iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can Magnolia be used for firewood

Started by clww, January 08, 2011, 08:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clww

I went to a landowners house this afternoon. He has a large live magnolia tree with several damaged limbs broken off from the 14.5" of snow we had on 26 December. He asked me if he could burn this as firewood, once it has seasoned. I told him I had never tried to burn any magnolia and had no idea. I also told him I'd look on the FF for any knowledge. Open for input.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Tom

Sweet Bay magnolia that I have burned, burns quickly and doesn't form many coals.  It burns to a fine white ash, but it does burn fairly hot. 

I would think that Magnolia Grandiflora would do the same, but I have no experience.

SwampDonkey

If it's not a traditional firewood species in your area than it likely has lower heat value. If you wanted fall wood, I would think I would use it then. It's kind of the same situation I suspect when considering white birch and aspen. Good for fall wood or starting the morning fire, but some nice hard maple, beech, hickory or oak is needed for a cooking fire. ;D

I don't know how many times I've heard people rave over apple wood for heat. I had some seasoned for over a year and it was closest to the furnace door in the fall of the year. I burnt it and it went fast, not a lot of heat to it. As soon as I started into my hard maple I was warm. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

Thanks for the speedy replies! ;D I'm going back today, so I'll tell him what I have garnered here on the Forum.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

tyb525

I would be interested in cutting some bowl blanks or lumber if I were you :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

clww

He's not into wood working. He just wants to get it out of his yard. I'm over there working on a 86" willow oak tree that blew over during a storm in 2009. I'm on the main trunk now, ripping boards 3" thick X 42" wide X 12 feet long with my chainsaw with a guide and a straight 2X6.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Okay, you talked me in to it! I'll get some on here in a couple of days. I've been needing to put some on here anyways.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Quote from: clww on January 09, 2011, 09:11:11 PMI've been needing to put some on here anyways.

I'll agree with that.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

I've started adding some pictures on my profile, including the current oak tree.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Shotgun

Quote from: clww on January 17, 2011, 01:57:06 PM
I've started adding some pictures on my profile, including the current oak tree.

It might be better to start a gallery and put your pictures there, clww.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jeff

Quote from: clww on January 17, 2011, 01:57:06 PM

The purpose for the profile photos are to let people know about you. You can play with those, remove them, whatever. To put photos on the forum, you need to use the gallery so they become a permanent record for the future.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!