iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please identify this part found in an old logging camp

Started by raw75, October 24, 2012, 04:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raw75

First post, so my apologies if this is not the right place for this question. The part pictured below was found with several just like it in an abandoned logging camp in New England that was serviced by rail and once had its own mill. It reminds me of the set works for a log carriage, but it's not like any I have seen before. I'm no expert, so I'm hoping that someone here recognizes it and can tell me what it is. I can post some pictures of the others that were found, but the one below is really the best photo available.  Thanks for any information you might have.

Also, I have several photos of other mystery objects. Are questions about them welcome in this forum? If not, can you recommend a better one? Most of the artifacts would be from the 1890s-1920s time frame.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

POSTON WIDEHEAD

#1. Welcome to the Forestry Forum Raw75
#2. CONGRATULATIONS on your first post and getting pictures to come up......and by the way, a great pic at that.
#3. Please post any other mystery pics you have. There's some pretty good "guessers" on here.  :)
#4. No......there isn't another Forum website that even comes close to the information you will get on here.
#5. I DON'T HAVE A CLUE as to what kind of tool is in your pic!  :D :D :D

You'll have a lot of fun on here Raw. I can't wait to read some of the comments that will come in later this evening about your mystery tool.

Welcome again my friend. Where are you from? What do you do? Thanks!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

Would be most welcomed here. If you have more pics of different angles or of different finds.. put um up !!!  :)  I can only saye it looks like a peice of rust ...  ::) 

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: isawlogs on October 24, 2012, 04:31:30 PM
I can only saye it looks like a peice of rust ...  ::) 

You were looking at my avatar......not Raw75's pic.  ;D

isawlogs

You posted at the same time as me and distracted me...  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: isawlogs on October 24, 2012, 04:44:10 PM

Are you telling me a face like mine is distracting?  :D :D :D

Holmes

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 24, 2012, 04:48:24 PM
Quote from: isawlogs on October 24, 2012, 04:44:10 PM

Are you telling me a face like mine is distracting?  :D :D :D

Distracting?    David you are being to kind to yourself... :D
Think like a farmer.

beenthere

raw75
Welcome to the forum. Stick with us, and you will get used to the banter going on.  ;D

Any chance of a pic with that part on something flat as the grass seems to hide some of it.
And a couple sides with a ruler in the pic to get a feel for the size of these parts.

I visualize a dog setter for a carriage as well as a type of come-a-long (also a ratchet-type fence stretcher, etc. ). Hard to tell what pivots and what is held stationary, or what the small handles might be for).
Regardless, sounds like some great finds. Lookin for more. Thanks for posting.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

haywire woodlot

Something like a Gillchrist jack, a sort of ratcheting jack similar to a common farm jack. They were popular with hand loggers out this way, where it was common for one man to log a steep hillside on his own using only gravity to get logs to the water, with assistance from his double bitted axe, cross cut saw and Gillchrist jack. The idea was to fall a tree and have it land in such a way that it continues down the hill into tide water with out any hang ups or jack pots. Once a tree hung up, that's where the jack comes in, the tree would be limbed and barked on one side, then the jack was used to roll it onto its slippery barkless side and hopefully slide the rest of the way to the water.
Dave

beenthere

Here is a patent with description and drawing of the Gilchrist Logging Jack.

The rack seems to be on the opposite side, but that may just be a modification.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=v6JBAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q&f=false
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPD748

Really David? Distracting? I was thinking of a different word.

Raw75... What a find! A man could walk forever through the woods and never come across a piece of history like that. Feel free to post many more pictures like that!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!