iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the forum and have a few ?'s

Started by JP12, September 15, 2012, 10:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP12

Hey guys! I am new here, been lurking for a few years actually. A little about myself--been in and out of the wood products industry for the past ten years (Furniture manufacturing, sawmills, cabinet shops, Etc.). I have a degree in forestry/wood products, but currently working in the ag industry now for 4-5 years.
I have done some searching on the forum and see a lot of guys doing TSI on the side to get started in logging. I have done a few small acreage TSI projects for some friends who have woods, but I am curious as to how some of you approach other landowners and negotiate contracts. Do you charge hourly or by the acre? How do you negotiate the wood coming off the property? Do you bid on jobs or are you hired by word of mouth?

Sorry for the long post and I am sure everyone's milage will vary, but curious about details from the more experienced. Thanks!  :)

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum.  There are experienced people here that can answer your questions. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

mad murdock

Welcome JP12! It's been years since I logged full time in N Wisconsin and the U P, we logged mostly private timber and payed the landowner stumpage. Out here in the PNW private logging is done by contract usually, the going rate for the logger is 25-30% of log value.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Autocar

Most of my jobs come by word of mouth,but it has taken years for this to happen. Bidding on jobs you have to have your I's doted and your T's cross theres such a fine line on profit on bid jobs. You may try working jobs on a schare landowner has the wood and you cut and skid it then take it to the different mills this will give you a idea what it takes to make a profit then you can jump in with both feet. Good luck Bill
Bill

JP12

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like I have some things to think about and trying to get my costs nailed down. I guess I will just have to negotiate with each landowner as jobs come down the pipe and see which way works for me. I just want everything to be fair between myself and the landowner--my biggest concern is being an honest business man, not a guy just looking to make a buck! :)

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!