iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harvesting in the Cemetery?

Started by Jeff, September 09, 2010, 11:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I was watching the news a couple minutes ago, and they mentioned a town down state was going to cut the trees out of their cemetery in order to raise some money.  The news caster made a remark and put a spin on it about thinking that was not right to do, and at first blush I kind of agreed, so I went looking for more information, as it turns out, the station I listened to had it wrong. They are not going in and cutting trees within the cemetery  Sounds like a good plan to me now that I've heard the actual story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iP9F0o7las&feature=player_embedded
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Our old cemeteries have large pines and red cedar cut from them.  It always makes them so bare that people don't like it even if they know it is for the safety of the living.  Old Long leaf pine gets red heart and the tree falls.  cedar just takes over everything.

Many of the old cemeteries have big live oaks. These aren't so dangerous, nor consuming.  They do disrupt graves at their base and sometimes these sites are lost.

While trees are pretty, it's probably best that cemeteries be clear.

SwampDonkey

We usually have big old white pines or sugar maple in many of ours, tree that live a very long time. There is one that has an old English white oak on the edge of it in one town. We also have a very large Japanese lilac in ours. It's huge and been there since the beginning as no one living knew when it was planted.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

It sounds like they have a good plan in place.  Watching the newscaster's face while introducing the story had me bracing for something very controversial, though. ::)

We all know what this will do to the mind set of the locals. In their mind, their messy yard tree will suddenly take the place of their diminished 401K and they will look to cash in. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ron Scott

Sounds like some good forest management before the cemetery expands onto the area. Cemetery trees need management, but it is often difficult to do properly in an active cemetery. They should have a cemetery landscaping plan made for the future area.

Awareness also needs to be given to the potential for Thousand Cankers Disease (TCD) hitting the walnut.
~Ron

Daren

Quote from: Ron Scott on September 10, 2010, 10:50:20 AM
Sounds like some good forest management before the cemetery expands onto the area.

I agree. Too bad the money is going into the "general fund"...we all know that means generally that money will be wasted.  :D

I work with all the local cemetery caretakers and get thier logs when they do expand/one dies on the property. Keller cemetery on the edge of town is pretty much ate up with walnuts on it's south border, the only way to expand. They have to remove the rootballs too, I get those also.

Something that has puzzled me for years is one from the middle of a cemetery I milled...well started to mill  ::). They were doing drainage/grade work. It had a small creek running through the middle of the cemetery they were working on. I knew the excavation contractor doing the work, had gotten many logs from him in the past. They had to remove one tree, a big old hackberry. He brought it here and wanted me to mill it for him into cribbing...THE most nail infested log I had ever had on the mill. (it was not there for long) For the life of me I could not figure out why someone(s) would go to the trouble of dragging a hammer and nails into the middle of the cemetery.   ???  But the fact is they did.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

metalspinner

How much money would a load of walnut logs make for the city?  Of course there are many variables, but generally speaking, what does a load (whatever that is) of No. 1 walnut sawlogs bring?  Aside from the good management plan for the urban forest, just how much can the city expect to gain?  It seems to me that they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel if they have to harvest urban trees for $$.

StephenRice

Quote from: Daren on September 14, 2010, 02:05:12 PM
For the life of me I could not figure out why someone(s) would go to the trouble of dragging a hammer and nails into the middle of the cemetery.   ???  But the fact is they did.

Let me ask you a simple question... Are there any deer that frequent that cemetery?  Birds love the berries, maybe deer do too?  I am thinking either a poor man's tree stand with nailed on 2x4 steps or a neighborhood kids tree fort with the same nailed on steps, long ago rotted off and the nails assimilated into the trunk every 18" or so.  Sound about right?
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

Daren

If it was a country cemetery that would make sense, a deer stand. This particular cemetery is smack in the middle of a small town (Bethany Illinois). And the tree was not anywhere near the road like it would have "yard sale" signs or anything nailed to it over the years.

Not to get off subject, but most everyone whines about tramp metal in "yard trees". I do see my fair share. But I get surprised by "timber trees" just as often, well maybe more often because I don't expect it. I had a beauty walnut dropped here from the woods, virgin timber. Another drainage clearing job. I was alllowed to go to the site first and mark anything I wanted. There was nothing there (bottom land) but cottonwoods and that one nice walnut, I marked the walnut. They delivered it here. I threw it on the mill...first face, 2 nails and 4 deer slugs. Someone had nailed targets to the tree...and I might add they were a bad shot, the slugs were not very close to the nails so it messed up quite abit of lumber. :-\
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

StephenRice

When I lived in (actually near) the little village of Lakeview, Michigan, there was a cemetery there on the side of town next to Tamarack Lake that had deer in it.  I knew of one or two guys that  knew about the deer and hunted there.  That is why I thought about the tree stand scenario.
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

