iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stinkbugs

Started by doctorb, September 30, 2013, 08:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

The fall "indoor" migration of these imported pests has begun again.  Side of my house was covered with them on a beautiful, cool Sunday afternoon.  We've worked hard to tighten up our chimneys, doors, windows and vents to decrease the numbers that make it inside to "hibernate" for the winter.  Anybody else hate these things as much as I do?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

I think them are the same thing that eats my squash leaves? If they are the same I hate them too. I have never any on my house,but have seen them in my garden. One year I was cutting the leaves off and I would fill a big paper grocery bag of leaves of them. They would just about cover a squash leaf. Than into the OWB they would go.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

Around here we have mostly boxelder bugs and those Asian beetles (look like ladybugs) that migrate in by the millions.  My dad found a spray that works good around the outside of the house and has some residual, if I remember right I think it's food grade type of stuff for gardens/dairy barns ands such, I'll have to ask him what it is, should work on them too I'd think.

beenthere

For the days (gone by now) of the Asian beetle, I found Ortho's Home Defense to be quite effective.

DoctorB
Can you post a pic of the "stinkbug" ?  Am wondering if the same thing we call boxelder bug.

Also we've been getting the Nut Weevil with the real long proboscis.
http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-4530/EPP-7079web.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Stink bugs are stinky. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

doctorb

Here's a link for general info and appearance of the stinkbug.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug

It's an introduced (Allentown PA, 1998) asian insect that can flatten itself to incredibly thin dimensions, making it able to slip through any crack in the siding, flashing, doors, and windows.  They do not sting, and can be easily caught and handled.  Yes, they do stink, especially when handled or squished.  If you vaccum them up, the air exhaust of the vaccum is dreadful with the smell.  They are spreading and may soon visit a neighborhood near you!

Their natural wintering habitat is between the bark and wood of a dead tree, so my woodpile is full of them.  There is some payback enjoyment seeing 20 or 30 of these things "asleep" on the wood as I throw the log into the OWB.  They are attracted to fruits and other smells, light colors, and light.  None of the current pesticides used on everything else we are used to seem to have any effect.  The best treatment is to drop them into soapy water!  Anyway, they are a real PIA.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ron Wenrich

Air conditioner covers are magnets for them.  Lavender is a decent repellent.  You can get some cheap lavender scented cleaning liquid that is supposed to lessen the numbers.

I haven't seen the numbers that I have in the past.  It seems we had those hellish outbreaks a few years ago, but now they're more of an occasional but common bug.  I've seen more crickets inside the house than stinkbugs.  Another thing missing this year are those huge swarms of ladybugs we used to get.

Populations explode, then collapse.  I saw it with the gypsy moth.  Gypsy moth is now more of a nuisance.  I believe stinkbugs will be the same.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thecfarm

Ayup,them are the squash leaves eaters.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

blackfoot griz

Doc,

You might want to check out a product called "Tempo".  It comes in a super concentrate.  No smell or nasty residue. The stuff is safe enough to be used in commercial kitchens. The results are impressive. 

The stuff works well on our "western" stink bugs! 

sandhills

That's it Blackfoot, I couldn't remember the name and forgot to ask dad today, it's worked on about everything around here.  Doc, they look like the stink bugs (at least what I call them) around here, the Tempo gets ours as well.

gspren

Around here their favorite hiding spot seems to be in my work gloves  >:( I have burnt a few pair of gloves over the past years. If you put on a glove containing stink bugs plan on numerous and vigorous hand washings.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mesquite buckeye

I would refer you to my previous post. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Stinkbugs are the stinky hippies of the insect world. smiley_airfreshener smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw

WmFritz

Never seen one them ugly looking bugs like DocB's got. But, I was framing a roof one time and I smacked a box elder bug with my 22 oz Estwing. Learned real quick to close my mouth tighter when I do that next time!   :-X.  YUCK!!!   :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SLawyer Dave

Before this year, I had never had a problem with Stink Bugs, but my garden got torn up by them this summer.  Especially the squash.  Didn't try any pesticides, as I do an organic garden.  According to research I did, weed control is one of the ways to protect your plants.  I generally just work around weeds, but will try to do some ground cover next year hoping to control both the weeds and stink bugs. 

thecfarm

SLawyer Dave,the weed thing is a bunch nothing. Or in my garden anyways. I use newspaper and hay or grass clippings. No weeds in my squash. Maybe the stink bugs like my weed control.  :D

Tom L

I saw a stink bug trap, you take a soda bottle, cut the top off, a third of the way down the bottle. inside the bottom you put a small led light. then invert the top and put it back in the bottom . supposed to work if you put it in your attic and leave the small led light on inside the bottle, they go in and can't get out of the trap

thecfarm

I need that in my garden. But I would need about 10-2 litter bottles. They would be full each morning.

