iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keeping old stuff going

Started by caveman, December 28, 2021, 05:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Quote from: rusticretreater on December 31, 2021, 12:32:01 PM.Right now its the shut off solenoid that's not working.  I have to open the hood and manually move the fuel shutoff lever to stop the engine. $100 for the quality solenoid.  And so it goes...
Not familiar with your bota shutdown but a dodge/bosch style unit can usually be fixed by taking it apart and buffing up any rust on the iron core.  Its sorta like bendix starter solenoid with the kickout fork. Just a puck in a tube.
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on December 31, 2021, 11:29:55 PM
Quote from: rusticretreater on December 31, 2021, 12:32:01 PM.Right now its the shut off solenoid that's not working.  I have to open the hood and manually move the fuel shutoff lever to stop the engine. $100 for the quality solenoid.  And so it goes...
Not familiar with your bota shutdown but a dodge/bosch style unit can usually be fixed by taking it apart and buffing up any rust on the iron core.  Its sorta like bendix starter solenoid with the kickout fork. Just a puck in a tube.
This is why I save old choke cables.

mike_belben

Ive made em from aircraft cable, solder and brake line when needed
Praise The Lord

Tom King

I built this splitting stand for my 1979 John Deere.  It bolts to the loader frame, so you don't have to take the loader off, and has a little tab welded to it so a hose clamp can hold the steering drag link without having to block the tires.  It uses scaffolding feet for side to side fine tuning when putting the tractor back together.

John Deere wanted several hundred dollars to make a clutch alignment tool that they don't stock any more.  I turned one on the wood lathe.

It went right back together with just a little jiggling of the PTO in gear.

mike_belben

Nice.  My bota needs split and i really dont wanna do it 
Praise The Lord

Tom King

I use a bunch of white dishpans from the dollar store to put parts in as I take something apart.  Keeping organized to start with saves a lot of time for any teardown job.  All bolts, or parts from each step go in a separate pan.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on January 01, 2022, 10:50:21 AM
Nice.  My bota needs split and i really dont wanna do it
I got a cub here [1 of 4] that needs a main trans. shaft. You can come do it for practice, it is a small tractor.

farmfromkansas

Even if you are willing to pay the mechanic shop, it is hard to get your stuff in.  They are backed up. And I am not able to work on all my stuff.  My 05 F-450 has needed a lot of repair and I took it to reasonable shops for the work.  New timing chains and guides, new bearings and syncronizers in the 6 speed trans, and new clutch.  It has refused to start a couple times, and as you can't get the bed up to replace the fuel pump took it in.  Now it quit again and they replaced the fuel pump relay.  Said it was soldered in the fuse box, they soldered in a holder so it can be replaced easy the next time.  Didn't miss a beat on the way home.  I paid 3750 for the truck a year ago, and it runs great when it runs.  Hope it is fixed now.  Now I have about 11,000 in the truck. Did manage to replace the coolant bottle and O rings on my 7130 JD, great tractor when you can keep the coolant in it.  Only the 2nd time in 13 years. I am trying to coast, and not buy any more new equipment.  Plan to take my baler in for inspection and repair this winter.  Neighbor had a bit of a fire with his baler last summer, I was raking ahead of the baler.  Burned about 10 acres and a few bales, but saved the baler with his fire extinguisher. Not a pleasant experience.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

rusticretreater

The Kubota shutoff solenoid is a sealed unit.  I was able to pull the rubber boot back and spray some solvent in the bore, moved it back and forth a bit. Still didn't work.  

The solenoid is at the rear of the engine and the radiator/fan is in between it and the firewall.  Great idea on using a choke cable. Have to give that a look.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

mike_belben

If the solenoid is readily obtainable and you can spare the cash id probably just order one. Theyll only get more expensive with time.

