iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arrowheads

Started by firefighter ontheside, August 01, 2022, 08:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Last year while on a hike in Branson MO I happened to see an arrowhead lying on the trail where it crossed a creek.  This year we decided to go to a nearby creek where we had found lots of fossiles before.  I told the family to also be on the lookout for arrowheads.  We walked about 500 yards down the dry creek and hadnt found any arrowheads.  Sean is next to me and says, I can't believe we haven't found any arrowheads.  I told him we wouldn't likely find any.  20 seconds later I found this.  I would assume its from the Osage native Americans who lived here as late as the 1700s.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Further research tells me that this is an Angostura type of point and that they were prevalent 8000 to 10000 years ago.  That predates the Osage.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

That is what I was going to say.  Your point significantly pre-dates the historic Osage Tribe. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Amazing that it's been bouncing around for thousands of years.  It's not sharp any more, but still very intact and recognizable.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Most people don't know that there were millions of Native Americans in North America before the time of Columbus.  The Europeans came with their diseases and over 90% of Native Americans died within one generation.  So, the amount of artifacts out there from their long history is staggering.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

Remember - When the Europeans came to America they found a society where the men hunted and fished all day and the women did all the rest of the work. And they changed it! What were they thinking? ::) :D :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

Good point Howard.  They messed it up in more ways than one.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

I collected arrow heads on the first and second bench of the Meramec at St. Clair.  My granddad would plow and I would walk behind and pick up the findings.  My best was a perfect 1/2" long bird point, sharp as ever.  there were several areas on the second bench where we found circles of chips, broken points and occasional whole points.  Had a good collection till I went to the service and a nephew found them.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Southside

We have two decent sized creeks and multiple spring heads on our farm that run year round. One day years back an older neighbor came by to introduce himself and told us that there were many "Indian heads" on our farm as the springs had historical activity and camps around them. "Oh yeah, you will plow them up he says". I knew he meant arrowheads but my wife was standing there white as a ghost thinking we were about to go full Poltergeist and skeletons would be popping up behind the tractor.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

In my younger days I was an avid artifact hunter.  I have many, well over a thousand.  Many are broken, some from legitimate use and some by modern day equipment.  I have about 500 unbroken ones.  I consider them a treasure.

Magicman

I don't have 500 but I do have a nice collection most of which were found on my property.  None of it is in cultivation now so the "finding" is in the past.  There is a knoll that we refer to as the Indian Mound. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

That's amazing guys.  My dad and grandparents used to find them regularly on our property too, especially back in the days when they used to farm a couple acres.  Dad used to follow behind grandpa on the tractor and find them as the ground got turned up.  Dad used to have something like Magicman's tub, but I think my cousin ended up with all of them when my grandma died.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Where did that Avid tribe call home WDH?  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Originally in Maine, but I believe that their descendants moved to Virginia sometimes in the 20th or early 21st century.  

Thank You Sponsors!