iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

High climber takedown, WOW

Started by Ironwood, April 26, 2008, 11:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

A friend just took down this HUGE walnut, I bought the log. AMAZING talent. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Clark

Nice looking walnut.  I presume that there was a reason for taking down the tree other than showing off his amazing talents?  Amazing that someone can take a tree like that down with no damage to nearby buildings.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ironwood

Owner/ nieghbors say "too messy" Darn shame, really nice mature tree.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dodgy Loner

I don't care how much walnut is worth, a tree like that is worth more alive than it is dead, IMHO.  At least it will live a second life that is less ephemeral than firewood :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ironwood

I could not agree more. This guys property took a "hit" in value when he removed this (and a large buckeye) tree.  Well, I am just glad I got the call.

Ironwood

rebocardo

At least in this area large trees next to a house, especially pines, can be a liability when selling a house.

Dodgy Loner

In Athens a few years ago, a tree removal service accidentally took down about 10 pines from the wrong yard.  The homeowner sued, and in court the city's urban forester appraised the trees at $50,000.  This, of course, takes into account the shade and aesthetics the trees provided, and was not related to their lumber value (don't we wish ;D).  I don't recall how the case turned out, but if I find an article, I'll post it.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Ironwood

OUCH!!.

I did have one of my tree guys accidentally the wrong tree is a guys yard  :o Luckily no courts involved AND not my job. He was here today cleaning my tree lines for firewood, I was VERY clear which ones get cut (orange marking paint) :D

Ironwood

LeeB

In Austin Texas you must get permission from the city to remove anything over 6" diameter.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Lanier_Lurker

I got one word for that property owner.

Ree Tard.... smiley_dizzy

Dodgy Loner

Hey at least you don't live in Boston.  Here's a link to their tree removal procedures:

http://www.cityofboston.gov/parks/streettrees/hearing_notice.asp

The main highlight: If you choose to remove a tree, you must pay $250 per inch of diameter to do so :o.  I'd be about $7500 in the hole for the three trees I removed from my yard last month.  Two were growing into the power lines, the other was crowding my beloved white pine, so all of them had to come down sooner or later.  I guess logic doesn't apply in some cities ::).

Ironwood

WOW, that is amazing, thanks for the link, Just another fine instance of TOO much government in our lives. Again WOW.

Liv'in free and easy, in Western Pa (well maybe not free) Ironwood

TexasTimbers

I have a humungous tangle of sycamores and one bodark that I could use a guy like that on. I have been wanting to get biggest sycamore out of there for nearly 2 years but just know it would kill me trying to fall any of the trees growing out of this conglomeration.

The tops are all grown together, and the 3 sycs and one bodark appear to be growing out of the same rootball system which covers nearly 9' feet in diameter on the ground. Visible! I know that probably cant happen, that a bodark and sycamore root ball can actually fuse together solidly but they appear to be from the topside view. The sycamores defiantely are grown together solid.

Has anyone ever dozed up, or been behind a dozer where anything like this was pushed up successfully? The landowner is my neighbor and has been planning to doze all this up for a couple years, and is still going to for more pasture, and has bought a dozer. I know he will push it down for me but i don't want to lose these trees if the dozer will wreck the rootball and sawlogs. My fear is that even if i dig around them well, the crotchtes will fail and split apart once the whole mess starts going over.

Maybe dig out around them first to the point where i could hope for an easy pushdown without stressing them severely. Then if that all went well, how would I manage the drying of something that huge? I have never messed with rootballs but have seen some awesome wood from them online.

The biggest sycamore is betwen 4' and 5' DBH - it's hard to get an accurate measure though because the rootball is so pronounced and slippery I can't get any purchase to stand on it and gauge the tape accurately. 
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Roxie

Ironwood, great pictures!  It gives me the willy's just to see how high up that guy is cutting. 
Say when

Ironwood

Texas,

Heavy equipment nearly always tears up the tree.

Ironwood

TexasTimbers

Can't wait to see you tear into those crotches.

Frickman

If you read that Boston website closely, you'll see that it is referring to "public trees", the trees growing out by the street. If you have a tree growing in the back or side yard it probably doesn't apply. Most towns in my area have some sort of similar process for their public trees, although maybe not as expensive and bureaucratic. And most towns of any size have some sort of street tree commission, usually composed of volunteers who help oversee publicly owned trees.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ironwood

Frickman,

Good point, in Greensburg Pa. any tree 20' from the centerline of the road takes a special permit, you could call those "public trees" because they are within the city's right of way. In my opinion they still belong to the property owner, although I am a tree hugger at heart, it is still private property that the city happens to have a street on.  I understand why this is but I am a private property rights advocate at heart.

Ironwood

Ironwood

Finally got the tree home. Property owner had finally removed enough debris for me to get at it. Saturday so the street was somewhat free from parked cars. I called around and all my "helpers" where out of town or unavailable, so out I go to do it myself. After loading it, owners looks around "you do that all by yourself?" YUP  ;D, I call it "pyramid building", just simple physics and help with some wheels and winches (I need to mount a winch to the top of the arch, hand cranking is too much.

