MS 250 Stihl 2 yr old. -I gooked up the carburetor-

Started by Daulton Ruff, June 27, 2022, 01:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daulton Ruff

I have my chainsaw disassembled and the carburetor out and was going to put the new carb I ordered in but there is an extra port. I assume that means I have the wrong carb. After reading a whole lot of unhappy reviews from people who bought Amazon carburetors I became very cautious. I tried my best to get the right one, but failed. It looks like all the rebuild gaskets will work if I need them and I do need a new filter, so not too much is wasted. The reason I have a problem, is that I used the saw with a broken filter and it sucked a whole lot of tree into the carb.

So plan B is to disassemble and clean the old carb which should be fine, and go cut up the mess of fallen limbs out there in the yard.

So I guess the moral of the story is just go get an OEM part, and don't mess with the Amazon junk.

Now that I've written this I have the courage to go take the carb apart and hope I have the right fluids to clean it. This is the first carb I've ever tried to work on. 

I would have attached photos but I can't figure out how to. Must not be allowed for some reason.

shadowmill

I use Jacks small engines for parts and have never had to return anything.

Tom King

Take the cover off that has one screw in the middle (or at least the one on the infeed side-I don't know that carb), and clean out under that.  It's quite possible the screens inside there caught everything and that's all you need to do.

Daulton Ruff

Thank you for that. I'm about to go use the compressor to blow the outside off, then I will open it up and check our how much dirt I find.

So, it's been a couple of ugly days and I've finally taken the carburetor out, blown all the stuff off of the outside, and removed the two caps and cleaned the diaphragms of some debris that was there. Took the needle out and sprayed carburetor cleaner, into and through all the ports, checked the screens, the filter in the tank, as well as cleaning the air port for the gas tank. Then I managed to put the whole thing back together. Remarkable for me. 

I cranked it on full choke and it ran at full throttle for two seconds. I clicked the choke lever up one and cranked again and I got another two seconds before it quit.

So I'm exactly where I was before. The "Idonno" stage.

So I have two choices; 1. buy a $40 new carburetor and hope I have no other problem. #2 take it to my local chainsaw mechanic and that will cost at least a hundred and probably take a week or two to get it back. 
Think I will take it in tomorrow and go drive my tractor. So far I haven't seen any youtube videos that explain exactly what I've experienced, which should be a simple thing.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tacks Y

Careful you do not blow the screen out with the air. It will push back in, carb cleaner works good also.

Real1shepherd

You can buy a cheap USC from Harbor Freight and clean your carb that way. Places like NAPA have those gallon containers of carb cleaner with a dip tray that you soak your carb in for about an hr. I use the same stuff inside the USC with the heater turned on.

Remove anything you can from the carb including all screens and Welsh plugs. A 'full' carb rebuild kit should have all the parts you need to replace. If you're not familiar with small engine carbs, take pics as you disassemble....about the only agreeable thing cell phones do.

Kevin

Daulton Ruff

Thank you Kevan for your reply. 
This is the first carburetor I've ever tried to take apart and put back together. I did it, and used good carburetor cleaner, spray and didn't soak it, nor did I buy the right kit to rebuild it with. It's a rather new saw. 
I think this one is just finicky as I have a Stihl Blower and a wicked weed eater that I have no, or rare problems with. 

Given the anxiety it causes me because I'm not sure if I'm going to get the problem solved, I think I'm just going to take it in. I have some work to do with the tractor before I get in trouble with the county fire district so I'll just have to pay whatever it is going to cost.