iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Local codes?

Started by JohnG28, March 25, 2010, 04:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

I was just wondering if anyone would know about city/town codes that would prohibit someone from cutting trees on their own property.  I ask because there is a stand of trees, not really a forrest, but theyre woods, that runs behind my house.  I live in a small subdivision outside Utica, NY, and the said woods are between two parallel streets, and lie between the backyards of houses.  They are pretty much the only wooded area around, as theres residential homes and businesses surrounding our subdivision.  Anyway, I had been cutting out behind my house, had large dead tree on edge of the yard that needed to go.  This morning I bumped into my neighbor, who mentioned that a town codes inspector who was checking work on his house, had inquired about the large pile of wood in my yard, as apparently someone on the next street over had called the town codes dept about someone (me) cutting in the woods. He said that there was some ordinance about nobody being able to cut anything in these woods.  I plan to check with the town, but can they really not allow someone to cut in a wooded area that lies on their property?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Tom

Yes.

In most developments, that piece of woods is dedicated to the wild to compensate for the developer having taken trees off of the land on which he built the houses. It is a part of Mitigation practice/law that was put in place to protect wildlife, plants and wetlands.  These places are usually Off Limits to humans.   The rules for their use, or non-use, are specifically community oriented and may differ from one community to another.

When you live in a housing development, gated community or other  Government-top-heavy area, it just comes with the territory now-a-days.

LeeB

Some cities also hvecutting restrictions. The city of Austin Texas requires a permit to cut any tree over 6" diameter in the city limits. They did this to keeep people from cutting all the nice big trees.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

JohnG28

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate the quick responses.  I figued that they can probably do whatever they want to.  Its unfortunate, not that I was going to go log it or anything, but there are standing dead trees that I can see from my back porch that I wanted to take down.  Im not in the market for any fines though, so Ill see what the town says.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Ron Scott

Yes, best to do that before you do any more tree cutting in your city/town area. ;)
~Ron

JohnG28

I suppose in hindsight, that probably would have been a good idea to do before I went cutting.  Guess I got a little carried away, couldnt wait to get out when weather startes breaking, oops.

Tom

Yes,  today's directions will make you learn to keep your papers in order, on your person and ask permission before you do anything.  :)

Mooseherder

My daughter just painted their house.  They had to get the colors approved with the local paint police before proceeding.  The people they pay their good money to weren't very nice either.  I did some improvements to their landscaping last year in their front yard without asking for permission.  One of the local landscaping police happens to live across the street.  He always comes outside to snoop when anyone is outside.  My SIL doesn't like this weirdo neighbor anyway.  My body language told him I don't like him either.  He left me alone. :D  It'll be a long time  before I ask for permission for such nonsense. ::)

JohnG28

Now that is just nuts, I dont know that that wouldnt put me over the edge. Luckily the tree I cut was right on the edge of my yard, dead, and hung over the shed, neighbor said the codes guy didnt have a problem with it.  Then again I could end up with a citation in my mailbox, never know with some people these days.  Ill take my lesson learned and check in the future.

Magicman

Our city is forming a "Tree Board" which I've been asked to serve on .  Looks like I'll be there for three years.

Thankfully we have no ordinances governing trees on private property.  My goal is to try and keep some logic and reasoning concerning tree planting and removal on city property and parks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

Keep your eyes open and your ears to the ground, Magicman.  These departments are usually formed, and soon turn into, a controlling body that instigates rules for private property.

Magicman

Which is why I agreed to serve.  Didn't really want to, but I was afraid of just what you said.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnG28

I hope that you do too.  As much as I can believe that in this day and age a town or city can actually tell you what you can do on your own property, it would be good to know that some people are still out for the right side here.

stonebroke

I was on the comprehensive plan reveiw committee when it was suggested that we ban clearcutting and require permits to cut trees. I shot that down real quick by pointing out there was still forestland being harvested. You have to get involved or else all the powermad newcomers will ban everything.

Stonebroke

justintimemoto

do you live in the adk park?
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

stonebroke

I live in the northern catskills west of Albany. We are becoming a bedroom community for state workers who work in Albany. And they think government knows best.

Stonebroke

DirtForester

Local ordinances.
Deed coverts/restrictions
Zoning regulations.
State basal area/slash restrictions.
Homeowner associations.

All of these can play a role in what you can or can't do on your "own" property.  Please folks, before you buy a property, research your deed, homeowner association, and the local zoning regulations.  You will save your self a lot of trouble down the road.

Also, PLEASE know where your corners and boundary lines are.
If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

Ironwood

Crazy stuff, land of the free? In some places not so. Man what's it coming too.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

metalspinner

Now, ya see, all of this busy body neighborliness would make me want to take out the chainsaw and run it each day just to pith them off. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ironwood

I used to bleach burnouts in my Mom's drive to give the neighbor his daily blood pressure surge ;D, He HATED our motorcycles. We definitely shortened his life span abit over the years. He passed a few years ago. Boy did we get his goat over the years.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

JohnG28

Metalspinner, I sure agree with ya.  This kind of stuff sure can tweek a nerve.  Worst part about it was Ive never even seen the property of the people who called, and they most certainly cant see mine, or even me for that matter.  Luckily the neighbors next door to me are pretty good people, couldnt really care less what I do.  Kind of makes you wonder though, whats the next thing a person wont be able to do on their own property? :D

twobears

twobears,turns off his computer and walks away...don,t get me started on building codes,ect..bye!!!  ::)

delbert

Thank You Sponsors!