Den Socling

I've got a brother-in-law that lives between Frederick and DC. Stinkbugs are a real problem for him. All over the house and in the pool. Last night I saw a show about killer bees. There is another thread around here about invasive species but I'll say it here. There is nothing worse than killer bees. An idiot brought in 17 queens - I think it was 17. They have multiplied to spread out more than 6000 miles and cover more that 6 million acres. You really can't complain about fumigation, sterilization and other efforts to contain pest.

mesquite buckeye

Please be clear. It was a government idiot. I believe it was a USAID project in Brazil. They were trying to breed for honey bees that would thrive in the tropics. Then the labor idiot pulled the queen excluders out of  the hives which allowed the bees to swarm and escape.

There is a long list of government introductions that turned out to be a big problem.

EAB came into Michigan on an Air Force transport plane.

1woodguy

about a week or so ago we were sitting on the porch and there was a bunch of stink bugs only they were green but looked like the brownish one
   Window was down on pick up and next morning as I was driving I found they sure liked my neck and inside my shirt
Every timeI tried to brush them off they sprayed I finally started crushing them
Told the guys I was working with the smell was my new cologne

Noticed past two days its little black beetles

Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

beenthere

QuoteEAB came into Michigan on an Air Force transport plane.

Not what I heard. Came in through a MI nursery importing from the Pac NW.

But can get a lot of guesses as to where. Fact is, it is here.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

About all I get is the reliable house fly for the winter, but around March I will see the odd Asian lady bug emerge, not much of them in the dead of winter. I do get crickets, but in the basement. They are around the wood I suspect, but they don't seem to bother noth'n and usually all die off before mid winter.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Check this out.

http://stopthebeetle.info/where-is-it/

Unfortunately, all the USDA websites are shut down to punish the innocent.

The first documented EAB infestation is in the county next to the Air Force base in SE Michigan. I learned about it from my cousin who used to live near the original release site. The EAB probably came in from Japan. Only takes one mated female to get the job done. Jets go fast, get there before the bugs die. Look out for more problem bugs and diseases in your future.

SwampDonkey

It's been going on ever since intercontinental trade.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

billporterfield

Telstar is the product to use if your want to kill there "buggers". This product will take down Japanes bettles, wasps, stingbug, etc. What is down is to spray the entire home (outside only) and when it drys has a 6 month protection. It can be used around kitchen. Been using this for years.

xlogger

Has anyone here make a trap for the stinkbugs that works? I seen on youtube one that puts a light in a coffee can with the light at the bottom and a clear plastic bowl on top with soapy water in it. Wonder if that works?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Magicman

The "false ladybugs" are a real nuisance for us.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Leigh Family Farm

The best pest control for stinkbugs that I have heard of is the Guinea Fowl. This farm bird will eat every tick, stink bug, and unwanted insect on your entire property. The vacuum trick doesn't work;it just stinks up your vacuum. I never heard about the red light contraption but then again we used to change the porch light bulbs to green or red bulbs so the bugs and mosquitos  wouldn't come near us.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

SwampDonkey

House flies are a winter time chore to vacuum up.  ;D

stavebuyer

Quote from: doctorb on September 30, 2013, 08:30:08 AM
The fall "indoor" migration of these imported pests has begun again.  Side of my house was covered with them on a beautiful, cool Sunday afternoon.  We've worked hard to tighten up our chimneys, doors, windows and vents to decrease the numbers that make it inside to "hibernate" for the winter.  Anybody else hate these things as much as I do?
I hate the darn nasty things. They are a somewhat new arrival; but like the EAB they have made it here and multiplied exponentially and have become a problem in the house. 
Anyone achieved success in controlling them?

SwampDonkey

What do these 'stink bugs' look like? We've always had native stink bugs here in grain harvest by the millions like ladybugs (native ones) as far back as I can remember in the 70's. Stink bugs get on elderberries, maybe they eat those, no idea. The wild type I see here all the time are a lime green, I've never seen one in the house.

Green Stink Bug (Chinavia hilaris)

SwampDonkey

I don't have the house flies in winter here inside the new house, but they do get in during the warm season on the porch and around window screen with an open window and every time a door opens. Even an Asian lady bug once in awhile, in fall. But right now, not a bug of any kind. House flies are bad around AC units.

Don P

A stinkbug decided we'd had enough pancakes this morning and took a dive bomb into the griddle, that ended my desire for more  ::).

I removed screens and was doing windows the other day. When I opened one there were hundreds of the fake ladybugs and a very few stinkbugs clustered against the seal. Next window was just the opposite. I assume they are packed in any void in the house just like that until they find a connection in to more warmth, then its just a short trip to ruining the landlord's breakfast.

stavebuyer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 16, 2022, 03:23:35 PM
What do these 'stink bugs' look like? We've always had native stink bugs here in grain harvest by the millions like ladybugs (native ones) as far back as I can remember in the 70's. Stink bugs get on elderberries, maybe they eat those, no idea. The wild type I see here all the time are a lime green, I've never seen one in the house.

