iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

European Wood-Mizers.

Started by Dave Shepard, January 11, 2022, 08:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

They sure have a lot more bed options for supporting logs, including Heavy Duty beds for the LT20 and LT70. I find the swinging sections to be a pain. Would like to have two solid sections in the same area and ditch the swingers. There is also a huge lack of support and backstops between the mill and the BX24. Logs like I'll have to mature my own version. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Crossroads

While in Liberia I saw a couple euro Woodmizer mills. One of them had powered roller toe boards which I thought would be handy in certain situations. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Stephen1

Quote from: Crossroads on January 11, 2022, 09:21:55 PM
While in Liberia I saw a couple euro Woodmizer mills. One of them had powered roller toe boards which I thought would be handy in certain situations.
I believe the powered roller toe boards are here now. North America
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bruno of NH

I think Woodmizer design team in the US has become stagnant. 
The European designed mills have many more modern thought out stuff.
The mill Tec in Europe with other companies as well are far more advanced.
It's the same old American thinking if it ain't broke don't fix it.
We used to lead now we follow behind.
I worrie about this type of thinking. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fluidpowerpro

Check out this mill from Europe. I know, probably not a valid comparison, but still cool...

WRAVOR Horizontal band SAWMILL WRC 1250 AC - YouTube
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

KenMac

That philosophy doesn't just apply to WoodMizer USA. I was in commercial HVAC and European systems are much more advanced (complicated) and different refrigerants are used in most of them. Sometimes simple and sturdy are better than advanced and less dependable in my opinion. My Cook's mill isn't as glamorous as some, but it is tough as a Sherman tank. I like that.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

barbender

I typically lean towards "simple is good", but yeah some of those features the Euro versions have should be available here too. Powered bed rollers would be awesome. I've never cared for the swing out end supports, either.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

When it comes to forage (hay) production European equipment is light years ahead of us.  You can buy a rig that will rake, bale, wrap, and bunch baled hay all at the same time with one operator. The thing will fold up and go 50 MPH down roads my dually would be scary on. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

I'm not too fussed about the powered rollers and cant pincher hold downs, but extra loading arms, two-plane clamps, side supports, and more bed sections would make my life easier. I've got 45' of bed, occasionally 57'. 16' is easy. 40' is easy. 20' to 24' can be a real pain.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 12, 2022, 01:39:04 AM
I'm not too fussed about the powered rollers and cant pincher hold downs, but extra loading arms, two-plane clamps, side supports, and more bed sections would make my life easier. I've got 45' of bed, occasionally 57'. 16' is easy. 40' is easy. 20' to 24' can be a real pain.

I know just what you're talking about. After I get the Hot Rod shop done. The mill will have a lot of fab work to it.
The swing supports are the first to go.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Stephen1

Peter, would you mount the swing support permanent?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Southside

On my 70 the hitch side swinger is actually a static roller that doesn't swing, and really doesn't roll.  It's in the wrong place to do anything for the drag back so I am really not sure what the purpose of it really is.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

I also don't like the swing supports .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

Quote from: Southside on January 12, 2022, 09:35:18 AM
On my 70 the hitch side swinger is actually a static roller that doesn't swing, and really doesn't roll.  It's in the wrong place to do anything for the drag back so I am really not sure what the purpose of it really is.  
When I figure it out, I'll let you know.  Every time I look at it, I think "Man, that's a nice roller, I should be able to scavenge it for something."

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

moodnacreek

For as long as I can remember people have come home from Europe and said how backwards we are sawing wood [into lumber] It's the same as the bandsaw/circle saw argument.  The reality is what you can spend on machinery and the logs you have to cut. For those who have clean" telephone poles",  like red pine and such Europe or our Scragg styles and your mini bands well work.  But we have horrible big hard logs available all the time and when someone wants dunnage grade blocking or skids it cut on the on the archaic circle sawmill right after being metal detected. 

terrifictimbersllc

My front pivot roller rolls freely, but like the toe rollers, takes occasional attention- PB blaster and rolling it - to keep it that way. It keeps the front edge of stuff that's being dragged back on the bed of the sawmill from catching when it reaches the drag back table. I think being a roller helps reduce pivoting out of the way during drag back, which it would probably do more of if it were constructed like the rear pivot rail.

I do remember initially thinking that I wish it were longer for the accurate cutting of longest beam material like on my older 40super. On the 70 I do have the additional fixed table support, but that is harder to keep in perfect vertical alignment.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

D6c

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 11, 2022, 10:36:04 PM
I think Woodmizer design team in the US has become stagnant.
The European designed mills have many more modern thought out stuff.
The mill Tec in Europe with other companies as well are far more advanced.
It's the same old American thinking if it ain't broke don't fix it.
We used to lead now we follow behind.
I worrie about this type of thinking.
Agree....There are things on the new mills that haven't been improved since my '87 LT40.  For example, I'm in the process of adjusting the movable blade guide arm, which is real finicky.  The arm design should have been redone 20 years ago.
Alignment adjustment should be separate from the roller adjustment.  

Southside

Covers on the 40 come to mind.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Everyone that helps at the mill asks about the band wheel cover.
I have no answer for it  :D

Bruno of NH

I'm not bashing WM
The Lt 40 wide saved my life and that's no joke.
Without this mill i would have gave up long ago.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Stephen1 on January 12, 2022, 09:30:46 AM
Peter, would you mount the swing support permanent?

Not sure, I think new steel longer than the support and fix. 
More 3/4" x 1" steel stops. Only 2 now on a WM. A bunch of stuff. The Hot Rod shop WILL be very well tooled.
 Days are getting longer.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

smiley_biggrin01 usflag
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

barbender

I don't want to have it sound like I'm bashing WM. I go out to run my ol 97 LT40 Super and I'm always happy with the machine. Part of the reason it hasn't changed much over the years is that it is an excellent design. The things that I don't like are really only annoyances (I agree about those blade covers). But there is definitely a different mindset with Euro equipment. Not just sawmills-Look at forestry equipment. Or firewood processors. North American equipment tends to use brute force and thick metal. I would say that Euro equipment is much more ergonomic and designed around the operator, instead of designing a machine and then plunking an operator on top of it. Just my observations.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

There is nothing bashing about operators with thousands of hours pointing out things that can be improved upon.  It's how equipment gets better.  Now if everyone was saying "I am getting rid of this piece of junk because....." then that would be bashing. 

It's really easy for anyone to get "barn blind", and manufacturers are no different.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

We all have different ideas and how we use equipment.
 I betcha another whole new thread could be started on, what did you buy and then have to redesign it?   ;D
I know there have been a few things I had to "fix".  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

It seems like these are the types of things woodmizer would be happy to hear. My experience with them has always been very pleasant and the people seem open minded. Constructive criticism most generally leads to good things in my opinion. If nothing else what isn't understood usually gets explained. 

Thank You Sponsors!