iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

B-8 and B-9 Shanks

Started by tractorman44, May 15, 2015, 08:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tractorman44

Are B8 and B9 shanks interchangeable???  As far as I see, they look identical with the exception that the B9 has a slightly thicker, beefier shoulder from the hole up to the short end.

Ron Wenrich

You can mix and match.  All B shanks fit into a B pattern saw.  How many are you mixing?  I'd space them out so they aren't all on one side of the saw.  It could make the saw out of balance a bit and give you some wobble.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

tractorman44

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on May 15, 2015, 09:18:21 AM
You can mix and match.  All B shanks fit into a B pattern saw.  How many are you mixing?  I'd space them out so they aren't all on one side of the saw.  It could make the saw out of balance a bit and give you some wobble.

Its going to be seven total....In setting up an old Belsaw A-14 (predates the M-series) close inspection showed a tiny crack in seven shanks some from the hole out and some from the hole in.  Fortunately they are mostly kinda spaced around the saw, with only one set of two together.  Its a 40 tooth, 50 incher.  Today, an inspection with a magnifying glass on the remaining shanks is in order.

Another question for the masses....does anyone know of either an aftermarket or a Belsaw upgrade for the cheap dogs on the old A series....  The existing ones are definately a weak point in the setup. 

Thanks for the input sir. 

JSNH

The 8 & 9 are gauge numbers for the thickness of the blade.  I would agree they are interchangeable for us hobby sawyers. When replacing it is best to scatter them around the blade don't replace a bunch in a row.

loggah

A 50 " saw is pretty big for a Belsaw,with their small arbor. 46" is about the biggest Belsaw used to recommend.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

tractorman44

Quote from: loggah on May 15, 2015, 06:20:41 PM
A 50 " saw is pretty big for a Belsaw,with their small arbor. 46" is about the biggest Belsaw used to recommend.

Thats pretty much what I've gathered after doing a Belsaw topic search here.  I'm thinking the old timer that had this saw made a few changes the main thing of course is the 50".  There's a machined bushing installed in the blade and a set of roll pins to pin the blade. However, its got a very nice aluminum saw guide.  The carriage leaves a LOT to be desired and the dogs are just a bit above the worthless category. 

Noted, JSNH...not going to place the new shanks all in a row.

Thank You Sponsors!