iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine shaft size question

Started by cowhead5065, January 21, 2022, 07:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowhead5065

Picked up a free 25 hp Kohler, horizontal shaft today. Blown head gasket, parts on order to fix it. It has an 1 7/16" shaft. Smallest pulley I can find for it is about 6.5". If I go that route I will need about a 20" driven pulley. Do they make a step down adapter to go from 1 7/16 to 1"?  I may see if my current pulley can be machined to accommodate, but looking for information. 
Thanks

Brian_Rhoad

Surplus center has pulleys and bushing to fit.

Surplus Center

sawguy21

I doubt if the pulley can be punched out that much without compromising strength. An alternative might be finding a crankshaft with a 1 1/8" bore and suitable pulley. Better yet fix your engine and trade it for something more suitable..
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

Just install a jack shaft.  You want the big drive shaft for the strength.  It was probably designed to match the 25hp output.  With a jack shaft, you can dial in the exact blade speed you want.

FWIW, on my B&S 18hp, I think the clutch pulley is 6" and I went with a 14" driven pulley attached to the 20" band wheel.  I got a tach I'm going to attach to the idle side shaft to get an accurate blade speed.  I was shooting for mid to upper 4k range.  What is the rpm on your Kohler?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bluejay27

When I upgraded my motor, I reused the pulley by changing bushing sizes. The 1-7/16 just barely fit, not much steel to it, but no issues in 1600 hours. I just had to clean up a burr from the original bushing so it would seat fully.

The pulley took an 1-7/16 H bushing. If you need to order a new pulley, the part number is something like 2BK40H, just change the last 2 digits. That's a 2 groove, B belt, H indicates it takes a bushing. And the 40 would indicate 4.0" outside diameter. That is more than the pitch diameter (check the pulley specs), which is where the belt effectively rides at (important for getting the pulley ratio correct).

And it's a standard spec across manufacturers, so not hard to find.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

luap

Pay attention to the key size also. our shop almost never bought pre bored pulleys or sprockets unless they were taper lock or woods bushings but we did a few of those also. One of the few things I bought for my retirement was a set of key broaches to be able to put keyways in small pulleys or sprockets. For what you need should be available from an industrial supply like motion Industries, mSC or as mentioned surplus center.

moodnacreek

I also suggest Surplus, look at H bushing, a/b pullies.

Thank You Sponsors!