iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bearing preload

Started by Firewoodjoe, July 22, 2022, 09:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Has anyone dealt with a bearing like this? They call it a plain spherical thrust bearing. But it's not really spherical I don't think. It's basically a tapered bearing with no rollers. Steel on steel. I can't find any info online of how to set preload on this. It currently has one shim. Well who knows if that's right🤷‍♂️

beenthere

Does it run in an oil bath? One part doesn't spin inside the other, does it? 

Thrust Spherical Plain Bearings - Spherical

From your pic, cannot tell just where it fits.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

Joe I saw this yesterday when you posted it and thought "Dang! I have done a lot of bearing replacements, never saw one of those!" Now I also looked at it and thought 'That has to be spherical, really weird!'
 If that surface is curved (radius in two planes) and not an angled straight line, it is spherical, which is how the photo appears. These are made to handle mis-aligments or applications where the alignment will change as the machine operates. I used to replace spherical roller bearings in pairs, with 2 sets of rollers in each, that were about 8' diameter (OD) in basin tumblers that had a heck of an orbital load on them.  (they weren't very cheap either. ;D)
 But as I said, I have never seen this. In your application, how fast is that shaft turning anyway? This looks like it is not used for high speed or even full time rotation. Spherical's are used for alignment issues. With a steel on steel bearing surface I just can't see very much of a preload. You don't have to be a physicist to think that through. Any feedback from the manufacturer?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Gearbox

The 610 Bobcat used a bearing like that as a self aligner for the steering clutch thrust bearing 
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Firewoodjoe

Yes it's runs in oil. No it doesn't spin. Both would be pressed on to two separate parts. It only moves a few degrees as you drive over a stump or uneven ground. Its the bearing that lets the bogie/tandem axle pivot. Only wears on one side. So yes it is spherical then. It's a rounded surface where it makes contact. I just think of spherical as a round piece not half round lol 

Wlmedley

I'm just making an educated guess but if it was mine I'd shoot for little to no preload and no play.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

barbender

Are you positive they are both steel? Ponsses, which use component bogie axles (NAF etc) have a bronze bearing I think. As far as preload, I have no clue. 
Too many irons in the fire

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on July 22, 2022, 09:47:00 PM
Yes it's runs in oil. No it doesn't spin. Both would be pressed on to two separate parts. It only moves a few degrees as you drive over a stump or uneven ground. Its the bearing that lets the bogie/tandem axle pivot. Only wears on one side. So yes it is spherical then. It's a rounded surface where it makes contact. I just think of spherical as a round piece not half round lol
Yes,, this makes sense now. I would say: No preload, but no slop either as wimedly said. This is basically an alignment pivot point. Not sure how you can make that happen if you have a press on two different elements. Grease the dickens out of it. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Dom

We sold lots of those for Rottne bogies (NAF). 
I am no mechanic so I don't know the bearing preload. Snowstorm may have experience with it.

For what it's worth, they are steel. The manufacturer was in Eastern Europe. I contacted them 20 years ago after searching the number on the bearings. Opted to continue buying through oem. 

leeroyjd

Firewoodjoe

Thanks @leeyroyjd !! That will help for sure. And thanks to everyone else. I'd guess very little preload also. But what about the initial wear? Not like you can just reset it anytime. Prolly why they don't use these anymore. 

Dom

Leeroyjd, the man that saved the day!

Firewoodjoe

Oh yeah. He just pm more to
me. Basically I needed the .05-.2mm of play and was wondering on how to seat these bearing half's. As they have a o ring inside. Well the info he sent also says heat to max 80c and seat the bearings with the o ring installed. 🤷‍♂️ Good enough 🙏 THANK YOU! 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Dom on July 23, 2022, 05:36:15 AM
We sold lots of those for Rottne bogies (NAF).
I am no mechanic so I don't know the bearing preload. Snowstorm may have experience with it.

For what it's worth, they are steel. The manufacturer was in Eastern Europe. I contacted them 20 years ago after searching the number on the bearings. Opted to continue buying through oem.
I'm waiting to hear from a company in England. I've had good luck with them in the past. Way cheaper if they come through. Dealer told me three days. Well that guy went on vacation so I'm waiting again. Also they aren't cheap. Fingers crossed for the guys across the pond.  

Dom

This company in Sweden may be worth a try. We bought lots of  components from them:
https://www.alftaprodukter.se/

Those bearings were expensive. NAF has good control on their parts.

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Dom on July 23, 2022, 10:37:31 AM
This company in Sweden may be worth a try. We bought lots of  components from them:
https://www.alftaprodukter.se/

Those bearings were expensive. NAF has good control on their parts.
How the heck can you read that website lol

Dom

Google Chrome translates for me. I think the phone number is +46271754110. :D
Hopefully still open, Sweden pretty much closes for business for a few weeks every summer.

Thank You Sponsors!