Green Stink Bug (Chinavia hilaris)
Brown marmorated stink bug - Wikipedia

SawyerTed

Permethrin is the best to ward off a stink bug invasion!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SwampDonkey

You guys have access to chemicals that are restricted up here unless you have an applicator's license. I can't even buy Round-up concentrate, all diluted stuff. And can pretty much forget any harsh insecticide, all organic and mostly ineffective stuff is all they sell. :D If I was farming and had my permit, no trouble at all. :D

SwampDonkey

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SwampDonkey

Ok, different stuff. I do see this on different Canadian sites, some that sell camp gear.

Ron Wenrich

I don't see very many of them anymore.  They're usually some in the firewood stacks, but only a few.  Seems like the populations collapse, like all bug populations.  The EAB came through and has mostly collapsed.  Right now, the big population is lantern flies. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Haven't noticed EAB here yet, but it was discovered in northern NB and Maine 3 years ago. Hope never to see it. A lot of ash in these parts.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 17, 2022, 05:25:01 AM
I don't see very many of them anymore.  They're usually some in the firewood stacks, but only a few.  Seems like the populations collapse, like all bug populations.  The EAB came through and has mostly collapsed.  Right now, the big population is lantern flies.
They should be killing themselves off within a decade or two no? They're killing off their only means of survival pretty fast(ash)
Once they die off there will be a need of effort to replant ash across NA
A1

YellowHammer

We get stinkbugs in the fall by the thousands, maybe millions.  We cleaned out some boxes in the barn loft last fall and some boxes had literally inches deep of them crawling around.  It was like a horror movie.  We just started a bonfire and started throwing everything in.  They smell worse when they are burning.      
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

samandothers

Pesticide-free DIY: Rid your home of Stink Bugs! (Viewer tested!) - YouTube

This is a video I recently watched about the stink bugs and some non-pesticide ways to rid them.  The guy does nature videos about things in our area of Va.  He has another video on stink bugs and the Asian lady bugs.  

aigheadish

We've got them here in Dayton as well. Somehow we consistently have a handful flying around inside. They are gross and annoying. The most I've seen have been on my woodworking lumber and in boxes like YH mentioned. I'll have to keep some of the chemical options in mind to try to get rid of them. We tried the plug in devices that are supposed to repel insects and small critters. They debatably work a bit. We had less stickbugs inside than last year but that could be for a variety of reasons. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

RPF2509

I once lived in a house  that was painted the exact color of the local stinkbugs.  It had a wood shake roof perfect for hibernating tens of thousands of the buggers.  Every fall they came home to while away the winter.  Luckily once they arrived they didn't move about much until the spring out migration.  During the winter, spiders would drop the drained carcasses on my desk.  A few warm days in spring were all it took for the out migration to start and finish.  The fall build up was much longer and more of a hassle

PoginyHill

This is what I've referred to as "stink bugs". I guess the proper name is Asian Lady Beetle. They aren't normally that stinky, but if they are disturbed, they will emit a musty smell. If you vacuum them up (the only reasonable way to get rid of them) the vacuum exhaust smells musty. Like has been described here, they collect in large numbers on the side of the house in the fall looking for a place to winter. On warm days they'll collect on windows and leave nice little black dots everywhere. Occasionally one might join me in the shower. What fun.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Walnut Beast

Same problem in this Nick of the woods 😂

HemlockKing

I have those dumb asian lady bugs they pith me off right good. first few cold flashes in the late fall and they're everywhere...
A1

HemlockKing

Also had a couple seed conifer bugs get inside and START BUZZING IN MY FACE when i got up to use the bathroom, went right for the light(above my head) and freaked me out, i thought it was a wasp at first and knocked a bunch of stuff off the vanity..
A1

SwampDonkey

They are busy here just before freeze up, then no sign of them. Mostly outside on the siding and around doors ready to zip in when open. But other than coming in an open window or door, they are kept at bay. Just as bad as house flies until freeze up, then nothing.

Magicman

That is what we call 'false ladybugs' and yes they stink, but that is not what I call a stinkbug: LINK

Brown marmorated stinkbug:  LINK  and  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

HemlockKing

The asian lady bugs have a weird off-putting smell
A1

taylorsmissbeehaven

This hits home for me!! We had a big invasion in our house a few years back. Turned out they were coming in under the bark on my firewood. Seemed that they were hibernating(?) there and came to life once in the warm house. Moving my firewood storage building further from the house made a big difference. Most of us on this forum have wood around our homes. Seems many people that I know that live in town with small well kept lots ( no logs or firewood) don't know what I'm talking about..... 
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

thecfarm

Quote from: taylorsmissbeehaven on January 26, 2022, 12:18:11 PMSeems many people that I know that live in town with small well kept lots ( no logs or firewood) don't know what I'm talking about.....
I get that a lot. They can't understand why I am outside "working" all the time.  :)

PoginyHill

Quote from: thecfarm on January 27, 2022, 08:19:11 AMThey can't understand why I am outside "working" all the time.
And there lies the root of the rural vs urban thing. There's a lot about our way of thinking that "town folk" don't understand.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Thank You Sponsors!