The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 335 times)

Offline NE Woodburner

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« on: October 27, 2021, 02:30:05 PM »
Hello, I'm new here but have been lurking for a while. I have learned a lot so thought I should join in case there is something I can share to give back at some point.

I'm in the northeast and own about 25 acres of forest and manage another 30 acres of family owned land a few miles away. I have worked with a forester on both lots and have recently sold some logs as well as cutting my own firewood for 30+ years.

I am a few years from retirement and thinking of purchasing a BSM as a hobby and maybe a small source of additional income. I recognize that now is not a good time, but hoping things settle down in a year or two. I'd like to buy a good used mill if I can find one to get a bit more bang for my buck.

I am also considering a new wood boiler to heat my house and garage/shop. I had an indoor boiler for years but looking to keep the mess outside now. I'm thinking of a Garn, but they are pricey. I'd like something with hot water storage and decent efficiency. I like cutting firewood and have plenty of it. One thought is to buy the mill and cut lumber for the Garn building and a bigger woodshed. I'd like to hear from anyone who has first hand Garn knowledge or suggestions for a similar alternative.

Thanks...

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 04:14:10 PM »
welcome, and I think you are wise to wait, and not pay extra to wait for a year for a mill.  i also think in a few years, that some of the trigger happy buyers, may have remorse, and be selling barely used mill, in a flooded used market.  I heat with wood, and have NG boiler in the house, but not a wood fired boiler.  
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 08:02:09 PM »
Welcome aboard NE Woodburner

D

Online Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 09:05:06 PM »
Welcome ,sit and tell us a story.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Iwawoodwork

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 09:12:08 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, You will find many articles here on the forum written by members who started out very similar to what your plans are.  The forum members have a huge variety of experiences and knowledge and always willing to offer information. 

Offline trimguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 09:32:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum! 

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 07:50:24 AM »
Yes welcome to the forum.
Must have a tractor to get the wood out?
I have a Heatmor, nothing like a Garn. But just want to throw out one thing. I have put cords of dead wood into my Heatmor and I mean cords. Been a steady diet of dead wood for more than 10 years. I burned hardwood the first year and than experimented with some dead wood mixed in and than steady on the dead wood. I have no idea if that would work for you or not.
I am clearing off a piece off land to see the field better coming up the road and that has hardwood on it. So I am burning that now.
Yes them things are pricy now.  :o   ::)
You're going to need something to turn the log and cants. Check out Logrite on the left. Nice people, made in the USA.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline NE Woodburner

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 08:47:13 AM »
Thanks for the replies and kind welcome.

Yes, @thecfarm I do have a tractor to get my wood out. I have a 45 Hp tractor with Norse winch and front grapple. I also have a home made hydraulic wood splitter. I plan to add a log lift to the splitter since I have some large maples and oaks that need to be thinned and not good for logs/lumber.

When cutting firewood I fell trees in the woods, cut off the small brush (leaving the brush in the woods) and winch the log(s) in and haul to the landing. I then pick up the log with the grapple, mark 18" cuts with a Mingo firewood marker, and can cut it up without bending over and cutting on the ground. I then split and stack on pallets right off the splitter. I've found this to be much faster and my saw chain stays sharp a lot longer cutting up off the ground. Over the years I've tried to add equipment and attachments to help streamline my firewood process and try new methods to gain efficiency. Next step for me is to fabricate some wood racks that I can fill right off the splitter and move with forks on the tractor into a larger wood shed.

I don't have an urgent need for a bandsaw mill, so that can wait until the time is right, but I do plan to upgrade to some sort of wood boiler in the next year or two to absorb the cost before I retire.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 08:59:36 AM »
Welcome NE W!  This is a great place to learn tree/lumber related stuff. You can spend a good deal of time reading and searching a topic.  
Good luck on your retirement road!

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 02:17:12 PM »
Welcome NE Woodburner. Can't talk mills with you never owned one. I do own a Garn 2000 that I installed in 2009. Wish I would have never bought it. I had a dealer on another forum that was high on them and they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. He talked me into one. Mine was nine years old when the welds failed around the air collar. Spent a bunch of money on it then to get it repaired. It went down again last winter with more welds failing in a different area. More money spent on repairs and loss of use and had to buy $2.50 a gallon propane to get buy to spring. Problem is every time you have a leak you lose $600.00 dollars of chemicals . I wish I would have bought the Switzer's closed system boiler instead of the Garn. Garn has been no help with either of these leaks. I will probably never come out on the thirty grand I have in my Garn system when I installed it. I do run mine year around and heat my domestic with it in the off heating system. I know I would never own a OWB as I don't want to be outside loading it when its twenty below and blowing snow.    

Offline NE Woodburner

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 03:25:07 PM »
@hedgerow thank you for the feedback on the Garn. I burned with an indoor wood boiler in my basement for ~20 years to heat the house and domestic hot water before I had issues with the boiler and chimney. I burned almost no heating oil when I was using the indoor wood boiler and overall was very satisfied with it. Downside was all the handling to get wood in the basement (no walkout basement) plus I have a woodworking shop in my basement and the wood storage and handling conflicted with the woodworking process.

I really liked the idea of a Garn-type boiler in a building near my house to keep the mess away from the house yet still feed the boiler in an enclosed space out of the elements. I know of some local typical outdoor wood boiler installations and the smoke from them is terrible at times.

Another curve ball for me is that I recently read that Garn and a lot of other wood boilers currently can't be sold for residential use with the new EPA step 2 rules until they complete additional testing, so the amount of available units is down.

If anyone has good suggestions for an efficient unit that can be installed in an outbuilding, preferably with some hot water storage capability, I would be most appreciative.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Howdy, new member here, old AS member with questions

Started by Hillbilly Rick on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post November 06, 2013, 03:04:03 PM
by Hillbilly Rick
xx
member, full member???

Started by Dave_Fullmer on General Board

12 Replies
Last post November 27, 2003, 10:26:18 AM
by etat