If it where not sooo close to home I WOULD NEVER GO FAR with a load like this. I hated to cut it, you just never know where it should be cut until you get'er home. I didn't realize it was 24' LONNNNNNNGGGGG.  The new Norwood  will never cut this. 31" at base 8' cicumference at breast hieght. Tires on the arch were maxed. I will be replacing them soon with "braked" 8 bolts and adding fenders. FYI, it was still tongue heavy in this configuration.

Ironwood

ironstumper

Ironwood, I'm curious....With my arch (Logrite Hugo) If I tried to travel in the position you did. I would experience alot of wobble. Especially at speed. Yet if I take the extra time to pull the load up tight to the top support it seems to stregthen the entire arch....Have you experienced that? ....Ironstumper
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

ironstumper

But at second look here it appears that yours is a solid construction across the top.Where mine came in 3 pieces and bolted together. Maybe I should weld those spots together?
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

Kevin

Quotehand cranking is too much

Have you tried using a mechanical advantage by adding pulleys?

Nice job documenting the story and taking pictures, thanks for taking the time and making the effort.

Ironwood

I ALWAYS run it up tight. I have some pulleys only redirecting the pull though corners and such. The winch is not the standard Logrite that they use, I opted for the two speed, so it is already geared down. I understand why the founder of Logrite made the choice for the one speed winch (met him in Ohio a few years ago) he said it was for durability reasons. I loan this arch to ONE guy only and he put some pain to the removeable crank. I need to modify it to be a little more durable.

I don't know what to say on the welding issue. I would assume it should be strong enough. Like I said, having spoke with the founder he REALLY thinks through those designs. Smart guy for sure, AND a great product. Tam and her hubby (is it Kevin?) made a wise choice aquiring such a great product line.

Ironwood

Kevin

One double pulley and one single pulley will reduce a 1000lb. log to 333lb. of pull with your winch.

Ironwood

Kevin,  Thanks, yeah i used to set up alot of Z drag  pulley set ups for glacier travel training and rescue. NO room here for that kind of advantage. I perfer electric ;D and weldments ::)

Ironwood

metalspinner

That's a great log!  I would have been out there myself clearing debris out of the way to get to it quick. :D  You never know what a homeowner will do to "help" you. "I thought you would want it cut into 16" long pieces." >:(... :D

Can't wait to see the lumber! ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Haul it down here and I will cut it on halves :)

That is some nice log, Reid ;D.  I anxiously await the final result.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ironwood

Thanks guys. The home owner was well paid for the log and knew not to touch it.  ;D. The day my buddy felled it I was out there end sealing it, so he knew I really take care of my inventory (wether in his yard or mine). Smart guy, easy to get along with and had done his homework, he knew I gave him a very fair price. 

I just piled it up to the other three "big" ones here, and it was the largest of the three. It should produce some really nice boards. At this point I am chasing ANY big walnuts in our region.

Ironwood

TexasTimbers

Thanks for the update. When you going to part it out? Looks too big for the Norwood, you going to sik the 394s on it. ???

Ironwood

TT,

Big bar (9'er) is enroute from California and the new carriage is about ready for just the chain milling, so I should break into this w/ the Huskies in the next month or so. Bandwheels are back from the machinists, now if I could just find and extra month for fabrication and $6000 or so for the motor I would be golden.  ::)

Ironwood

Ironwood

Here are the pics of the milled wood.

WDH

How are those crotch pieces about splitting?  Do you try and seal them?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stonebroke

What are the blue marks?

Stonebroke

Ironwood

End sealed, Yes. Splitting not really, although walnut does tend that way.

Blue marks are dimensions, I had run out of yellow chalk. Bought 200 1"x4" pieces once my supplier finally got them back in stock. Now I am out of blue ::)

WDH

It is amazing how little sapwood there is.

zopi

I've been learning how and doing some climbing work...it's darned hard work, and dangerous, but it is rewarding and alot of fun..if I wanted to do it full time I could have work backed up for weeks..as it is I have a waiting list...getting alot of freebie wood too...just scored a big cedar..gotta saw it in shares though..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

BARPINCHER

luv that 8274 Warn mounted on the bed.  NIce setup!!all around!!
Serving hunters and the hunted with science based; non-traditional resouce management methods

Ironwood

That was one of my first "questioned" aquisitions after I got married 15 years ago. She has learned to trust my judgement since.  :D, add to that a pressure washer and forklifts and on and on (the purchases get larger over time ;))

Ironwood

BARPINCHER

Ditto here too!!!!  When I bought my second one she said..You already have one on the front.  I said ya but there is none on the back!  She just shook her head and that was that.  Now she don't bother to ask cuz she already knpws I'll have the answer!!
Serving hunters and the hunted with science based; non-traditional resouce management methods

rebocardo

Thanks for the great pictures, those are beautiful boards!

re:8 lug tires

If you want them cheap, go look under a Ford van at a junkyard. You can usually get a smaller 8.50 x 16.50 tire cheap that can support a lot of weight. Sometimes the interior spares are the same size too.

Ironwood

I have a buddy who is the fleet maintenience guy for a beer dist., when he scraps a van I get the rims, then mount 16" G-Series Goodyears on them. My tire guy gets me some screaming deals on 225-215 G's cause the other folks dont like that size for capping. So, I get a fairly good trailer tires for next to nothing that have about 1/2 tread. I try to keep pretty good tires on stuff, the G's are full steel casings and dont sway ANY under extreme load.  ;)

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!