If no dough, coat hanger.  12.5g high tensile fence wire inside brake line could do push and pull if it needs to be longer than a coat hanger.
Praise The Lord

jimbarry

You are all dedicated to the art of fixology. For me, its three meals and 6 cups of coffee a day keeps this old thing going. :)   I still dabble, and if I had a shop space to work in I'd dabble some more. Here's the one occasion where I had more time than money and even less knowledge of twisting wrenches. Ah, the courage of youth. Bought this 79 Berlinetta in the late 80's, replaced the rear frame with shop made frame. Replaced a lot of the rubber bushing and rusted bolts. Painted the underside and engine bay and detailed the interior back to original. Kept it for about 15 years or so and sold it for what I bought it for. 

kelLOGg

Maintaining my 1987 weedeater was becoming a problem due to the gas squeeze bulbs that cracked before the season was over. I even had some crack in an unopened package. I have never had to replace rubber gas lines in vehicles so why are squeeze bulbs such a problem? Gas lines! that's the answer. I bought thin-walled line and cut a piece 2" long and replaced the bulb and it has lasted well over a year now with no signs of cracking.  and it cost about 1% of what a bulb costs.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

Good tip. Another thing that woks well is buying and using a bunch of HF magnets to keep the small parts and fasteners together. A pair of 1"X2" X 3/8" magnets cost about $1. I keep a bunch of them stuck on the inside of my  mill panel to hold paperwork and such in place and grab a couple when I'm removing nuts and screws from guards and such.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on January 03, 2022, 03:24:06 AM
If the solenoid is readily obtainable and you can spare the cash id probably just order one. Theyll only get more expensive with time.

If no dough, coat hanger.  12.5g high tensile fence wire inside brake line could do push and pull if it needs to be longer than a coat hanger.
Too much trouble, idle down, put in high gear, hold foot on brake and let clutch out :D.

mike_belben

thats how i shut off my detroit forklift.. just tip the mast all the way out and let the hydraulic pump stall it.  

i believe some fuel solenoids have 2 coils and 2 stages.. a hold and a run or something like that.  not entirely sure, i havent had a shutoff solenoid in years. everything i got down here is just a lever. 
Praise The Lord

Ed_K

Mike, you don't have a shut off rod coming from the gov?
Ed K

Don P

Quote from: mike_belben on January 03, 2022, 11:24:27 AMthats how i shut off my detroit forklift.. just tip the mast all the way out and let the hydraulic pump stall it. 

Since nothing has parking brakes I just assumed it was all part of the master plan. I usually have the implement buried and wheels up about the time it stalls.

mike_belben

It is also how i park it.  Machine uses a62 axles with hydraulic actuated internal wet band brakes using a lever type linelock that leaks down.  So i just ground out the forks to park. One extra second to shut off.  Its not a safe machine in hills, no brakes and minimal steering if it stalls. ive gone for a few rides. 

Has some kinda rod to what i think is the governor which does nothing. It runs great and until it dont i have many other more critical things to fiddle with.  Its been so reliable that ive managed to learn nothing about it, which i love. The sound is not my favorite but for the dependability its earned a home. 
Praise The Lord

Don P

I've knocked that little loader out of gear on a hill and rolled backwards longer than desired. Reminiscent of Ford's first attempt at turning a model T into a snowmobile  :D

TroyC

This is my oldie for the day, my 35 yr old lawnmower. Tire change. Ever notice that the smaller the tire, harder they are to change?

farmfromkansas

I'd probably just jack up that mower and pry the old tire off and the new one on right on the machine.  Too hard to hold onto the wheel and pry the tire off at the same time.  I have put a long bolt through the axle hole and clamped the bolt in the vise to work on the tire.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

TroyC

That's what I did. I've taken the wheel off before but today left it on and removed the tire. Inside of tire went back on reasonably easy, outside always tight on those little 6" rims. Good for another 10 years!

gspren

Does lacing up my ankle brace and popping some ibuprofen count as "keeping old stuff going"?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

TroyC

Quote from: gspren on January 21, 2022, 08:46:45 AM
Does lacing up my ankle brace and popping some ibuprofen count as "keeping old stuff going"?
As long as you post pictures 8)

Thank You Sponsors!