iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! Tractor will not hit at all

Started by livemusic, September 24, 2022, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

Mahindra 5010 50hp diesel tractor, not that the model likely matters, but it won't turn over at all. When I turn the key, the glow plugs activate like normal and the battery tests 12.5v. Has been running fine for months and one morning, nothing when I then advance the key to turn the motor over. I don't know where to start. I first thought I'd just try to jump it with a screwdriver across the solenoid posts but that can certainly be dangerous. Surely you'd know if it's in neutral but I had an elderly friend killed that way. I guess it was in gear.

So, I am no mechanic much but I'm thinking... solenoid, starter, safety switch on clutch, PTO, seat. Any tips on how to diagnose this?

FEL on front, bushhog on back. I have been using it to bushhog.
~~~
Bill

btulloh

Safety switches are always prime candidates. Especially the one on the clutch. Actuator can go out of adjustment. Ignition switch can go bad. See if power goes to solenoid in start position. Work back from there. You can also use a piece of wire and jump from battery post to solenoid terminal terminal that comes from the starter switch. 

Safety switches are good candidates but can be tricky to trace down.
HM126

charles mann

Start at the switch and ensure there is voltage when in the crank position. Move to the starter and check voltage at the signal wire from switch to starter. As for safety switches like a seat or clutch or gear safety, you can jumper the connector at the switch, taking it out of the loop and tricking sys into thinking the switch is closed. Where those switches are, i have no idea. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

beenthere

livemusic
Have the battery load tested, and also remove and clean all battery cable connections (both ends). One of the two is likely your problem.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Check first to make sure that you did not leave the PTO engaged the last time that you drove it.  

Tractors can have both clutch and PTO safety switches.  My friends JD even has a "park" position on the manual shifter and it won't start outside of park.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mudfarmer

Brush hogging? Doesn't do anything at all when you turn the key? Check the safety switches... Got into some buckthorn one time and somehow a piece ended up taking out my neutral safety switch on the kubota.

goose63

I have a Mahindra if the p t o is in gear it wont turn over
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

livemusic

I always shut off the PTO when I stop for the day but I will check that. Many good suggestions, the most obvious being to check the battery connections! I have had that be the culprit on vehicles before, something that simple. I forgot to check it the other day when I left, was in a hurry. Duh, might be it!
~~~
Bill

Resonator

Safety switches would be my thought. I've had dirt under the "Treadle Pedal" forward-reverse on my Kubota and cause it to not turn over before. The seat has a switch under it too. Ran a friends New Holland a while back, it had more alarms and safety switches than I could count. ::)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

firefighter ontheside

I had all kinds of trouble with my tractor last winter and this spring.  Sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldnt.  My dad said negative cable and I disregarded it.  After all kinds of hours trying to jump it and charge the battery, I said OK dad, i'll replace the negative cable and find a new place to ground it to on the frame.  Haven't had a problem since.  I then apologized to my dad for ignoring his suggestion.  He even had a negative cable hanging in his garage.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

I don't usually drove through brush with my tractor.
But needing some dirt to put around the garden to slope it off, I drove over some small fir, maybe 3 feet tall. I put down the bucket and back dragged. Made a pile to pick up. All was fine.
Until the next morning.  :o
Nothing, not a thing. Lights worked and that was it. I rattled the gear shift and checked the PTO and jumped up and down on the seat about 10 times.  :D 
Not a thing.
So under the tractor I go. I had no idea what to look for. But in no time, there it was, a wire was pulled out of the safety switch for something. I just stuck it in, and it fired right up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

That one has caught me in the truck in the middle of nowhere before. A stick had snatched the neutral safety connector off the tranny.

I check from the starter and go back to the keyswitch. Make sure everything is in neutral and controls are down. Screwdriver jump the starter, will it spin. Then check for voltage on the solenoid tickler wire. If the starter spns and the solenoid is getting tickled then it has gone bad. If no tickle check for voltage at the keyswitch on that line when in crank position. If it is dead there the switch is bad. If there is voltage at the top of that wire but not at the solenoid there is a switch in the line open somewhere.

But its almost always a loose connection or bad ground. Take every connection apart, clean and tighten everything back down. The case of things like the starter and solenoid is the ground "wire", brighten up their seats before bolting them back down. Vibration and moisture are the usual culprits.

kantuckid

Me thinks Corley5 named the by far most common, first step, ailment of a dead tractor as the frame ground is steel and gets corroded. other than something real simple like the PTO switch named being on. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

aigheadish

Can someone explain the screwdriver to the starter trick? I was attempting to diagnose some trouble on my old car when my neighbor came over and pulled that trick. I didn't quite understand what he was doing and apparently it's a more common practice than I realized.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

terrifictimbersllc

One large lug on the solenoid has  battery positive connected to it, the other has the output to the starter motor. When the solenoid is working properly, positive input to the small lug energizes the magnet inside to connect the two large lugs internally.  Using a screwdriver across the two large lugs connects these externally providing  a direct path from battery to starter.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

livemusic

Quote from: aigheadish on September 26, 2022, 10:45:43 AM
Can someone explain the screwdriver to the starter trick? I was attempting to diagnose some trouble on my old car when my neighbor came over and pulled that trick. I didn't quite understand what he was doing and apparently it's a more common practice than I realized.
One reason you might do this is because if the solenoid has gone bad and the motor won't turn over due to no connection, using the screwdriver on the solenoid lugs creates a connection, firing the starter. I used this trick on my lawnmower recently. Did the screwdriver trick a few days until I got a solenoid in and then replaced it and all is normal now. If you ever do this, just make sure your transmission is in neutral and you are nowhere that you can be run over. I think it's best to just do it as a temporary solution. One reason is that using the screwdriver can create a 'weld' due to the electric current surge and it can mess up your connections. A proper connection is best!

Those more knowledgeable than me can give better advice.
~~~
Bill

barbender

And I don't care how many times you jump a solenoid or how prepared you think you are, it will scare you every time when you make the connection😂
Too many irons in the fire

firefighter ontheside

When my tractor wouldn't start I tried to use a screwdriver at the starter and it wouldn't work.  It would spark a little, but wouldn't turn over.  It was actually one of the clues that told me the negative battery cable may have been the problem.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Be aware, that will make a machine start in gear, and if it has enough throttle it will run off or over you.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, I made sure the shuttle shifter was in neutral and the gear shifter was in neutral.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Andries

Quote from: barbender on September 26, 2022, 11:38:07 AMAnd I don't care how many times you jump a solenoid or how prepared you think you are, it will scare you every time when you make the connection😂
Agreed! . . and don't use a nice favorite Proto long reach tune-up screwdriver. Jumping the solenoid is aka "spot welding"  🤦‍♂️  Dig around for your bent up old toad stabber screwy driver, that'll do the trick.
There are quick an'dirty bush fixes, and then there are proper shop fixes.
Jumping the solenoid is a bush fix that'll carry you to the shop fix.
😁
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

aigheadish

Is that also a situation where you shouldn't be touching the metal of the screwdriver? You gonna get a shock through it? 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Resonator

I don't use a screwdriver. Mechanic showed me years ago to use a short piece of heavy copper wire (solid wire not thin braided), bent into a horseshoe, and held with an insulated handle pliers.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!