iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making something too... computer desk - literally

Started by Ianab, April 19, 2006, 09:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Been busy in the shed lately.

The initial concept.

Followed by a bit of precision woodworking.  ;)

Then on to some serious constructing. Had to sorta build down from the top with the whole think on it's head. Confused myself a few times as I was designing as I built.  ::) The CD drive is sitting there while I try and figure out where the heck to actually mount it. :D

This cradle holds the computer bits together inside the desk. It can be removed easily for repair / upgrade of the computer.

The desk frame that holds the PC cradle and desktop together.

With the cradle in place in the frame.

And with the desktop sitting in place.

Back panel has the normal computer connectors for screen, keyboard, mouse, USB and network.

Now it's been hauled into the spare room for finishing. Sheet of glass even fits in the cutout.

It should look about a million times better once I get some finish on the wood, but I have test run the PC and that boots. Need a few more lights to mount under the glass and a bit more wiring to complete once the timber is finished, but it's getting there.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

highpockets

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Tom

You guys amaze me.  I'de still be trying to figure out which end of the board to cut off.  :-\

beenthere

That is another work of art. Now, the glass pane is for watching for any arcing on the mother board at night?  ::) ???

Or what?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Nice work , Nice wood  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)   what kind is it .??
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LIL

Ians outside setting up the mill and back and forth between the shed doing something equally as great as his last desk.  Even the roofer at the neighbours place is impressed with the mill.  Anyways back to the question
QuoteNice work , Nice wood         what kind is it .??
judging from the smell I would say Macrocarpa - Ian will correct me if Im wrong im sure.  Anyways off to explore what hes up to now.

LIL
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

Ianab

Lil does know more about wood than she lets on  ;)
It is macrocarpa (Monterrey) cypress.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Ianab

Quote from: beenthere on April 19, 2006, 10:31:22 PM
That is another work of art. Now, the glass pane is for watching for any arcing on the mother board at night?  ::) ???

Or what?

Inside of the case is lit up with glow-in-the-dark fans and I'm building some banks of coloured LEDs to illuminate the works under the glass  ;)

Jeff

Awesome! I think you need to add a holographic monitor now.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Danny_S

Now just cut out all the holes for all the keys in a keyboard in the front table part and insert the keyboard in it...  ;) ... Hey!! I bet you can't build a wooden mouse......  ???

That is really nice work and a neat way to integrate the computer.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

DoubleD

Ianab that is a really artwork congratulation I am quite impressed
Wannabe a sawmiller

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Tom on April 19, 2006, 10:05:04 PM
You guys amaze me.  I'de still be trying to figure out which end of the board to cut off.  :-\

Tom, Tom, Tom,
Quit fretting about which end to cut off.  You cut off both ends.  Iffn it is too short, you cut off both ends again until it's just right.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Ianab

It Lives  8)

Finally got the beast to the stage where it boots and looks sorta complete.
A bit of wiring / lights to finish yet, and attach the keyboard shelf... just those little pesky finishing touches.

Cheers

Ian

Snag

Nice job.  Any pics of it lit up in the dark?  :)

Ianab

Haven't got all the lights installed yet, but the main cooling fan is a fancy coloured one, so that giive you an idea of how it's going to look  ;)

Ian

tnlogger

now thats what I call a fine looking desk  8)
Ian what are you using for vents? or is the mother board in a cut down case set under the table.
gene

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ianab

QuoteIan what are you using for vents? or is the mother board in a cut down case set under the table.

The computer parts sit in a wooden cradle under the desktop. This has inlet vents near the middle, near the CPU and exhaust fans at each end that blow out the end of the enclosure and vent under the desk. I ran it for a couple of hours last night and the CPU and glass where still nice and cool, so I think I've got the airflow right.  :)

Hopefully you can see how it goes together from the construction pics up above.

Cheers

Ian

joelmar10

I very nice blend of high and low tech with the natural edging and all.  Never thought I'd see a computer case made of wood, let alone a computer desk not made with mdf !!!  smiley_clapping well done Ian.
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

Quartlow

WOW,,, that is just asolutely cool Ian!!!
You need to submit this to some case mod sites.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Stephen1

gotta like that, very nive work. Kinda makes me think what I could build.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

UNCLEBUCK

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

dundee

Well done Ian---Gentlemen, that's called "KIWI ingenuity

Richard

Ianab

QuoteGentlemen, that's called "KIWI ingenuity

Just need a bit of #8 fence wire and some baler twine and it will be perfect   :D

Ian

Thank You Sponsors!