Ron Scott

Cemetary Trees, Bliss, Mi Cemetary, 9/10

~Ron

SwampDonkey

There was a red maple that blew over on the cemetery this week. Doesn't look like any damages. My cousin went in and cleaned it up and used the wood for firewood.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

iffy

I got about 50 ponderosa pine logs a couple years ago from the local cemetery. They were dying from pine bark beetle. My Linn mill is still laying on a pallet in a semi completed state, as I have had more pressing things to do. Hauled 11 of the logs down to a local mill and had him mill them, kiln dry them, and make 2 x 6 t & g out of them for my loft floor. Beautiful floor, but you better own a sandpaper company if you want to get it slick smooth. I settled for kinda smooth. Wanted a rustic look anyway. Still have the remainder of the logs stacked up off the ground, don't know if I there will be anything left to saw by the time I get back to finishing my mill or not. :(

Magicman

Very nice.  That closest butt log in the small picture looked limby all of the way down.  Is that normal?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

iffy

Seems to be on these. Makes pretty wood, but even after going thru a heated kiln, ya gotta use a lot of table lube while planing and shaping. Will plug a floor drum sander in just a couple of passes. The picture was taken last year, so most of the bark has slipped now and I really need to get out there and restack them. I had the cemetery crew cut it into the longest lengths they could get before it decreased appreciably in diameter. Figured I could always cut them into saw logs I can actually use. Otherwise, the crew just cut them into 8' lengths with no regard to taper. Don't know if there will be anything there to cut by the time I get to it, and not sure what I'll do with it after I cut it. It does make some beautiful paneling if you can put up with the pitch clogging everything up.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thanks Jeff You just reminded Me that i have to ring back a couple of cemetery,s that had some good logs that they wanted removed  :o :) ::)  ;) :D :D
Ones got 4 Redwoods with about a 100' of sawlogs in ea tree and another 10 Ponderosa's all 3' to 5' dia and the other jobs about 30 Radiata and Ponderosa pines from 2' to 4' butts that would go to sleeper logs  ;) Im not in a rush and they know that and it dont worry them as im the only one that would drop them for free if they supply an excavator   :) ;) :D :D  theres no trouble with these ones either as they ar both surrounded by farm land  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ron Scott

Cemetery Trees, Niehart Montana Cemetary, 9/09

~Ron

qbilder

Here's some slabs I milled from a large cedar that had been standing dead in a cemetery for ages. The caretakers never would cut it because of fear of damaging a monument. The township trustee & I downed it correctly to dodge any stones. Was dry as popcorn & nice milling except one log had old spike style nails in it that were clearly made by a blacksmith. I thought that was really neat to see hand pounded nails, but my saw didn't like it.

God bless our troops

SwampDonkey

There are a few old pioneer cemeteries with trees grown up in them around here as well. The ones I know of wouldn't be real old, early 1800's. I don't recall any stones up my way back to the 1700's. Those would be down in St John and some 1500's stuff long gone on the coast. But the wooden dikes from the Acadians are still down there from the 1600's on the beeches of the Bay.

cjfrank

About 10 years ago, I had the opportunity to do some tree work in a cemetary and the parish elders had to give approval before work started. We had a wind storm go through and up root several large spruce and therefore they wanted to remove all the trees and replant with schrubbs that didn't grow so high. The elders were concerned with the fact that the up rooted trees exposed some of the graves and wanted to eliminate that problem.
cjfrank, 1976 clark 664 skidder
Model 4000 Iron Mule Forwarder
1958 JD 620 Tractor
1990 peterbuilt straight truck with lemco loader, 2009 Woodmizer LT40 w/12' Extension

TravisMVL

Anybody ever notice that there seems to be high concentrations of burl covered trees in cemetaries? This is a very common thing here in new jersey.

Tom

That's because folks from New Jersey won't stay put.  That's their soul trying to get to Florida.   :D

northwoods1

Quote from: TravisMVL on December 29, 2010, 09:03:41 PM
Anybody ever notice that there seems to be high concentrations of burl covered trees in cemetaries? This is a very common thing here in new jersey.

Hey I didn't know there was much logging going on in Califon NJ :D that is come beautiful country out there. My x wife is from there and I have visited it many times, she always claimed she grew up as a country girl but I had a hard time believing it because, what is it 30 minutes to NYC? Califon is a nice place.

Just Me

Quote from: Ron Scott on October 14, 2010, 08:57:00 PM
Cemetary Trees, Bliss, Mi Cemetary, 9/10

Hey! I used to own a small farm just around the corner from there. Great neighborhood.

metalspinner

The home we owned previous to our current home was adjacent to a small cemetary.  Some of the grave stones were dated from the 1800's all the way to present day.  There was a gap of many decades in the cemetary's active use.

To this day, those were the best neighbors I have ever had.

Thank You Sponsors!