaks on my telehandler too. That is how I know it still has hyd. oil in it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2021, 07:38:28 AM »
How dare you short change me 106 cubic inches sir!  DT360 would not get my loaded goose up the pass @80mph no matter how many turbos you put on it.   Ive got smokies to outrun you know. 

air_plane
Isaiah 63:10

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2021, 01:53:56 PM »
Keep the advice coming. We are going to look at another one today. Itll probably turn out to be a JCB. The guy left the key in it for us to check it out. He wont be there.  I want to ensure parts are available for whatever we get. I rarely get rid of anything.

We did go look at the JCB.  It had 5800 hours, started and did everything as it should.  It is a nimble machine.  We have a couple more lined up to look at.  The transmission has evidently been replaced/upgraded.  How much blow by is acceptable in a Perkins engine?  When the oil fill cap is removed while running, there is a little noticeable.

Caveman

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2021, 10:05:38 PM »
That fork rack will be helpful for long lumber and hurtful on small pallets like say stacked firewood thats real tight.  You wont be able to go 2 cubes deep without moving the two neighbor cubes to make clearance.  

In firewood, so what..  but when i was grabbing a specific pallet of stone 4 rows back that sometimes meant moving a dozen and drove me nuts.  

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2021, 10:30:48 PM »
If we end up with this one or another with a fork rack like this, I'll likely make an adapter to enable it to share skid steer attachments.  The side shift forks could be useful at times.  This JCB had a shuttle shifter to the left of the steering wheel with five speed settings with the twist of the shifter handle.

Online chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2021, 08:43:57 AM »
Good transmission when everything is working. PIA to service and repair. Parts availability is less than ideal currently. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2021, 09:19:19 AM »
Fork shifter is the berries when loading semi.  Especially on a wheel loader that needs a lot of space behind it to jog over 6 inches and still keep the load square to the rub rail. 

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2021, 06:57:40 AM »
I really liked a lot about the JCB but the hours, enclosed cab, price and the parts/transmission advice from y'all will probably keep me looking.  This machine is about 16000 lbs and shorter in length than some of the Lulls and JLG machines that really interest me (636-642). 

Whatever we get it will probably only be run two or three hours a week.  An older, low hour machine would be ideal.    

I read last night that the Genie machines have a good reputation and they are the new Terex.

Mike, the side shift would also be handy for loading and unloading our kiln and installing the panel on the front of it between the doors.  

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2021, 09:15:39 AM »
Our little articulated loader is about the most aggravating thing loading the kiln. I do kind of like the screen in front of the operator although its another blind spot thing. The damage to the sticks and valve on the right of the operator in ours says something fell into the cab from overhead.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2021, 10:07:23 PM »
Do any of you have opinions or experience with the rear steer Gradalls.  They seem to be about half of the price of the four wheel steer machines that are in similar condition.  I watched a video of one turning and it seemed to get around relatively well but we are limited in space around the mill shed.
Caveman

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2021, 06:32:41 AM »
I don't. I will say that as long as my machine is, I would not want to be without 4 wheel steer. I don't know how long those machines are.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2021, 07:37:39 AM »
2 wheel steer is just a forktruck and it cant do what a crab steer can do which is choose to move in something other than arcs. 4WS give you the option to move in arcs from the front, arcs from the back and linear lines from and into any direction.  

in a tight space with long stuff hanging off either side of the forks these options are critical.  buy that gradall and youll still be wanting a telehandler forever.   

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2021, 08:51:09 PM »
Thanks, Mike and Jake.  That is what I was thinking too but, Dang, stuff has gotten expensive lately.  I think what we want is a 10-20 year old Lull that is in good shape with 4000 or less hours.  We'll have to just be patient and find one that suits our wants and budget.

I will admit that every significant purchase we have made, even after much consternation, has proved to have been a good financial move and most often reduced the physical strain and increased efficiency.

I've also been halfway looking for an older lt-40 to cut apart and make extendable to run the same length blades as a 70 wide to use exclusively for slabbing wide stuff.
Caveman

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2021, 09:53:50 PM »
present prices continue to make me glad for all the money i spent in the past. 

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2021, 06:23:20 AM »
With new equipment getting harder and harder to get, used prices are going through the roof. Some of my older equipment that I bought new will bring more than I paid for it. Part of that is due to the demand and part of that is due to all the funds the gov. is handing out. Funds are becoming worthless.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2021, 10:18:51 AM »
Funds are becoming worthless.
exactly.  defective currency.  

dollar devaluing and sinking Tbill yields have caused a global dedollarization. dollars that have been out in the global savings accounts and treasuries are flying back here to be cashed out for real goods without paying a heavy exchange penalty of taking any further loss of genuine purchasing power by holding dollars for any further printing.  so yellowhammer might have shiny money but its not as shiny as say Montenegro Silver Mines LTD or Brazil Sugar Refineries Inc or the Highway Dept of Egypt who dont want one truck, one skid steer, one excavator.. they want 20.  thats why the common american is being told "we cant get it."  those are onesie twosie sales.  big fish are feeding hard in american product right now, which is superb, unloading the american dollar, which is terrible. they are getting priority. 

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2021, 10:56:46 PM »
We are going to look at a Skytrak 6042 on Monday.  It is listed for about 2x the Gradall's price but if it pushes our buttons we may bring it home.  If any of you have any experience with this machine and have suggestions on specific things to check out, let me know.  It has a Cummins and the owner assured me the machine is in good working order (its rented out this weekend)  In the photo, the left front tire looks much more worn than the rest of them.  I am unsure of the year of this one but it should be old enough not to have a tier 4 engine.
Caveman

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2021, 12:01:41 AM »
I have a 9038 c.1984  The boom on mine runs on some big Teflon like pads.  Make sure they still have some life left in them.  Extend the boom and look for wear from the bolts that hold the pads in place.  Also check the hose pulley at the base of the boom - make sure the hoses track correctly.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
JLG Telehandler

Started by Peter Drouin on General Board

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2017, 09:36:49 PM
by Peter Drouin
xx
telehandler instead of crane

Started by Alexis on Timber Framing/Log construction

11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 08:29:30 AM
by Thehardway