iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stoolman breaks into

Started by Larry, October 04, 2022, 10:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

the Walton Arts Center - Our Art, Our Region, Our Time Joy Pratt Markham Gallery.  To get in I had to write a artist bio and statement.  Send in only two pictures of work.  Sit and wait to see if I got accepted....most didn't.  The stool made it in, but my wall art did not.  It will be on display until November 14th.  Pieces can be sold and the gallery does not charge a commission.  It's a great opportunity, as the Walton Arts Center presents high end Broadway plays and the gallery is really nice.  Only me and one other guy with wood art.

My first experience of this nature.  I'm already working on a couple more pieces.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Old Greenhorn

This is awesome! Congratulations! Bozos like me never think of putting stuff in a gallery setting but you've given guys like me a new thing to consider as we progress and produce nicer stuff. Beautiful stool, I hope it finds a home. 
 Finding the right outlet for higher end stuff is always a task that seems unsurmountable. I am (way too) often told by folks who buy and look at my stuff that if they saw the same piece in the city (for us, that's NYC) it would bring 3-4 times the price I sell it for.
 Looks like you've found a good outlet and hopefully, now that you've got in, you can continue to place pieces.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Congratulations, you should be quite proud.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Downstream

That's really cool.  Congrats. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

customsawyer

Absolutely awesome. You will never know how far that stool will travel on just three legs.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Andries

Well done - it seems you and your woodworking projects are keeping good company!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Walnut Beast

Congratulations Larry!!! I always admire your projects! 

tule peak timber

Over the years you have posted some beautiful stool builds that I remember well. Congratulations on your recognition  :) 
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

metalspinner

Nice!
Great job shooting for the stars! That piece deserves the spotlight. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

kantuckid

Congrats!!!
Larry, as a craftsman, you owe it to yourself to visit the Southern Highland Craft Guild in Asheville, NC area. over 900 juried members show their work there. It's awe inspiring to say the least as you'll see the highest levels of expertise in woods and more I've ever laid eyes on. Fall is the season too! You'll come away ready to make more stuff.  :D  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Jeff

Very fine Art. I mean great Larry! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rusticretreater

Right on!  You never know what you can do until you try.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Tom King

Congratulations!  I think that post got the most likes I've ever seen.

I hope that smile didn't get stuck with a cramp, it was so big.

21incher

Congratulations. You deserve it. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

barbender

That is great! Beautiful stool👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

Dan_Shade

Very nice. 

What typically gets one into a juried show?

Is it build quality? 
Aesthetic points?
Design?
Well used wood patterns?

Or is it an "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand" thing. 

Dan
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

I know very little about how to submit to a gallery or show.  I can only relate how it worked for me.

When I submitted to the Walton Arts Center I was required to submit a high quality picture on a neutral background.  Photo had to be a minimum of 300 ppi.  Next was a artist biography which is commonly written in third person.  Third was a artist statement.  Both had 300 word limits.  I was told a poor picture or grammar would mean the application would end up in the trash can. 

My friend, who has been in a few shows told me they sometimes ask for additional pictures, or information.  Than the work is judged against other submissions.  

Once my work was accepted I got to meet the art gallery curators.  They took the time to chat and gave me additional tips.  They also told me what work interested them.  Should help me a lot when I submit next year.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

kantuckid

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 09, 2022, 12:49:34 PM
Very nice.

What typically gets one into a juried show?

Is it build quality?
Aesthetic points?
Design?
Well used wood patterns?

Or is it an "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand" thing.

Dan
There are craft guild juries which are experts in their field of the article being submitted. Guilds have various skilled persons with much expertise and keep out the potato bin makers and bring in the good stuff. Often an honor to be selected and may involve more than one item for safety of the guilds reputation. 
Local arts shows can be a great honor to be selected, but fact is most with art training ar fine arts trained and few wood craftspeople that come out of those universities. Pottery and brush work, art prints, weaving, etc., pre-dominate as you'd expect. Also, lots of jewelry related items at craft shows in recent decades. 
Wood is by the far less seen area of work in crafts. In KY at the state fair there is a VG representation of wood items with most coming from people who belong to wood turning clubs and such. Berea has a bunch of wood people around. Instruments and more, but still pottery & fine arts predominate. 
Then there are also the major craft shows, mostly adjacent to either mountain 2nd home money or within the scope of a major city and large customer area, also with money, that can be anyone that got on the panel that decides if they want your stuff to be sold at their show. Most do a VG job of keeping the best stuff on display. 
In my area with small shows, it's the lady who runs that show or festival and a very mixed bag choice wise as to who gets the spots. Not really a jury thing with them, mostly a phone conversation and so much non-art and non-crafts come in I got away from it all. More "fair food" and flea mkt.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!